What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical Interval setting, 150 minutes for 9.98 miles. HR Zone 2-3 & a bit into 4.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Woke up early to get to the gym by 5, note on the door said they wouldn't open until 8. No explanation given, but not a delay I could afford to wait. Went home, showered/changed, and got to work early. No cardio for me for the second day in a row, which bizarrely enough I actually WANTED to do today. For years as an avid weightlifter, I dreaded cardio day as a necessary evil to endure and get out of the way...now, this morning I was disappointed I could not do cardio. What is happening to me?!?

Uh oh, @nossmf, this is the first sign that you are approaching the slippery slope leading to cardio bunny status! It's not too late though, since early diagnosis is the key to managing the disease.

So as long as you don't start buying skin tight brightly colored Lycra workout clothes, or tracking your workouts on social media platforms like Strava, Training Peaks or Garmin Connect, I'd say there's still hope for a full recovery. :)

My recovery from surgery has been slower than I'd hoped for, since I had a reaction to the betadine solution used on my abdomen and I still have a lingering cough and congestion. Antibiotics haven't really knocked out the symptoms, though I'm making some progress.

I'll ride with the tri club tonight and again tomorrow night. This is all indoor stuff, even with mild weather.

I'm in a 3 week countdown to completion of kitchen remodeling and then a15 day trip to Fla. I'll make up for lost swim, bike and run time once I get to Florida.

• swimmom_1
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Uh oh, @nossmf, this is the first sign that you are approaching the slippery slope leading to cardio bunny status! It's not too late though, since early diagnosis is the key to managing the disease.

So as long as you don't start buying skin tight brightly colored Lycra workout clothes, or tracking your workouts on social media platforms like Strava, Training Peaks or Garmin Connect, I'd say there's still hope for a full recovery. :)

My recovery from surgery has been slower than I'd hoped for, since I had a reaction to the betadine solution used on my abdomen and I still have a lingering cough and congestion. Antibiotics haven't really knocked out the symptoms, though I'm making some progress.

I Love This! LMAO! I NEVER heard of a "Cardio Bunny!"

@Djproulx I'm sorry to hear you aren't recovering as fast as you hoped. Now you need to add Iodine & Betadine to your allergy list!

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Woke up early to get to the gym by 5, note on the door said they wouldn't open until 8. No explanation given, but not a delay I could afford to wait. Went home, showered/changed, and got to work early. No cardio for me for the second day in a row, which bizarrely enough I actually WANTED to do today. For years as an avid weightlifter, I dreaded cardio day as a necessary evil to endure and get out of the way...now, this morning I was disappointed I could not do cardio. What is happening to me?!?

Welcome back to the dark side! I know you did it in your youth a lot. Sometimes, it's way different when you have to versus when you have a choice and enjoy it.

Today it was like 32 outside in Tucson (we had two inches of snow on the ground yesterday!). So just did a simple interval set -- 5 minutes as hard as sustainable/1 minute recovery. 2 intervals (each) on the Treadmill, then LateralX, and then Assault Bike. HR got up to 91% max by the last one. Gradual steps up each interval.

I've been leaving the lifting till Friday and not doing it on Thursday with my hard cardio sessions. I'm enjoying it more that way. Not as brutal.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,226 Member
    Options
    Hike in the old growth and old second-growth spruce and douglas-fir rain forest for 7.77 miles.

b6r4ijul17f2.jpg
    2r612edit04q.jpg
    i2jvpoarnvlo.jpg
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Cardio and Weight Lifting go hand and hand for me. I feel the cardio work allows me to lift harder, and recover faster between sets. Not to mention a hard cardio workout leaves me with a feeling close to that after lifting.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Lower body, core and cardio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 143/164
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 137/153

46 minutes lifting weights

Bodyweight Box Squats: 6*10
    Crunches: 6*30
    Resistance Band Twists: 5*10@80lbs
    Kettlebell Swings: 5*10@50lbs
    Kettlebell Romanian Deadlifts: 4*10@50lbs
    Weighted Side Bends: 4*10@20lbs

Stretched

Went light and high rep today after the heavy leg session on Wednesday.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options
    Got my hour on the treadmill, the one which elevates all the way to 30 degrees incline. Rather than a series of hills or series of speed variations, kept it simple...start at 1 degree and a fast walking pace, EMOM increase by 1 degree and decrease by .1 mph until I hit 30 at the halfway point, then spend the second half-hour doing the opposite, slowly decreasing incline while increasing speed.

In doing some reading online, I realized something I should have already known, that my smaller upper arms was likely not a product of actually having lost muscle but rather a decrease in glycogen stores since I'm not actively lifting. As soon as I pick up the weights again, those stores will rush back, and I'll be my old size again. Load off my mind!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical Interval setting, 150 minutes for 9.91 miles. HR Zone 2-3 & a bit into 4. Pushed to try to hit 10 miles but just didn't happen.

• swimmom_1
    Options
    Opened a cough drop early this AM. The wrapper has some inspirational sayings and I think they apply to us.
    -Conquer today
    -Let's hear your battle cry
    -Push on
    -Be resilient
    -Don't give up on you
    -Impress yourself today.
    All of these on a little cough drop wrapper!!!!
  • BigMech
    Options
    Got my hour on the treadmill, the one which elevates all the way to 30 degrees incline. Rather than a series of hills or series of speed variations, kept it simple...start at 1 degree and a fast walking pace, EMOM increase by 1 degree and decrease by .1 mph until I hit 30 at the halfway point, then spend the second half-hour doing the opposite, slowly decreasing incline while increasing speed.

That was one of my favorite workouts during lunch at work, though the treadmills there didn't go to 30 degrees. It's amazing how much work it takes to walk up a steep incline, even at a slow pace. Hits different muscles than walking or running on flat ground. The constant changes in speed and incline keep you from zoning out as well.

• BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this moring, Upper body, core and cardio.

Stretched

40 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 138/164
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 136/151

41 minutes lifting weights

Superset
    - Barbell Bench Press: 10@135, 10@145, 10@155, drop set: 10@165, 10@145, 10@125
    - Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns: 10@120, 10@140, 10@150, drop set: 10@160, 10@140, 10@120
    - Dumbbell Overhead Press: 10@25, 10@30, 10@30, drop set: 10@30, 10@25, 10@20

Superset:
    - Rope Triceps Press-Downs: 3*10@30lbs
    - Crunches: 3*25
    - Cable Bicep Curls:3*10@25lbs
    - Landmine Twists: 3*10@55lbs
    - Resistance Band Face Pulls: 3*10@80lbs

Stretched
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd maybe row and lift today, but shoulder hurts so I decided to nope that. More stationary bike, once again 60' (91W) + 3' CD (82W), 34% Z3, 64% Z2, remainder below, felt pretty easy tonight . . . as it should.

Probably rest day tomorrow, not sure about Monday because I'm driving a ways to another city for some Presidents Day social nonsense with rowing buddies at a brewpub. We'll see how it goes.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Cardio and Core.

Stretched

48 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 133/162
    32 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 131/147

24 minutes of core exercises

- Crunches: 5*30
    - Weighted Side Bends, each side: 5*10@40lbs
    - Landmine Twists: 4*10@65lbs
    - Kettlebell Romanian Deadlifts: 4*10@50lbs

Stretched
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes for 10.0 miles, zone 3 and a bit in 4.