February 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don’t know how some of you all run every day! Today made my third day in a row and my legs were so tired. Especially after I finished, showered for work and had to walk up a flight of stairs to exit the gym!.

I’ve never been an every day runner, but when I was doing 6 days a week during marathon training, I would sometimes end up with 8-9 days in a row because of my work schedule. I just got used to it. Early into the base building my legs were pretty tired but by the end it almost felt weird not to run. Even now I really don’t like to do 2 rest days in a row if I can avoid it. That seems to make my legs much stiffer than getting even a short run in.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    Got 7 miles in this morning. It was a slow easy recovery run that was truly easy! Had a come-to-Jesus moment at the beginning of the run and realized I shouldn't be fighting the slow pace, I should just embrace it and relax. After all, that is what a recovery run should be. And I FINALLY did it after all these years 😁

exercise.png

@Scott6255 well done on the 7! ... And you'll easily nail your monthly target πŸ’ͺ
  • martaindale
    Options
    @Teresa502 yeah, I never was able to run 2 days in a row for the first 9 years, but last year I decided to increase my weekly mileage, and 3 days a week wasn't going to cut it. So I gradually added 1 extra day, then about 6 months later I added another. At first the extra days were easy, short runs. Then they all just blended together. This year I added a 6th day, so now I only have Sunday off. If you asked me a year ago if I could run 6 days a week I would have fell on the ground laughing. But here we are 😁

This is kinda how it worked for me too. Originally 3 days a week (c25k), then added a 4th for my first HM. The fitness improvement was obvious with that extra day so went up to 5 for my next training cycle and stayed there until marathon training. 6 days is tough to fit into my life year round. 5 is a training happy place for me but I would consider going back to 6 for a little while if I was training for something specific. Every day I have added has made a noticeable difference in my fitness without dramatically increasing the mileage I am running day to day. Those extra days add up to a lot of extra miles every week.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @Teresa502 That race sounds like a fun time! Back to backs are great for endurance. The Hanson's plans build on that idea - cumulative fatigue. Each individual run isn't really all that long but because you are doing runs on tired legs, the long runs are simulating the last miles of your race, not the first miles.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Hey @Camaramandy648 😊 great to see you back! It's been awhile, but I see you most every day on Strava, so I know you've been busy, not to mention keeping up with your kids, dog, and work! Great goals, I'm sure you will meet them!