What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,971 Member
    Options
    LOL, I shall keep an eye on things. I did earn my letterman's jacket in both track (sprints) and cross-country back in high school, while I ran an estimated 50-60 5k's in college "for the fun of it" and the free t-shirt at the end, lol. Bad knees combined with excess weight in my late 20's/early 30's had me stop cardio entirely for a long time, and when I began lifting in my early 30's it became a near-obsession which left no room for cardio in my life. So this elbow injury may end up being a good thing, as it's forced me to become reacquainted with cardio while at a lower weight/higher overall fitness level than I've had in a decades, so who knows going forward? As a youth I once dreamed of completing a marathon; I don't ever anticipate doing that, as I love lifting too much, but I am already thinking once I can resume lifting that I'll have 4 days lifting/2 days hard cardio per week.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    LOL, I shall keep an eye on things. I did earn my letterman's jacket in both track (sprints) and cross-country back in high school, while I ran an estimated 50-60 5k's in college "for the fun of it" and the free t-shirt at the end, lol. Bad knees combined with excess weight in my late 20's/early 30's had me stop cardio entirely for a long time, and when I began lifting in my early 30's it became a near-obsession which left no room for cardio in my life. So this elbow injury may end up being a good thing, as it's forced me to become reacquainted with cardio while at a lower weight/higher overall fitness level than I've had in a decades, so who knows going forward? As a youth I once dreamed of completing a marathon; I don't ever anticipate doing that, as I love lifting too much, but I am already thinking once I can resume lifting that I'll have 4 days lifting/2 days hard cardio per week.

Lifting and cardio. Hmmm, if only there was a piece of fitness equipment that incorporated both, like a rowing machine! Seriously, you should try rowing. You might love it.

Today, I was supposed to row, but it was super windy and cold in Tucson. Yesterday, we broke the all time record for windy days in Tucson. Gusted at 50 MPH half the day. Today was better, but too windy and cold to row on the deck.

Instead, did my new interval rowing replacement favorite -- 5 minute intervals/1 minute recovery X 6 reps -- 2 each on treadmill, bike and elliptical. Felt decent and got up to 91% max HR by last rep.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,046 Member
    Options
    Still just slogging along not doing anything interesting. The ice storm materialized overnight, but - unlike for a lot of folks around here - my power stayed on, so far. More wind forecast tonight and still a decent ice load, so we'll see if that continues. I thought I might lift today, but I turned out to be wrong. 🙄😆 (I'm skeered, but also I don't like doing it . . . .).

So, just the regular stationary bike, 60' (101W) + 3' CD (83W). Average HR 128bpm, peak 149bpm (from a little push up into the 130s watts near the end), just under 4' Z4, more Z3 than Z2 the rest of the time but not by lots, only a tiny bit lower than Z2.

PT exercises on the agenda before bed as usual.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

@nossmf Your background is somewhat similar to mine, in that your high school age fitness "took a break" for a time as an adult, then returned thanks to lifting. When I regained fitness, I learned to enjoy lifting via help of a trainer. My trainer was also a private running coach, so it was only a matter of time before he had me running as well. Like your elbow injury, my posterior chain injuries forced me to consider alternatives, swimming and cycling, which ended up being a good thing for me.

Bottom line: Your Cardio Coyote status is safe! :)

• Djproulx
    Options
    First day back with my trainer yesterday. Balance work on BOSU (kneeling curl&press, rear foot elevated split squats, etc.) plus kettlebell RDLs and farmer's carries with modest weight. We did some 30 second rounds on the assault bike between sets. Felt good to be back there.

This morning I got out for another easy run. It consisted of seven rounds of 6 minutes each. Today I increased the run/walk ratio from 3:1 to 5:1. I felt comfortable with the easy 5 minute run blocks.
    I have a long way to go, but I'm getting comfortable with running again.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Happy Friday, y'all! Got an hour on the treadmill doing a "super-hill" up to 30 degrees incline and back. May play around with the speed setting...think I started off a little fast, took a while for my calves to stretch out and work effortlessly, even though on the back end I was actually going faster than at the first and felt like I wasn't having to work as hard.

Today's weigh-in Friday, and unlike last week where my weight didn't change, this week I lost a full pound. There's still hope I can get sub-180 by the start of April when I switch gears from heavy-cardio-losing to lifting-cardio-bulking. Can't wait!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting, 150 minutes for 9.94 miles all zone 3 & 4.
  • katemcd495
    katemcd495 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Strength day. Doing the beginner bodyweight workout from Nerd Fitness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,046 Member
    Options
    The usual nonsense.

Short machine row (which almost nearly close to hardly hurt at all - encouraging!), 2k at 2:23.9 pace and 21 spm overall. All but a few strokes of the last 500m below 2:20, OK power for a li'l ol' lady at well less than max effort (less than 1/3 of the 2k time in Z4, HR peaked at 156, about 87% HRmax, barely over 80% reserve, but 3 bpm over 220-age :D ). Used to be able to do 500m sub-2:00, probably can't anymore. 2' CD real easy at the end of the 2k.

Soon after, stationary bike 60' (98W) + 3' CD (85W), just trying to go along pretty easy. Almost all Z3.

PT exercises upcoming before sleep.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting, 150 minutes for 10.04 miles, zone 2 & 3.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Just to prove I'm not addicted to cardio, the most work I did today has been going from my upstairs bedroom to the main floor kitchen for food and back. Several repetitions, in fact.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,174 Member
    Options
    Another hike.

This one was only about 5.55 miles. Some of the same trails I hiked last week, but I started from a different place. Good call - the lower elevations were CROWDED since it was a nice sunny day. I started near the top, did a popular loop, hiked down to what used to the the end of a trail than now continues all the way up, then back to the top and added a steep loop... just because.

There was hills and snow and mud... and SUN!!!

I met a nice couple on the trail, twice, and we had a couple nice chats.

lrbmv026wffy.jpg
    m44i0o4qgbka.jpg

• Djproulx
    Options
    Three of us did an easy paced trail run today through the 2" of fresh snow. Temps were in the high 30s with no wind, so it was very nice in the woods. We ran most of the route, walking up the steep or rocky stretches, covering just over four miles in 58 minutes.

Winter is coming back to Ct this week, so I'll get in some lap pool work, zwift rides and two sessions with my trainer. Satisfied with my slow return to running, since I'm only slightly winded during the runs and not sore afterwards.
  • wywynot
    wywynot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Out on the bike, 90 min 18 miles, sunny day, winds were starting to pick up, about 40F in Chicago
  • nossmf
    Options
    Treadmill - incline hills, 1 hour. Rather than go all the way to 30 degrees incline with a slow speed, this time I varied between 10-20 degrees repeated while keeping the speed up. Jacked up the calorie burn while never taxing my breathing as much as the max incline did.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Been working hard, just not always posting. Did a steady state hour yesterday and today did a 30 minute row, restricted to 20 SPM, for distance. Averaged around 2:15, slight improvement from last week.