Damn you, 2022

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Well, bedside tables are uber-important. Oh, wait, I don't even have one. But still!
    They are the importanest thing! I mean, otherwise I'd need to put my lamp, book, other random stuff on the floor or on the bed next to me :D I mean, I need my phone but it doesn't mean I need to sleep with it o:)

Wishing you all the best for your exercises and hugs for your certain age pains <3
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just here to say that EDS sucks! I hope the shoulder gets figured out better soon!
  • yirara
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Dragged a few weights up. Few exercises to see what's possible at the moment after having lost pretty much my complete deltoid (and lots of other muscles).

Benchpress 6kg: 25reps, 5 sets
    Bentover rows 16kg: 12 reps, 5 sets (just about)
    Deadlifts just for form 2 sets before and after rows
    Biceps curls 8.5kg: 12 reps, 3 sets (anyone seen my right biceps?)
    Benchpress 8.5kg: 25 reps just because.
    Kneeling pushups: 6, 5, 3
    Oh well... it's a start :D And at least I can do those exercises without impingement.
    and now I await the coming of my waterweight overlord. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say that once again, you're looking pretty brave and determined, to my part of the audience. Wishing you progress without (re-)injury!
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm just here to say that once again, you're looking pretty brave and determined, to my part of the audience. Wishing you progress without (re-)injury!

Thanks a lot Ann <3 I see the lovely muscles in your profile pic, and I will get... well, likely not there, but I'll get some muscles back, and then some visible muscles back. A girl needs to have a goal, right? <3
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks a lot Ann <3 I see the lovely muscles in your profile pic, and I will get... well, likely not there, but I'll get some muscles back, and then some visible muscles back. A girl needs to have a goal, right? <3

Thank you, you're very kind, but god forbid I should be anyone's goal! I like my tris and even delts/lats pretty well, TBH, even though they're purely an accident of having my favorite kind of active fun. But underdevelopment of my upper body push muscles (and related imbalances) has me in physical therapy for a minor but nagging rotator cuff irritation . . . not the first time, either. 🙄 I'd be better off following your good example and going for good general strength/fitness.

I'm cheering for you to not only recover but accomplish all your goals - hope that goes without saying!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Damn you 2023! Orthopedic surgeon thinks I might have damaged the acromion during the accident, which in return causes impingement of the axillary nerve. Which basically means I still can't lift up my arm and the muscles in my front deltoid are atrophying. I'll have an appointment for a ct and neurologist this week to investigate this further. Worst case: another surgery. Meh.

I'm very sorry to hear this, @yirara . . . but if anyone can triumph in this kind of situation, you can. Your determination to thrive, and wiliness about how to get there, are exemplary.

I'm sending wishes for the best possible outcome for you!
  • yirara
    Options
    Aww, thanks a lot @AnnPT77
    Things are not looking too bad. On days where I'm not in pain I can nearly lift up my arm now by using muscles that normally only play a minor role in it and by creating more space underneath the acromion. Thus lifting weights and doing (trying to do) pushups is working. Today is my somewhat less favourite day with barbell rows (or kettlebell rows), reverse rows (pulling up to barbell in holder), biceps curls, flies, and I'll reward myself with some barbell squats, and always do normal, side and reverse planks. Somewhat less favourite day still means I'm enjoying it, though I do prefer push day :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Aww, thanks a lot @AnnPT77
    Things are not looking too bad. On days where I'm not in pain I can nearly lift up my arm now by using muscles that normally only play a minor role in it and by creating more space underneath the acromion. Thus lifting weights and doing (trying to do) pushups is working. Today is my somewhat less favourite day with barbell rows (or kettlebell rows), reverse rows (pulling up to barbell in holder), biceps curls, flies, and I'll reward myself with some barbell squats, and always do normal, side and reverse planks. Somewhat less favourite day still means I'm enjoying it, though I do prefer push day :)

You are very wily, in figuring these things out - finding what you can do. I like it. I don't know whether this will make sense to you, but it sort of psychologically inoculates me against the people who (sadly) think they can't exercise because (whatever) or hate all exercise, or other attitudinal . . . dare I call it this? . . . toxicity. Thank you.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Damn you 2023! Orthopedic surgeon thinks I might have damaged the acromion during the accident, which in return causes impingement of the axillary nerve. Which basically means I still can't lift up my arm and the muscles in my front deltoid are atrophying. I'll have an appointment for a ct and neurologist this week to investigate this further. Worst case: another surgery. Meh.

Oh no! Pulling for you, friend! 😕
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot Suzanne and Ann <3 I'm sure things will get better again eventually. I also have an appointment in an academic hospital for a consult. Glad I'm not in the US and health insurance is covering everything.

I had another little méh today: Quite a few years ago I bought 80kg of weights, a bar and two short bars. I'm using this to do exercises. So far I only dragged the bar and about 20kg of weights up. Today I decided to bring a bit more. And only found another 20kg. Basically 4 disks of 10kg each are missing. Like: how can something as random as 4x10kg go missing in a move? Maybe the movers thought they were too heavy, but come on! They packed up the other 40kg in 2 boxes. Not that I plan to do deadlifts now, but still...

Good news: yay, my muscles are coming back! At least those that still have a good nerve supply. I don't have Ann's definition, but I am quite proud of my deltoid and biceps. They are rather pretty and defined <3
  • yirara
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Today I did bench presses, seated dips with straight legs, triceps extensions, experimented with a rubber band row exercise, did face plants (aka kneeling pike pushups, thus not a faceplant from great height) and slow negatives as preparation for pushups. Didn't feel like doing lower body stuff today.

and I scored a cheap second-hand Lebert equalizer that should arrive mid next week.
  • yirara
    Options
    So basically have increased weight during my training, I continue doing mobility as well. Things going well. If there wasn't constant pain and an inability to lift my arm past 90 degrees. Finally found out what seems to be wrong (biceps tendon subluxing, and likely some more damage associated with that). If I put the tendon back in it's place my range of motion is nearly normal. And now the impingement I've had is also nearly gone. Yeah, after discussing with a university hospital on how to continue with this. Thus basically I'll likely have more surgery on June to remove the place and to fix all other issues. Lets see if the other issues remain. Lets hope not.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    So basically have increased weight during my training, I continue doing mobility as well. Things going well. If there wasn't constant pain and an inability to lift my arm past 90 degrees. Finally found out what seems to be wrong (biceps tendon subluxing, and likely some more damage associated with that). If I put the tendon back in it's place my range of motion is nearly normal. And now the impingement I've had is also nearly gone. Yeah, after discussing with a university hospital on how to continue with this. Thus basically I'll likely have more surgery on June to remove the place and to fix all other issues. Lets see if the other issues remain. Lets hope not.

Thanks for the update: I'm cheering for you, steady on. If surgery can improve it - maybe even fix it - that'll be a good call. You'll find a good route: you're a route-maker, not an obstacle inflator. Good stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That's just amazingly good news, @yirara! Pain reduction + functional improvement + bonus tinnitus relief, via a non-extreme intervention, and over the period of a week? Wow, just wow. Good show!
  • yirara
    Options
    Great, isn't it? Makes me wonder why doctors didn't investigate properly to start with, but at least this problem seems to be solved.
  • yirara
    Options
    So yeah, too early celebration. My biceps tendon still gives me problems every few days. But I'm regaining strength. I can now do front and lateral raises. With a low weight, mind. But I can do them. Woohoo.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh, and overhead presses work as well. Got a new 10 rep record with 8.5kg :D Lets be honest, I need to hold the barbell a bit wider as totally vertically straight up is still a problem, but hey! And I manage to do a banded row where you pull the band horizontally, then twist the upper body and stretch the arm towards the back. Not sure what that's called, but it's fun.