What are your BACK DAY staples?

Options
auveum
auveum Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Today is back & biceps. I always start up with Assisted Pull-ups to help get me to my goal to one Unassisted, so pullups are my staple. I need some different exercises to incorporate into my workouts, I'm hitting a plateau...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Always a COMPOUND ROW of some sort, a high row, low row and pullover.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You should try inverted rows to build up to a pullup, and just doing the negative portion of a pullup.

My staples are, horizontal and vertical in each workout, four days apart:

Workout 1:
    Barbell row
    Pullups & Chinups
    Face pulls

Workout 2:
    Pullups & Chinups
    T-bar rows
    Incline bench shrugs

Biceps I do separately in a short myo-reps arms routine.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    Feel free to swap out BB row for cable row or DB rows. I second the use of inverted rows (lie beneath a bar in the squat rack, pull yourself to the bar) or negative portion of pullups, while cable pulldowns can also help while building to the point of using your own weight. The assisted pullup machine exists for a reason, don't be embarrassed to use it if needed.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I run a push/pull split. Most of the muscles in my back I hit on 'pull' days. A typical 'pull' workout for me:
    1a. Barbell rows or Pendlay rows
    1b. EZ bar curls

2a. Dead lift
    2b. DB lateral raises or Plate front raise

3a. Pull up or chin up
    3b. Landmine row

Barbell rows, dead lifts and pull ups are non-negotiable. I frequently swap out exercises in my super sets. (lat pull downs, cable rows, t-bar rows, face pulls, shrugs, etc.)
    Sets and reps vary. I generally have one power day and one volume day each week. I second taking advantage of the assisted pull-up machine or even using bands to assist.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don’t break my sessions down into body part splits but back work is pretty essential for me. I get a lot of benefit from hyper-extension holds and rows, or hypers with the bar on my back, scapula pull ups and scap press ups, face pulls, bent over rows, lat pulls and general core stability work (from deadbugs and v/sits to ab wheel roll outs, hanging leg raises, single arm tempo OHP in split jerk etc). Anything which is slow and controlled tends to tax me!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    auveum wrote: »
    Today is back & biceps. I always start up with Assisted Pull-ups to help get me to my goal to one Unassisted, so pullups are my staple. I need some different exercises to incorporate into my workouts, I'm hitting a plateau...

Hi
    Its a bit difficult to give you different lifts to perform when you aren't disclosing your current lift selection, rep scheme, and frequency.

It's not a certain lift that will get you to your goal of one pull up, it's proper programming of strength overtime with appropriate intensities with a sprinkle some specificity of your goal.