Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think people are realistic about what being healthy can do for us?

shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
I know a lot of folks who are eating better, losing weight, exercising, etc... do so because they think it's healthier for them. So I'm wondering...

What DOES being healthy do for us? (fight off illness better, less wear and tear, longer lives, what do you feel like it does for you?)

Do you think you are realistic about what being 'healthy' can do for you?

Do you think people in general are realistic about what being 'healthy' can do for themselves?

Because while I think there's a lot of studies on various conditions we can develop if we are nutrient deficient, or have too much excess weight or cholesterol, etc... That is just a small list of what can, well, bejank our bodies.

I don't think anyone would argue that we can control what genes we can inherit from our parents, or control what injuries we get from any accidents that might occur (get hit by a car, for example). We are exposed to bacteria and viruses whether we want to or not. We are exposed to various toxins without our being aware (like in Flint, Michigan).

But I still frequently see people who will, say, develop an incurable illness, or an injury that isn't fully treatable, and react with shock, or even anger, because 'I did everything right. I ate healthy, i exercised, I took care of myself.' (I see much less of people who think good health doesn't impact anything)

As though being healthy meant they could never have anything bad happen to their body again.

You even see it, constantly, in media, as though if you just do certain things, make certain habits, you won't get sick or ill. 'The 6 Secrets of Super Healthy People.' '30 secrets of people who never get sick' '9 habits of people who never get sick' (these are all real articles, btw).

So to repeat:
What DOES being healthy do for us?

Do you think you are realistic about what being 'healthy' can do for you?

Do you think people in general are realistic about what being 'healthy' can do for themselves?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    What does "Being Healthy" do for us? It gives us the best chance of good outcomes based on where we started.

There are a number of "health measures" that are correlated with various outcomes. Obesity is linked to type 2 diabetes. Avoiding becoming obese or losing weight to a healthy weight if you are reduces the odds you will be stricken. Are there obese people who never get diabetes or healthy weight people who do? Sure. It's correlation, not causation. There is a correlation with leading a sedentary lifestyle with other poor health outcomes. Moving your body decreases the chances of illness or death from these factors. Smoking is correlated with emphysema and lung cancer. Avoiding smoke increases your chances of avoiding these diseases. There are people who live to over 90 years old who smoke cigars every day and drink plenty of booze. It's correlation, not causation.

Think about playing a game of draw poker. Let's say you get four aces in your hand on the initial deal. Odds are pretty good you'll win the hand, and of course since you get to SEE the cards, you know what your odds are. Life is different because we don't get to see the cards. Then there's also two other hands that will beat your four aces, so you're not even guaranteed a win. An "unhealthy" choice would be to put down three of those four aces and drawing three fresh cards. Odds are you'll come out with a lower hand, but maybe you'll get a Royal Flush if you're holding one of the five cards needed in addition to the ace and draw the other three. Most likely you'll be in a worse situation. If all you have in your hand is a pair of twos, you'd be wise to trade in some cards and hope for a better outcome.

Doing things that are correlated with good health outcomes are like trading in a poor hand for a good hand or keeping the good hand you were dealt initially. It's making personal decisions that might lead to good outcomes, but no guarantees.

Yes, cards are a pretty poor analogy, but some aspects apply. It also doesn't speak to the issue of how you FEEL. I know that my body feels better and has more energy and fewer aches and pains if I give it some exercise and feed it good fuel. That's of course subjective, but I think it's extremely common.
  • shaumom
    Well, I'm 68 and a lot of people I know are dead or very ill. The ones that take care of themselves--exercise, eat right, and keep their weight at a reasonable level, can still walk and do normal things. THAT'S the idea. Statistics are on your side. Using the "well I could get hit by a car, or get cancer, or blah, blah" are just excuses. Keeping up normal functions for as long as possible, is the idea. Quality of life in old age is what we're striving for, but you do you.

So, then, in your opinion, what healthy does for us is making it more likely we maintain functionality and quality of life, as we get older, yes?

But not sure about something you said, so just want to check. When you're mentioning someone saying 'well I could get hit by a car, etc...' and that this is an excuse, do you mean an excuse someone uses to NOT bother worrying about being 'healthy?'

Or basically, are you trying to say you think that some people choose to not bother worrying about maintaining their health by copping a kind of 'I have no control, so why bother' type of reasoning? That essentially, they aren't reasonable about what being healthy can do for a person, in terms of considering the potential positives?
  • shaumom
    I was healthy before I got cancer. I climbed mountains for fun —big ones. And ran marathons and did yoga and pilates and spin and swimming and I was at a healthy weight. It did not prevent me from getting the most aggressive form of breast cancer (triple negative ) that you can get. But I firmly believe that my pre-cancer lifestyle helped me beat it. ... Low/healthy weight is but one factor among many that contributes to health outcomes, but it is one we have more direct control over than most other factors. So why not try to do what we can to improve the metrics somewhat? Not so much to prolong life, but to make it more livable.

Congratulations on beating that crap. I am glad that you are doing better again, since recovering. I know for myself, making my life as livable as I can is definitely one of my motivations in trying to get my body in better shape as I get older.
  • shaumom
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Side note: but 'healthy' is a vague term too. Healthy weight? Other things?

The number one reason I lost weight was not because of the odds, but simply because I was tired of being obese. The physical side of it and the lack of self confidence.
    Risk of cardiac issues and diabetes minimal in my case (based on family history) but just seeing my mom struggle with just plain walking at a normal speed definitely pushed me in the right direction too.
    Feeling how i feel now, just reinforces my motivation to stay at my current weight. Because it feels great. Better odds of not getting ill and better quality of life later on is a bonus.

OH yeah, 'healthy' is super vague, but that's kind of why I was curious how different people view it, and what they think it can do for them, you know?

So, kind of a combination of avoiding some negative situations/consequences, plus having some positives of quality of life, is what you'd say being healthy does for you?

Do you think that you viewed it the same when you started out as you do now, in terms of what matters more? (avoiding negative, gaining positive) Or has your view changed as you've made more progress to your goal?

• shaumom
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    My father and grandfather died of heart attacks at age 51. I was 40 and 388 pounds. I've lost 160 pounds in a little over a year. Maybe I still will die at age 50-51 but I'll at least enjoy my life a hell of a lot more! I'm turning 41 in a couple of months and will be running my first 5km on April.2nd race in 15 years

Oh, hey, congratulations! I hope you have a fabulous time. :)

Do you feel like you have seen a lot of noticeable positive effects from losing the weight? Is it what you expected, or were their some surprises as your health has changed?
  • shaumom
    It's not measurable, but feeling good is, in my book, a health benefit. Not just physically, but mentally. I'm proud of myself and excited about my progress, and I love that my clothes fit again. It probably makes me a more pleasant human being. My relationships benefit, my quality of life improves, I have more fun, etc.

I do know that while I can't be sure I'm going to live longer, I for sure know I'd rather have fully mobile hips during the years I have left!

Viewing good health as something that isn't quantifiable seems very viable. Seems like a lot of folks view quality of life as a big part of what they view good health to do for us, and that's just so hard to pin down, as it just means something different for each of us, yeah?

And I totally get it making me a more pleasant person? I am SO much more able to be kind and patient if I am consistently active. Just elevates my mood. I hadn't thought about it being more than just me, LOL.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited March 2023
    shaumom wrote: »
    Well, I'm 68 and a lot of people I know are dead or very ill. The ones that take care of themselves--exercise, eat right, and keep their weight at a reasonable level, can still walk and do normal things. THAT'S the idea. Statistics are on your side. Using the "well I could get hit by a car, or get cancer, or blah, blah" are just excuses. Keeping up normal functions for as long as possible, is the idea. Quality of life in old age is what we're striving for, but you do you.

So, then, in your opinion, what healthy does for us is making it more likely we maintain functionality and quality of life, as we get older, yes?

But not sure about something you said, so just want to check. When you're mentioning someone saying 'well I could get hit by a car, etc...' and that this is an excuse, do you mean an excuse someone uses to NOT bother worrying about being 'healthy?'

Or basically, are you trying to say you think that some people choose to not bother worrying about maintaining their health by copping a kind of 'I have no control, so why bother' type of reasoning? That essentially, they aren't reasonable about what being healthy can do for a person, in terms of considering the potential positives?

I think many people KNOW they need to do something to better their health situation, especially as they age. Younger folks are more inclined to think of the aesthetics because normally health problems hit when you're older.

Many, I think the majority, put off doing something about it with excuses (as @88olds has said many times--your mind works against you and lies). The excuses are sometimes the "why bother" or "what happens, happens", until IT DOES HAPPEN. The excuses are because they don't want to make the effort.

We had very good friends like that here, in Italy, they justified not exercising, even walking very far, and eating all the foods (they were eating healthy after all), and both became obese, which is an anomaly for here. They have 10 yrs on us, but are now almost home bound, both have had strokes, and can hardly walk. They still don't recognize their past lifestyle as the problem.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    If Covid didnt wake people up to the fact that being healthy is advantageous than nothing will. The 2 biggest factors in 99.9% of Covid deaths were age and obesity. Now we cant stop aging, but we sure as hell can control obesity and how well we do age. The bottomline with Covid was, if you were healthy before you got it, you werent going to die.....Now everyone can pull up some outliers on anything, but the stats and numbers dont lie. The pandemic should be everyone's wake up call that while being in the best health you can be in is not going to make you invincible, it will never be a detriment and could possibly save your life when things do go bad. I generally rarely get sick, i too got Covid. Im 52 and barely knew i had it. Being healthy did not stop me from getting it, but it damn sure helped how it effected me. There are tons of reasons to take care of yourself. In an unfair world where so many times you cannot control the narrative, but your own personal health and fitness is directly in your control. Its a great way to 'win" everyday in a world that so many times seems unfair. You can control what you eat, and how you exercise.....its awesome. There are no gaurantees that something might not come along that is out of your control one day and destroy your health and well being like cancer, or some type of accident. But if that day ever came not only is being healthy your best shot of living through it, but there is nothing more painful than losing rhe ability to do something that you always wanted but never got around to doing. You never know what tomorrow may bring so why not live your best life today.

In general, being in otherwise good health helped people who got COVID fare better. Certainly not across the board. A group of nine friends, all healthy individuals who eat well and have their weight well under control, all got COVID the same day/place. Ages ranged between 34 and 57 years old. Symptoms were all over the map. The worst case was a 39-year old, very active, until an injury was routinely running in and finishing competitively in 100-mile trail-running races. One of the older two or three people who really could stand to lose 50-75 pounds but is active in his job was the first to test positive; he said it was more mild than the mildest cold he ever had. A few weeks later, a 45-year-old friend who is very healthy and active and who is near ideal weight got it. His was worse than all of ours. There seemed to be no pattern except none were hospitalized, and all survived.

Cards.....