Wegovy

Options
Hi Everyone,

So I'm 47 years old and have been on Wegovy injections since last February 2022 and I've lost 40lbs. It's a great accomplishment to finally be in a size 14 and actually feel skinny. But what hard work did I accomplish? Where do I feel good about what I've done. I'm toying with the idea of stopping Wegovy BUT I also don't want the weight to come back, that really scares me. I do have mental health struggles and physical ailments. So me going full bore after stopping Wegovy won't happen for me. It will definitely be a struggle. Anyone out there that can relate? Advice? I feel so alone. Thank You,
Kim

Replies

• Kimma41
    Kimma41 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sollyn do you still take injections?
  • bpaine0715
    bpaine0715 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Never done the shots but on top of what everyone else has mentioned maybe talk to your doctor bout tapering off (if possible). Then maybe wouldn't be such a 180 give your mind and body time to get used to everything above instead of just cold turkey 1 day not having it.
  • harringtona1
    harringtona1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Full Day 1: injection last night was easy. It can't be from the meds already at .25 but for posterity, I was tired today and less than normal appetite for a Saturday. Was fine at 1300-1400 calories. Got 11.5k steps (laundry day).

I've been reading some horror stories on WebMD about really bad side effects. But they don't share what other risk factors they had for side effects - other meds or issues, fried food or alcohol... Who knows? My only is that I'm vegetarian and usually don't eat enough protein. I'm gonna have to supplement. So... There's that info.
  • harringtona1
    Options
    Kimma - what is the concern with taking this med long term? Where is the root of that? That's just a thing for some of us 🤷‍♀️ I don't love taking SSRI, but it vastly improves my days. I hate taking meds (I don't take pills for headaches. I want to solve the issue.) But sometimes the issue is best solved and safely with meds. It's a miracle! If I have to take it for life to stay healthy, I will. Maybe my body will create a lower set point. But I think I waited too long to attack this. Now it's chronic. And that means this med possibly. We'll see. I'm not against it. It is what it is, I guess.
    I wish you peace in this, whichever decision to take.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    sure, some meds are life long and that is unavoidable.

I am on thyroxine medication for life after surgically having half my thyroid removed due to a tumour - that is unavoidable

But I wouldnt be keen on taking a medication long term that is avoidable - ie that I could acheive same thing without the meds or at least without them long term.

and, in Australia anyway, they are also very expensive, unless for diabetes.
  • harringtona1
    Options
    Yup I get all that. Not having to be on meds is better than having to be on meds for sho. We'll see how this goes. For now, I'm only on day 4 🤣
    That said: no side effects yet. And appetite continues to subside. I didn't quite get to 1000 calories today, though, so I'll need to watch it.
  • harringtona1
    Options
    I agree. It's def more than appetite. In fact, I didn't know it was an appetite suppressant at all until I read more. It's the part about getting those darn sugars broken down. I'm jazzed! But I will enjoy the appetite part too 😁. It's giving me a shot at intermittent fasting.
    Now if I can just get off this delicious coffee creamer, I'll be nailing it. But I like it so much.
    Did anyone give up something big that they really liked but wasn't good for them?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    lose40450 wrote: »
    It's more than appetite suppression. I had been averaging 1400 - 1450 calories a day for 3 months and my weight just stayed within a 2 pound range. And it was miserable with the cravings and hunger. 1 week on Wegovy my daily average dropped to 1350 - the hunger and cravings were diminished considerably - and I dropped 1.8 pounds below the lowest weight I had been seeing the last 3 months. I know someone is going to say I wasn't counting carefully or accurately or whatever - but I'm counting by a consistent means - so one week at roughly 700 calories less and I dropped nearly 2 pounds - it's more than appetite suppression.

I'm 50 and going through menopause. Prior to my early 40's I confidently believed in CICO but these days that math ain't mathing.
    lose40450 wrote: »
    It's more than appetite suppression. I had been averaging 1400 - 1450 calories a day for 3 months and my weight just stayed within a 2 pound range. And it was miserable with the cravings and hunger. 1 week on Wegovy my daily average dropped to 1350 - the hunger and cravings were diminished considerably - and I dropped 1.8 pounds below the lowest weight I had been seeing the last 3 months. I know someone is going to say I wasn't counting carefully or accurately or whatever - but I'm counting by a consistent means - so one week at roughly 700 calories less and I dropped nearly 2 pounds - it's more than appetite suppression.

I'm 50 and going through menopause. Prior to my early 40's I confidently believed in CICO but these days that math ain't mathing.

it is still CICO - these meds allow you to excrete more sugar (that's why they are primarily for diabetics)

so effectively your body is absorbing less calories. You have changed the CI from your food part - CICO principle hasnt changed.

• lose40450
    lose40450 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Ok, and I'm just at the threshold of T2 diabetes, I would say it allows my body to operate - process calories - how it should. Like I said 700 fewer calories a week doesn't equal nearly 2 pounds loss. I ingested apx 10,000 calories for the week, would that mean my TDEE is under 500 calories a day? I think it's performing a correction in me - and maybe that's what you're saying about excreting more sugar - that allows for CICO to work. And I think that's a significant point - it can help your body behave as it should.