Overhead press without hurting back?

Options
46 F non-althlete here. Just starting weights and looking fo build up some strength.

My lower back has a weak spot that hurts sometimes if I strain it, no big deal but it’s annoying. I am hoping if I build up my core this might improve.

I’d like to do some light overhead presses as part of my routine. The amount I can physically lift with my arms can cause strain on my back.

If I reduce the weight and keep my back comfortable, will I eventually be able to increase the weight, do you think? (I know nobody knows!! And nobody can offer medical advice!)

Have you experienced strengthening your core and improving minor back weaknesses?

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Have your hands in a neutral position facing towards you when pressing up and don’t arch your back.

Try it unilaterally as this can be better until your core gets stronger. Use light weight to start and work on your form
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Interesting. If I understand correctly, this will shift some burden away from my spine and toward my core, shoulders, and arms?

I will try that. My next overhead press day isn’t till Thursday but will give it a shot.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It sounds like you need to build up your core. That should be your first priority. Then when doing lifts like OHP, make sure you are engaging your core and managing your breathing correctly.

Exercises to improve your core include plank, or if that's too easy there are ways to progress it. Also hollow body knee raise, bird dog, and reverse hypers. If you don't have access to a machine for reverse hypers, you can do them with bodyweight from a firm bed or table.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    Retroguy2000, I want to thank you for your suggestion of planks. I’ve started doing them daily, one minute at a time twice daily. Obviously it’s too early to have any real results but I really feel like they will be very useful to me.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good stuff. The world record is 9 1/2 hours btw. Which I mention just to reinforce that you may have to think about progression before long :smile:

Try the hollow body hold next. And the reverse hypers. Don't hyper extend those as some videos will incorrectly show, just raise to parallel. Good luck!
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Interesting. If I understand correctly, this will shift some burden away from my spine and toward my core, shoulders, and arms?

I will try that. My next overhead press day isn’t till Thursday but will give it a shot.
    yes you want to engage the core when you do the lift. The core is used in almost all exercises and engaging it will assist with the lifts as well as protect the low back. Do direct core exercises as mentioned by the other poster.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that core is a 360-degree kind of thing: I'm mostly seeing the linear exercises recommended so far, but it's good to have some rotational/anti-rotational core exercises in the mix as well. Some plank reach-through or rotational plank variations are one possibility as you're able to progress planks to do those safely, palloff presses and their variations, various carries including offset carries, etc.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your programming or response there isn't a solid advice other than utilizing appropriate intensities with sufficient volume within well written programming hopefully with auto regulation is the scientific and proven way to lower injury risk.

If you are experiencing some sort of back tweak, I certainly would look into your programming including frequency, intensity, volume, lift selection, possibly technique, and what response you are trying to elicit by overhead pressing. I'm not sure your reasoning for wanting to increasing weight in relation to your goal(s) but it certainly would help to know how you are measuring adaptations before we add weight as well as your goal(s).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Form is usually the first culprit. Get your form assessed first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • herringboxes
    Options
    To be clear, my back issue is not weights-related, I had it for some years and only recently started the exercise. I seem to strain it when bending over a lot, whether with housework or yardwork or whatever.

I don’t “need” to increase my weight on OHP. I just can’t lift anywhere near what my arms can do. I’m lifting light, just started, I just could at least double the weight if my back was fine.

I have been just really concentrating on working my core. I’m seeing results in general, but my back is still kind of sensitive to the same issues. It’s way to early tovthink it’s not working, though.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    To be clear, my back issue is not weights-related, I had it for some years and only recently started the exercise. I seem to strain it when bending over a lot, whether with housework or yardwork or whatever.

I don’t “need” to increase my weight on OHP. I just can’t lift anywhere near what my arms can do. I’m lifting light, just started, I just could at least double the weight if my back was fine.

I have been just really concentrating on working my core. I’m seeing results in general, but my back is still kind of sensitive to the same issues. It’s way to early tovthink it’s not working, though.

Form also applies to daily life, in the sense that movement patterns or postural issues can cause or aggravate problems. Many or most of my physical issues have their roots in daily life stuff, though loading up during exercise can trigger some body part to go from merely irritable to actually painful.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    That is a great point!!

I have been extremely bad about using my body as intended, in particular avoiding the squatting position.

A few weeks ago, I could not do a single squat, and struggled to get up from the foor - despite normal weight.

I’ve been working at it and while my progress is hardly impressive, I’m quite pleased that I can do unweighted squats now and, with effort, can go to a deep squat on my heels and get up without pushing off with my hands.

So now when I’m getting an onion from the bottom drawer of my fridge, I do a deep squat instead of bending over like I used to.

I guess I will need to notice if some of my activities should be done differently, whether using a squat or bending over in a better way (using the knees more).

Folks, I have neglected the heck out of my knees and my back has paid the price. But NO MORE 💪
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You mention recurring back problems over a span of time. Assuming you're in the US, have you sought out physical therapy for that, and if not, can you? A good physical therapist can assess your movement patterns, and find some things that may not be obvious, then recommend interventions to improve them.

Just as an example - not to say that this specific thing would apply to you - I was assessed because of knee pain. The popular wisdom is that that's due to weak quads - which is often true. In my case, the therapist found that my quad strength was very good (from exercise activity I'd been doing a long time). However, I had tightness (reduced mobility) in my hips that was negatively affecting my gait, causing more knee stress. I would've had no idea. The prescribed exercises truly helped.

If you're not able to access physical therapy in person, you might check out "Bob & Brad" on YouTube. They're long-experienced professional physical therapists with lots of good video content, including lots on low back issues. (I'd caution that while their physical therapy advice seems good - has been endorsed by friends who have expertise - their comments on diet seem quite questionable to me . . . but that's outside their scope of practice.)

• herringboxes
    Options
    That’s a great idea. Really great. I’m thinking I might do that, try to get PT through my GP’s office.

Will have to wait till July because I’ll be away, but I like the idea a lot.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you're not able to access physical therapy in person, you might check out "Bob & Brad" on YouTube. They're long-experienced professional physical therapists with lots of good video content, including lots on low back issues. (I'd caution that while their physical therapy advice seems good - has been endorsed by friends who have expertise - their comments on diet seem quite questionable to me . . . but that's outside their scope of practice.)
    lol, Bob and Brad. I started watching them after my knee replacement. Pretty good info however yes, their diet advice, along with most YouTubers is not accurate.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    While building up your core, why not do your OHP from a sitting position? This can greatly reduce the stress on the lower back.

Another idea is to try lifting unilaterally, meaning one arm at a time. Stand next to a vertical support (like the cable machine or a door jamb) and grasp it with the arm closest while you lift a DB with the other arm. The support can help keep better posture while you work, basically an intermediate step between a seated version and a standing two-handed version.
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, you might want to get a physical therapist to take a look. Some back pain is caused by joints being locked up or out of place and exercising isn't going to help. In fact, it could hurt. A good physical therapist will also give you tips on keeping your back safe during exercise.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    I hesitated before bumping this thread back up again, but why not.

I’ve just kept working on the overhead press while not pushing it too hard, just letting my core catch up. I no longer feel like my back is weaker than my arms, they feel in sync. Which is great!

I’ve been thinking scoliosis my be a big factor for me overall. I’ve paid it no mind all my life but suddenly it feels like it may answer a lot of questions.

I’m sure everybody hates squats, but I feel like I might hate them at least 25% more than the average person. As a newbie, I try to learn good form, and one thing I read said to push through the heels to return to standing.

Wow, this simple and obvious instruction has proved quite difficult for me! I don’t even see how I can contort my body to be able to do that. My weight balances on the forward part of my foot, and my efforts to rebalance to heels have thus far been unsuccessful. I’m sure I could be much stronger pushing from the heels, sounds quite lovely. I wonder if scoliosis could be a factor affecting my form there.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have tight, inflexible calves preventing you shifting your weight further back on your heels. Try stretching your calves out before your next squat session. Easiest way is to stand about 2 feet from a wall, facing it. Stretch out your arms as if you were going to do a pushup from the wall. Now lower your torso towards the wall, keeping your feet flat against the ground, until you feel a stretch in your calves. Wait for 10-15 seconds, push back to upright for 10-15 seconds. Lean forward again, this time aiming for just a hair deeper than the first time, and repeat for a total of 3-4 stretches. Do this before and after each squat session.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    Will try that today 💪