Natural food better than vaccinations?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    We've tried very hard to let this discussion continue. But if the debate doesn't maintain a respectful tone and stay on topic, we will be forced to lock it. Please remember that ALL opinions and perspectives are valid and welcomed. You can disagree, but attacks and insults are not acceptable.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

17) Please stay on-topic, and help us make our forums a "No Hijacking" zone. Users come to MyFitnessPal for support and encouragement. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are discouraging and disrespectful, and will be deleted. Repeated offense may result in revocation of posting privileges. Please either contribute positively to a thread, or move on without posting.

Please keep it respectful at all times.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    I read the first post in this topic and cannot read further because I get so angry about this so called "debate" that my blood pressure rises incredibly high, I get pissed off, and I can't sleep.

Vaccines are a victim of their own success. It is so frustrating.

I have a sick child that isn't fortunate enough to receive all of the usual vaccines. She has a poor immune system and at the age of 1 is not allowed to get MMR because it is a live vaccine AND because she received certain blood products.

This forces me to rely on the stupidity of others to protect my child which puts me into mama bear mode and gets me angry.

Deaths/Illnesses I have seen personally that could have been preventable
    1 aunt - polio. Suffered paralysis
    1 uncle - polio. Deformations
    1 baby - died. RSV
    2 babies - died only 2 weeks after going home from NICU from pertussis (whooping cough)
    1 sister in law - hospitalization due to chicken pox as an adult.

NONE of these could have been prevented by healthy eating or exercise.

That is all.

First of all, I do not have children. I have a niece and two nephews who are all young and I love them very much. I respect that you (people who don't vaccinate) believe differently than I do. I won't try to argue with you if you don't act like people who actually DO vaccinate their children are horribly bad parents.

I totally agree with the quoted post. The resurgence of pertussis in this country that is killing small children is simply a failure of vaccination. Adults with pertussis don't have the "whoop" when they cough, so don't recognize pertussis. It kills small children because their throats are smaller and the same swelling that causes the whooping cough restricts the airways sufficiently to kill the child. The CDC has changed their recommendations to include a TdaP (Tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) to replace at least one routine tetanus shot (which is recommended every 10 years) in order to address that issue.

Some vaccines, specifically chix pox and MMR are given to children because the consequences are so severe. Not so much with chix pox, but German measles can cause some serious problems, developmentally and physically. It is even more serious in an unvaccinated adult women who happens to be pregnant - both chix pox and rubella can cause serious birth defects.

For the persons who do not vaccinate their children - I would be worried about my children spreading it to ones like she is talking about above who cannot get their vaccines. Even if your kids aren't getting sick, they are still able to spread it to others. The same goes for vaccinated children. And IF a vaccinated child gets sick, they could be potentially less ill than an unvaccinated child. That might make the difference between deafness (or worse) from a communicable disease and recovering fully.

For the argument that those diseases aren't in our country right now - our horizons have expanded. You might be sitting next to someone tomorrow on your morning commute who was exposed to polio two days ago on a trip to another country. It could be right now if you're in public. All of those far-off places where vaccines exist safely isolated are not nearly so isolated as our minds tell us.

I think some of it was also stated earlier, when someone mentioned that we have little idea of what the diseases we vaccinate against can really do. Part of it is the very ego-centric attitude much of this country has adopted, and also propagates. You may see the television commercials (for the US Army, I believe) stating that we have the best health care in the world and think that if your child gets measles that it will be OK because we can treat it. This is so not the case. As a country, we spend more health care dollars for less value than many other nations. There are some categories of health care measures where the US is hardly above nations far less developed. Doctors are still taught what the diseases look like, but not all of them would be able to recognize measles in its initial presentation. So please don't assume that our "great" health care system will take care of you.

FYI, Dr. Wakefield, the man behind the "Vaccines cause Autism" hoopla did in fact lose his license to practice medicine in the UK. However, he is now practicing in Texas. Good job, America.

Just my six cents worth. Hey, I'm not cheap!

I appreciate your post.I agree with you entirely on everything you said even though I am a non-vaccinating parent. I am well aware of the diseases we vaccinate against as well as the complications that can arise from becoming infected with those diseases. My son's doctor has refreshed himself on the early signs/symptons of all the diseases as well.

Earlier last year they thought my older son did indeed have whooping cough and they started treating him although a test confirmed it was not whooping cough. My 18 month old had measles at 13months old. We went to the doctor 2x a week during the duration of the disease. We always came in a side door and was put straight into a room so that our child would never come into contact with anyone else. My 4 year old did not get measles even though we did nothing to prevent him from getting it.There was not another single case of measles brought into my sons doctor office even though a large number of his patients are not fully vaccinated nor naturally immune.

I know this wouldn't be the case with all diseases but I feel we all handled it responsibly. I do not want to expose anyone to a disease which is another reason my child will not go to public daycare or school. I understand that my son could expose others before he shows symptons.
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    My husband is 31 he hadn't had chickenpox as a child so as a young adult he got the chickenpox vaccination (before I met him I am not 100% sure how old he was) anyway when I was pregnant with our first child 2007 he was 27 and he got shingles and they could not figure out why he got it .. and he has had it 3x since then and the last time we went to a walk in clinic since we were out of town when they hit him again and the dr. there told us it couldn't be shingles because he got the vaccination and that prevents shingles too well they scraped a sample off and we got a call a week later that it was indeed shingles ... oh and he has had shingles 4x total first time I was pregnant , second time we had a 8week old baby , third time we were in the hospital with our baby and his sleep apnea and the fourth time we had a 2 year old and a 3 month old .. each time my husband was still involved with our family we were cautious and we prevented our children from getting chickenpox now that they are both older if hubby happens to get shingles again we aren't going to be so careful I want my kids to get chickenpox its a normal childhood thing and I think it is best if they get it naturally !! My best friend was pregnant when she found out she had been neither vaccinated or had the disease and if she had gotten it the outcome would have been ALOT worse than if she had just gotten it as a child.

And just something else I have wondered about is chickenpox and the number of people who make it to adulthood without receiving a vaccination and without ever having chickenpox I would think that chickenpox would be the one disease you were LIKELY to get ... I haven't researched this so I have no clue why but just something I was thinking about
    I'd like to see clinical studies on adults who have had shingles yet were vaccinated. I'm more than sure that people that have been vaccinated that don't get shingles will be in much much larger numbers than those that have. Again no medicine is perfect, but benefit outweighs results.
    It seems that you correlate what may happen in your life personally to your belief in vaccinations. IMO, that would be like saying crime is high because you were held up at gun point when in fact crime is actually down statistically. Doesn't mean that crime doesn't happen, it just means that doing some of the things we have done have reduced it. You could well say that spending more money on Police did nothing for you, but it has done lots for others. Just a perspective you may not have considered.

The studies show that it prevents about 70% of the cases of shingles. Ask someone who has had shingles 10 times what they would give to have had it only 3, and I bet you would be surprised. If you've never had shingles, there really isn't much reason to get the shot. But if you're like my cousin and get it about once a year (she's in her early 20s and will probably live with it the rest of her life), it might be invaluable.

Just sayin'.

Are you talking about receiving the chickenpox vaccine or the shingles vaccine ? My husband received the chickenpox vaccine and even though he has had shingles 4x he does not qualify for the shingles vaccine according to his doctor. I dont think he would get the shot anyway but I know we were told he couldn't. I am honestly interested if others are able to get the vaccine without being older.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband is 31 he hadn't had chickenpox as a child so as a young adult he got the chickenpox vaccination (before I met him I am not 100% sure how old he was) anyway when I was pregnant with our first child 2007 he was 27 and he got shingles and they could not figure out why he got it .. and he has had it 3x since then and the last time we went to a walk in clinic since we were out of town when they hit him again and the dr. there told us it couldn't be shingles because he got the vaccination and that prevents shingles too well they scraped a sample off and we got a call a week later that it was indeed shingles ... oh and he has had shingles 4x total first time I was pregnant , second time we had a 8week old baby , third time we were in the hospital with our baby and his sleep apnea and the fourth time we had a 2 year old and a 3 month old .. each time my husband was still involved with our family we were cautious and we prevented our children from getting chickenpox now that they are both older if hubby happens to get shingles again we aren't going to be so careful I want my kids to get chickenpox its a normal childhood thing and I think it is best if they get it naturally !! My best friend was pregnant when she found out she had been neither vaccinated or had the disease and if she had gotten it the outcome would have been ALOT worse than if she had just gotten it as a child.

And just something else I have wondered about is chickenpox and the number of people who make it to adulthood without receiving a vaccination and without ever having chickenpox I would think that chickenpox would be the one disease you were LIKELY to get ... I haven't researched this so I have no clue why but just something I was thinking about
    I'd like to see clinical studies on adults who have had shingles yet were vaccinated. I'm more than sure that people that have been vaccinated that don't get shingles will be in much much larger numbers than those that have. Again no medicine is perfect, but benefit outweighs results.
    It seems that you correlate what may happen in your life personally to your belief in vaccinations. IMO, that would be like saying crime is high because you were held up at gun point when in fact crime is actually down statistically. Doesn't mean that crime doesn't happen, it just means that doing some of the things we have done have reduced it. You could well say that spending more money on Police did nothing for you, but it has done lots for others. Just a perspective you may not have considered.

The studies show that it prevents about 70% of the cases of shingles. Ask someone who has had shingles 10 times what they would give to have had it only 3, and I bet you would be surprised. If you've never had shingles, there really isn't much reason to get the shot. But if you're like my cousin and get it about once a year (she's in her early 20s and will probably live with it the rest of her life), it might be invaluable.

Just sayin'.

Are you talking about receiving the chickenpox vaccine or the shingles vaccine ? My husband received the chickenpox vaccine and even though he has had shingles 4x he does not qualify for the shingles vaccine according to his doctor. I dont think he would get the shot anyway but I know we were told he couldn't. I am honestly interested if others are able to get the vaccine without being older.

The shingles vaccine - Unfortunately, the shingles vaccine hasn't been studied for efficacy in people under the age of 50. We also don't really know how long it lasts, beyond about 20 years. The shingles vaccine is the exact same formulation as the chix pox vaccine - only a lot more of it (about 13X the amount of active ingredient). As for the doc saying it couldn't be shingles, that was poor wording on his part and I'm sure his foot was in his mouth afterward. :)
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I appreciate your post.I agree with you entirely on everything you said even though I am a non-vaccinating parent. I am well aware of the diseases we vaccinate against as well as the complications that can arise from becoming infected with those diseases. My son's doctor has refreshed himself on the early signs/symptons of all the diseases as well.

Earlier last year they thought my older son did indeed have whooping cough and they started treating him although a test confirmed it was not whooping cough. My 18 month old had measles at 13months old. We went to the doctor 2x a week during the duration of the disease. We always came in a side door and was put straight into a room so that our child would never come into contact with anyone else. My 4 year old did not get measles even though we did nothing to prevent him from getting it.There was not another single case of measles brought into my sons doctor office even though a large number of his patients are not fully vaccinated nor naturally immune.

I know this wouldn't be the case with all diseases but I feel we all handled it responsibly. I do not want to expose anyone to a disease which is another reason my child will not go to public daycare or school. I understand that my son could expose others before he shows symptons.
    [/quote]

Thank you for your feedback. I have had this conversation with my sisters multiple times (my older sister spreads out my nephews' vaccines so they don't get more than two or three at a time but they are all up to date). I don't want to seem like I am judging others decisions to not vaccinate. If you truly don't believe in it, and are responsible like the poster above, fine. I really don't want to argue about it either - everyone thinks that they are right and I do love to debate, but people get pretty heated over this topic. :) As you can see...

I gave over 30 influenza vaccines yesterday (to adults) and I am proud of that. I don't want to get sick and I certainly don't want to spread something nasty to other people.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i had all my immunizations and turned out fine. i plan on vaccinating my children when i have them. of course, eating healthy can boost the immune system, but some people just naturally have weak immune systems as well. i am hoping to space out the vaccinations though - i know i didn't get the Hep B shot til i was 12 and it wasn't a problem.

i don't plan on them having things like the chicken pox vaccine, though. i had those when i was 5 with no ill side effects save for a few scars. same with things like flu shots and meningitis shots. i am more worried about my future children catching something life-threatening than anything.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So before any food processing came into existence, Native Americans, Mayans, and many place in Africa ate as absolutely clean as possible. Fruit, vegetables, meats as a side and not the main dish, the very definition of clean eating. And yet entire civilizations were completely wiped out by disases the had no immunity from.

What you eat might enhance you immune system and prevent a few common colds, but against something like pollo, or measles, or even chicken pocks, a super immune system might mean that 1 in 10 survive compared to the normal 1 in 15.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity.. what is the standard schedule of vax for infants in the US? Any idea? I'm gonna try to find mine from back in the day in Eastern Europe..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i had all my immunizations and turned out fine. i plan on vaccinating my children when i have them. of course, eating healthy can boost the immune system, but some people just naturally have weak immune systems as well. i am hoping to space out the vaccinations though - i know i didn't get the Hep B shot til i was 12 and it wasn't a problem.

i don't plan on them having things like the chicken pox vaccine, though. i had those when i was 5 with no ill side effects save for a few scars. same with things like flu shots and meningitis shots. i am more worried about my future children catching something life-threatening than anything.

The chicken pox vaccine is required before a child can enter daycare or public school. Unless your child gets chicken pox before having to have the vaccine, you will have to get it.

It was just becoming required when my daughter was starting school. Thankfully, she had chicken pox before that and so never had to have the shot.

I'm all about vaccinating, but that one gives me pause. First, I know many children who had the vaccine and every one of them got chicken pox as a result of the vaccine and several (now all these years later) have contracted chicken pox as older teens and adults, when the disease is much worse than as a small child.

I honestly think that's one vaccine that should only be given to adults who didn't get the disease as a small child, and not to small children. It only seems to delay it, not give actual immunity to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    May be time to revisit this since I've seen infomercials on how natural eating can "cure" diseases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition