Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Latest Trend is Fasting: What say you?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I find particularly odd the argument that natural selection designed us to go for long periods without eating, so that implies that we best thrive if we go for long periods without eating. Why would that be true? Natural selection designed us so that our broken bones can heal, too, but no one suggests healthy people should routinely break bones in order to make them stronger.
    Great point.

We could add to this that natural selection also evolved us to be able to regrow parts of our liver. That does not mean that it would be a particularly brilliant idea to cut everyone open every now and then to harvest half of their liver or so. What is also funny is that people are claiming that stress is bad for you. Yet, natural evolution has given us the tools we need to deal with stress. When following the same logic, we should be very happy about stress, because it improves our health.

There are numerous other examples, but it is clear that the natural selection argument is a very poor argument indeed.

Ann if your inclined to do some research on this topic I found this publication pretty informative.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/ajpa.24247

Cheers.
  • angelxbunny
    angelxbunny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any kind of restrictive diet like that is a big squick for me. No shame to those it works for, but it teeters a bit too close to dangerous habits for me personally.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    ricalespy wrote: »
    To me, food is kind of addictive. Once I take a bite, it takes a lot of effort not to over eat. For me, it is easier to follow a modified version alternate day fasting were I don't eat at all Mon, Wed and Friday. The other days I avoid overeating by counting calories although I allocate a comfortable amount (2300 to 2500). This routine allowed me to lose so far 30 lbs and most importantly, heal my fatty liver. I workout on the eating days and rest on the fasting days.

I found almost no references to alternate day fasting in this thread. I found that calorie counting fed my neurosis and was making me crazy AF. I eventually 'fell off the wagon,' and went back to my old ways. Recently at a routine physical making another complaint to my Dr, that 'I couldn't lose weight...' he offered me Ozempic. I was shocked. I still wonder and plan to ask him if he was just trying to shock me into 'doing something.' Or, if he really thought that was a good idea. Anyhow, I did need to do something. A friend suggested IF, and I replied that I could still overeat in a smaller window. She said, 'what about 5:2?. I did 5 minutes research on it, and decided I could modify it to suit my 4 on 4 of schedule. 6:2 or 5:3... whatever. Now, the internet indicates that the 'fasting days' are no cal or low cal. My friend said 600 calories was good for 'fast' days. I fully realize that 600 calories is NOT fasting. I call them low cal days. One thing that MFP has taught me is CICO. So clearly, overeating to the right extent on 'regular eating' days, will cancel out low cal days. That said, I amped up to basically 1:1 pretty quickly, alternating low cal days with regular eating days. I stick to around 600-800 calories on LC days, and eat more or less normally on RE days. My urge to binge seems to be reduced, and I am on track to be down 20 lbs over 4 months.

I understand that this is not for just about anyone here. But, it's working for me. When I hit the 20 lb mark, I plan to go to 5:3 from my current 4:4. Another 10 lbs lost, I expect to go to 6:2. I feel like once I am at my 'goal weight, I can maintain by doing 7:1 until I retire, then, 6:1 when weeks become 7 days for me.

It's certainly not magic by any means... it is just my way of reducing calorie intake, and it's currently working. I am also extremely flexible with it. I call it 'Arbitrary Fasting,' because I call audibles all the time, and if I'm at someone's house for dinner on what should be a LC day, well... I eat. If I am a bit hungry on a LC day, I don't starve myself, I eat a little snack.

But for some reason, I am so far, losing pretty consistently, and I can do the 'one day at a time' LC thing without feeling seriously deprived.

I realize this makes little sense to anyone who is comfortable simply reducing their calorie intake daily to create a deficit. But, I'm not counting much at all.

There is no magic. But this is the closest it's gotten to magic for me.
  • xanderkross9545
    xanderkross9545 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I am in year 3 of my fitness journey and I have lost over 80 kg, and most people would call me fit now (though my own neurosis will not allow me to think the same haha).

I have done IF in the past, like one day a week, or a 4-7 day fast.

I have now been doing Alternate Day Fasting for about 2 weeks now.

My question/issue is for anyone who is doing or has done ADF. I don’t really have any problems on my fasting days. I mean I get hungry, but I have not had any trouble not eating for those (usually) 30+ hours. My issue is on my eating days I feel like I am eating too much. I am probably eating 3,000-3,500 calories on those days. And I find myself eating even if I am not hungry. So it seems like a mental thing where I feel like on my eating days I have to consume as much food as possible.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any advice?

Thanks.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,061 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I am in year 3 of my fitness journey and I have lost over 80 kg, and most people would call me fit now (though my own neurosis will not allow me to think the same haha).

My question/issue is for anyone who is doing or has done ADF. I don’t really have any problems on my fasting days. I mean I get hungry, but I have not had any trouble not eating for those (usually) 30+ hours. My issue is on my eating days I feel like I am eating too much. I am probably eating 3,000-3,500 calories on those days. And I find myself eating even if I am not hungry. So it seems like a mental thing where I feel like on my eating days I have to consume as much food as possible.

Thanks.
    Have you figured out your TDEE? Do you have a set calorie goal? I know some people have said they like to shoot for a weekly goal instead of daily, especially when they’re doing different forms of fasting. Is it possible maybe you’re not consistently eating as high as you think on your eat days? Are you working out really hard? Is it possible that you need to go back to more of an IF to sustain you every day instead of skipping?

I’m not extremely versed in it. Just some things I’ve heard of read. I used to do ADA a few years ago. I felt great until I started working out harder. It didn’t feel good anymore so I stopped and went back to IF. I would do a longer fast once every week or two back then. I haven’t done those in a long time either now. Good luck!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I wish people would call me fit. :|

If you saw my post a couple above yours, https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/47402436/#Comment_47402436 you'll see my story. I have been doing, basically ADF (low calories on fast days, not no calories) for several months. I am a pretty neurotic eater and tend to binge, especially on 'trigger' foods. And there are a lot of them for me. Most foods, in fact.

I have found that IF has reduced my cravings quite a bit, and I think more about what, and how much I am eating on 'regular eating' (RE) days. That said, I am quite aware that there could be a tendency to overeat on RE days. So, I am mindful of that. I am also mindful to eat enough on RE days, and not scrimp, because they are not meant to be diet days. But, I don't count calories, and I must be eating less calories in vs calories out over time, because I am losing weight.

If you are looking to lose weight, or maintain, are you doing that?

I don't know what your numbers are, or if you keep accurate track of them. But, for reference, I 'figure...' and that's all it is, some numbers I damn near pulled out of my butt... I might eat 600-800 calories on LC days, and something between say, 2000 and 2500 on RE days. So, if I eat, 800 half the time, and 2500 half the time.. in 8 days, I eat 13,200 in a week. That averages to 1650 a day. If I need 2,000 to sustain my current weight, I'm in the red 2800 every 8 days. Now, since I have no evidence of any of this being accurate, I just go by the scale. I'm down around 20 lbs in about 16 weeks, so my numbers are probably all pretty inaccurate, in my favor.

My question to you would be... if you're eating every second day, and consuming 3500 calories every 2 days, is this a deficit? I don't have any decent advice for curbing your eating on RE days... except to keep an eye on intake those days, and simply be mindful.

As @MelG7777 says, you might consider going back to a more conventional IF, if it works for you.

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Re: fasting. I wouldn’t deem it a “trend” - It’s been around for centuries used during religious rights. I.e Ramadan and Buddhism and used for decades in endocrinology for supplemental treatment of chronic diseases.

When used for therapeutic purposes, it’s been shown to improve insulin sensitivity. For those of us who have been flagged for insulin resistance .. it’s something to explore.

An NIH meta analysis: lhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8970877/
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,954 Member
    Options
    I hate eating early in the day, often don't eat late, so normal eating for me is sometimes 20:4. I lose weight easier if I eat some protein for breakfast and later at night, so more like 12:12.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    MFP's take from a Registered Dietitian. They have some great videos.

https://youtu.be/TBr0gEhVoiU?t=6

• neanderthin
    Options

Wasn't expecting that. She didn't miss a beat, good job MFP. Cheers
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options

Wasn't expecting that. She didn't miss a beat, good job MFP. Cheers

I've watched all of the vids. Good info.

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to fast because two of my doctors want me to. I don’t think the main reason is to lose weight. My cardiologist stresses it for other health reasons. I can easily go without eating for about 12-14 hours. The doctors want me to go 16 hours between meals. I’m working on it.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to fast because two of my doctors want me to. I don’t think the main reason is to lose weight. My cardiologist stresses it for other health reasons. I can easily go without eating for about 12-14 hours. The doctors want me to go 16 hours between meals. I’m working on it.

If your last meal is at 8pm are you able to wait until noon the next day for your first meal? It does take practice but it gets easier. That’s exactly where I started too, I think it’s really smart to ease into it unless a doctor recommends otherwise. Best of luck on your journey!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Yes, if my last meal at night is at 8 P.m., then I can wait to eat until noon the next day. I’m naturally not very hungry in the morning, and don’t want to eat anyway. The harder part is for me to stop eating at 8 at night, but I’m getting better at it. I need to consciously think about what I’m doing.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    My cardiologist told me that a 14 hour fast doesn’t really do much for my body and health benefits, but a 16 fast seems to be the magic number where all the good things happen.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Ok. Today I saw my GP. She had a long talk with me about my health and kind of blew me away. She’s of the opposite opinion to my cardiologist. She says the latest study on intermittent fasting shows that it’s not really beneficial to people. She said this study just came out. She thinks I should eat something small in the morning as I have dizziness a lot. Anyway, I value her opinion. I won’t be trying to fast for 16 hours anymore.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    What a merry-go-round!
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Ok. Today I saw my GP. She had a long talk with me about my health and kind of blew me away. She’s of the opposite opinion to my cardiologist. She says the latest study on intermittent fasting shows that it’s not really beneficial to people. She said this study just came out. She thinks I should eat something small in the morning as I have dizziness a lot. Anyway, I value her opinion. I won’t be trying to fast for 16 hours anymore.

What we have here is a perfect example of confirmation bias.

You can eat in the morning and still fast for 16 hours, just thought I'd mention that. The study linked in this tread a few posts up by the National Institute of Health Effect on Intermittent Fasting Diet on Glucose and Lipid Metabolism and Insulin Resistance in Patients with Impaired Glucose and Lipid Metabolism: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis would disagree with your GP. A meta analysis is taking the totality of the many studies available. Best course of action is, do your own research and that way your not a victim of someone's person opinion. Cheers.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    I think you’re a bit presumptuous to say it’s confirmation bias. I’m only giving you the short story. You sound very sure of yourself. I like to keep an open mind.
    Cheers
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist told me that a 14 hour fast doesn’t really do much for my body and health benefits, but a 16 fast seems to be the magic number where all the good things happen.

what good magic things would 2 hours difference make? What rationale would there be for this?

Your cardioligist seems to be suggesting maverick things that dont have any basis in standard cardiac recomendations