What has been the most challenging aspect of your weight loss journey so far?

Options
"For me, the most challenging aspect of my weight loss journey so far has been overcoming my own negative self-talk and insecurities. I've struggled with my weight for years, and in that time, I've developed a lot of negative self-talk and limiting beliefs about what I'm capable of achieving. At times, it feels like I'm my own worst enemy.

But I've learned that changing my mindset is just as important as changing my diet and exercise habits. I have to be kind and patient with myself, even when I slip up or make mistakes. It's not always easy, but I try to focus on progress rather than perfection. With each small step forward, I remind myself that I am capable of achieving my goals, no matter how difficult they may seem.

As I continue on this journey, I know that there will be ups and downs. But I also know that I have the strength and resilience to keep going, one day at a time."

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    As diet and exercise go, I didn't really have a ton of hurdles. I really made this whole thing more about overall health and well-being. I made strides daily to just be more healthful and live a more healthful life. I took time to learn about proper and good nutrition and to implement changes to my diet incrementally rather than trying to do a 180 overnight and flip a switch. For exercise, I implemented regular exercise in a capacity that was realistically doable and sustainable rather than diving into the deep end of all of the exercise, all of the time and burning out or getting injured. Ultimately, living a more healthful life and doing the things that healthy and fit people do and basically doing the right thing led to losing weight. I tend to look at my weight loss as more of a side effect of doing the right thing consistently over time.

Beyond that, the power of positivity or the power of positive thinking is dynamic and powerful. If all of your self talk is negative and if all of your self talk is about how hard it is and how impossible it is, then it's going to be negative, hard, and impossible. The power of positivity doesn't mean you don't acknowledge difficulties or negative feelings, it means you don't dwell on them and you always find some positive, even if it's one thing.

I'm in alcohol recovery and positivity is huge. In the early days, it was hugely important for me to journal and in that journaling to allow for negative feelings but always find positive aspects. Before I journaled I would usually bullet point them. In the beginning, the negative bullet points were quite a laundry list...horrible sleep, exhaustion and fatigue, confusion, restlessness, etc, etc, etc...but I always found at least one positive...ie, "I woke up this morning and instead of my resting HR being around 100 it was in the 70s" or "I'm tired due to a lack of sleep, but I'm not hungover", etc, etc.

As time went along, the negative points dwindled and the positive points became more numerous until the table flipped and the positives outweighed anything negative. This is all a process and doesn't happen overnight. I've rarely seen anyone just flip a switch and do a complete 180 in how they live their lives. It's process, and it's work.
  • capgordon5385
    capgordon5385 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter always the best way . I hear what ur saying with the negative self talk been there my self but Ur defo right about small steps works cause many small step build to huge strides go get it we all here to push u 💪
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I hit my goal about two months ago.

The hardest part of my journey was just getting going. Once I got past those first 3 weeks I was pretty much fine. I started at 388 pounds with no energy, no stamina and just feeling like crap. I just kept at it.

And now I weigh 221 pounds.