What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Woke up on time to hit the gym before work, drove to the gym, parking lot is empty. Little sign on the door says they will not open at 5 as normal, but rather will open at 8 as a safety measure due to winter weather. Never mind there's not a lick of snow on the ground, forecast had called for some, so fine. But would it have killed them to send out a message to members, so we didn't show up only to discover we couldn't go in? Better yet, since the decision was obviously made the night before, how about sending out the message the night before, so people like me don't wake up absurdly early and take caffeine and thus not only can't get a workout in, but now can't go back to sleep? In this digital age, it should only take a couple clicks to send a mass text, so no excuse. Not happy...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AM
    Yoga (15min)

PM
    KB swings - 10x10r (100)
    32kg
    Turkish Getups - 10x1(5L5R)
    24kg
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread though not to MFP in general.

AM: 10 min walking the dog
    PM: 30 min jog on the treadmill + 15 min walk, also treadmill because of rain

I've got a sprint tri in 3.5 weeks (my 3rd ever) and I don't feel ready. I'm in Week 7 of a 10 week training plan. I wanted to see a big improvement over last year's triathlon, and I *am* slightly faster on my bike than I was (still not a speed demon by ANY means), but my running isn't as good. The strap on my old Garmin Forerunner 210 watch finally gave out, so that needs to be replaced also.

Since I started training this time around I've been really thirsty--realizing after several weeks that water isn't enough, so now I drink Gatorade Zero on my longer rides. I'm open to suggestions about better ways to replace electrolytes. Here in NW Arkansas, the store choices are basically Walmart and Walmart, though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Broken record report, as usual this Winter:

Yesterday, Tuesday: 63 minutes stationary bike, 92W average, 15.7 pseudo-miles, mostly Z2 just a dab of Z3.

Today, Wednesday: 3 x (1500m, 2' row out/in or CD), 2:26.9 average pace at 20spm, about half Z3 (15'), 4' Z4, rest below. Then 63' stationary bike again, 93W average, 15.8 fake miles, mostly Z2 plus a smidge of Z3.

Also on Tuesday, met the woman I think/hope will be my new primary care doc. Got a chance to talk with her about exercise activity in context of my early-stage COPD. (If you look up exercise and COPD on the web, pretty much all there is "If possible, you should start a mild walking program . . .". I don't think they're talking to me, frankly. :D ) She encouraged me to keep doing fairly intense exercise to tolerance, up to and including Z4. As y'all know, I rarely do Z5/max effort because I don't find it very fun, and she was a little concerned about it from a heart standpoint (not sure if this was the COPD or the residual CV system stuff from my long term obesity/high cholesterol), but didn't quite tell me not to do any. 🤷‍♀️
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread though not to MFP in general.

AM: 10 min walking the dog
    PM: 30 min jog on the treadmill + 15 min walk, also treadmill because of rain

I've got a sprint tri in 3.5 weeks (my 3rd ever) and I don't feel ready. I'm in Week 7 of a 10 week training plan. I wanted to see a big improvement over last year's triathlon, and I *am* slightly faster on my bike than I was (still not a speed demon by ANY means), but my running isn't as good. The strap on my old Garmin Forerunner 210 watch finally gave out, so that needs to be replaced also.

Since I started training this time around I've been really thirsty--realizing after several weeks that water isn't enough, so now I drink Gatorade Zero on my longer rides. I'm open to suggestions about better ways to replace electrolytes. Here in NW Arkansas, the store choices are basically Walmart and Walmart, though.

Welcome to the thread!

I've done multisport races at all of the standard distances. When prepping for a race, following a training plan is definitely the way to build endurance. As far as seeing improvements, there are many variables. During my winter base building phase, I focus on training my limiters. For me, that means more pool time compared to the other disciplines. At three weeks out from your race day, (assuming week 10 ends on race day?) the best advice I could offer is to not miss any workouts. Then on race day, trust your training.

Both of the triathlon coaches I worked with made the same recommendation around hydration and electrolytes. For a male athlete at a 65 degree temperature, you need 20-36 oz/hour on the bike. That's one bottle or more per hour. As temps increase, your hydration needs will increase as well.

Regarding electrolytes: There are dozens of options out there, everything from powders to tablets and liquids such as Gatorade. Since you are doing a relatively short race, you don't need to worry about a complicated multi hour strategy for bike fueling to set up a long run. So just keep it simple.
    For a workout or race lasting more than one hour, athletes need 300-500mg of sodium from a drink mix (or premixed liquid like gatorade). You should be able to get that easily from a bottle of drink. The purpose is that sodium is very important to help with fluid retention, absorption of glucose (to power your muscles) and nerve functioning.

The way to dial in your specific "best mix" of nutrition, hydration and electrolytes is to try out different approaches during your long rides to find what works best for you.

Finally, if you want an idea of product alternatives, the easiest way is to check out a few online retail sources. Two that I visit are "The Feed" and "Precision Hydration". At The Feed, you'll find a bunch of powdered mixes , such as Skratch, Infinit, Etc. The Precision Hydration product is very effective for those wanting a simple sodium solution that doesn't provide calories.

Sorry for the rambling response, lol. Best of luck in your race!

• DiscusTank5
    Options

For a workout or race lasting more than one hour, athletes need 300-500mg of sodium from a drink mix (or premixed liquid like gatorade). You should be able to get that easily from a bottle of drink. The purpose is that sodium is very important to help with fluid retention, absorption of glucose (to power your muscles) and nerve functioning.

The way to dial in your specific "best mix" of nutrition, hydration and electrolytes is to try out different approaches during your long rides to find what works best for you.

Finally, if you want an idea of product alternatives, the easiest way is to check out a few online retail sources. Two that I visit are "The Feed" and "Precision Hydration". At The Feed, you'll find a bunch of powdered mixes , such as Skratch, Infinit, Etc. The Precision Hydration product is very effective for those wanting a simple sodium solution that doesn't provide calories.
    [/quote]

Thanks djproulx for the helpful advice and website recommendation.

What's weird for me this time around is that I've always trained with just water (including my half-marathon phrase 10 years ago)--oh, and GU Energy gels for rides or runs over 60 min. That's just not cutting it now. I read an article saying electrolyte issues are likely to be more of a problem for pre-menopausal women and at age 47, that's me. Not sure if that's a standard opinion in the field or not.

Last night I went to Walmart and bought 4 different types of energy drinks (Shine Water, Body Armour, etc). I'll take a look at The Feed and see what else might help me refuel. I've been extra stressed with work the last couple of weeks, and as my dermatologist said, "stress affects everything." Once the semester ends, that will help a lot.

Thanks again for your input--great to hear from an experienced triathlete.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Incline bench press 4x12
    Incline DB fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Cable pulldown 3x10
    Lateral DB Raise 4x12
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extend 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy weights went well, though I can't remember the last time I did sets of 12 reps (other than squats). It's amazing how much grind those last two reps feel compared to the first 10.

Talked to the young lady at the reception desk about the lack of notice about delayed gym opening the other day, and whether we could get the gym to do something about it. She happily told me the gym DID in fact spread the word about the delay at 6pm the night before, plenty of time ahead. Great, I must not be part of the distribution network, do I need to add my name to a list somewhere? Nope, she said, just follow us on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and listed off several other platforms. Her jaw dropped to the floor when I told her I didn't have an account on ANY social network site. "Not one?" Thought about it a moment, remembered I had an old Facebook account I hadn't accessed in ten years. When a small muscle in the corner of her eye started twitching, I thanked her and quickly walked away.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Sleep when you're dead, @mtaratoot!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    What's weird for me this time around is that I've always trained with just water (including my half-marathon phrase 10 years ago)--oh, and GU Energy gels for rides or runs over 60 min. That's just not cutting it now. I read an article saying electrolyte issues are likely to be more of a problem for pre-menopausal women and at age 47, that's me. Not sure if that's a standard opinion in the field or not.
    Regarding first bolded comment: Running a complete half marathon is a longish effort (1:30-2:30 typically, depending on your pace), so I assume that you consumed a gel or two in addition to water.

In triathlon, your fueling needs are going to be elevated, since you start the bike leg after completing a swim(say 15-25 minutes in a sprint distance) where you've consumed no fuel. So if your bike split is 35-60 minutes, you'll have spent 50-85minutes exerting yourself before starting the 5k run. The fueling strategy is geared towards providing enough calories, electrolytes and fluid to carry you through the run, since its harder to ingest and process fuel while running.

Regarding second bolded comment: I don't hear that distinction made based on women's menopausal state. (Maybe since I'm a guy). What is discussed a lot, is the electrolyte needs vary by individual, since some athletes are very heavy sweaters. (google "sweat tests" to learn more.) The other variable is temperature and humidity. The hotter it is, the more you'll need.

Hope this helps.

• Djproulx
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Not today, but since early April, 23 days rowing a raft 280 miles down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon.

Now some rest is warranted, but my grass is over a foot tall, and I have lots of gear to clean. Maybe I'll rest next week.

WOW. I'm tired just reading this. Nice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Another day, another stationary bike ride. Nice weather, but schedule didn't work for a trail ride.

After lunch with a friend, we went for a casual walk, mostly gawking at birds and things.

Then stationary bike, 89W average, almost entirely Z2.

Probably it for the day.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Workout this morning: 30 min. swimming laps at the pool
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Leg day, and it was rough!

SSB bar squats - 2x8, RPE 6
    Bench - 3x5, 65% max
    Rogers Pin Squat - 1 at RPE 8.5, 2x5 at RPE 6.5
    Gluteator - 3x10 at 140 lbs
    Leg Press - 3X10 at 270 lbs
    Calf Raises - 3x10

https://youtube.com/shorts/oL0oIm_ZcxQ?feature=share
  • nossmf
    Options
    Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 4x10
    Leg Extensions 3x10
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Calf Raises 4x12

My second leg workout of the week, this one the hypertrophy one with lighter weights and higher reps. I'm used to a single leg workout each week, so this one was surprisingly harder than anticipated. But because I work from home on Friday's without the 90 minute commute, I was able to soak in the hot tub after, which at my age goes a LONG way towards recovery, believe you me!

My weight actually dropped this week after three weeks of rapid increase, so I'm hopeful that's a sign my body has finished adjusting to the creatine and I can finally start gauging actual muscle increase based on weights and diet going forward, rather than being subject to huge water-weight fluctuations.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @Ann -- thanks for the advice on the unstrapped!

Been working out this week, just nothing hard. Lower back still a bit sore, but 90% better. Just not taking any chances with it. I've done five steady state (easy) cardio workouts this week and two light lifting sessions -- no weights overhead. For legs, I'm just doing air squats and bridges (all bodyweight). I am doing more for chest and shoulders, but again, no overhead.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Climbing. 2 hours. This was very good, I got loads of stuff. My scary balance-y slab stuff was good; my dynos and thuggy overhangs were also good.

It was odd. I slept badly and had to drag myself to the gym. I was glad I did.

Some minor trivia was that the gym played Nirvana, who I saw live supporting Tad in 1989.

• Maria_Albina
    Maria_Albina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Treadmill at a 11% incline for 30 mins
    Back and biceps

Weight: 152
    Goal weight: trying to put on muscle so Idc what the scale says as long as I look hot 😂