What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Keep sweating away on that treadmill, you're guaranteed to look hot! lol Please tell me you were walking at that incline level...I'd feel rather inadequate if you were running also...
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Rest day, but you know how it is. I still had to walk the dog for 10 minutes; also some walking around at my town's annual Dogwood Festival. (Does walking while munching kettle corn still count?)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Skipped workouts Friday. Was a little skeptical today because I was dragging, but got on with it.

Did the 3 x (1500m, 2' row/out-in or CD) at paces of 2:26.1, 2:23.9, 2:21.9, all at 20spm. Total of 5,455m including the row out-in and CD. About half Z3, a third Z4, remainder below. Most of the last 1500m piece was Z4, felt fine. HR average 137, peak 155 (so a couple beats above 220-age ;) ).

Then hopped on the bike for 60'+3' CD, thinking it would be pretty slow, but it turned out around normal (go figure), 94W average, about a third Z3, two thirds Z2, HR average an easy 125, peak 138.

After a couple of lackadaisical weeks recently when I was only around twice the Garmin intensity minutes default goal of 150/week, I was back up this week at 770 intensity minutes, a little above typical even. 🤷‍♀️
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Brick workout today (so-named because one's legs feel like bricks by the run):

45 min. bike ride, then a 30 min. run immediately after. Also the obligatory walking of my dog.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Saturday
    Lifting.
    Hangboarding, which was good. I got 6 second repeaters on my smallest ledge.
    OHP, 3 sets of 5, 35 kgs.
    DL, 75 kgs. 3 sets of 10.

I also got about 15 miles' walk done

Sunday
    Whilst not exercise, I played in a Go tournament. I prefer caving, diving and climbing these days, so I am very out of practice. Nevertheless, I wion with 4 wins out of 4. An interesting feature was that I played lightning, which meant I went for long walks between rounds. I was on 20,000 steps by the start of the final round.

I went climbing afterwards. I am old and unfit, so I only lasted 2 hours. It was good. I got lots of v4.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I am old and unfit, . . . .

🤣🤣🤣
    I'm sorry, @drmwc, but people who are "unfit" do not do the things you routinely do. Not. Even. Close.

And that's at any age.

And old? Well, keep in mind that quite a few of us here have 10, 15, maybe even 20 years on you. Kids say the darndest things! 😉 (<== last sentence is a cultural reference that maybe only USA-ians near my age may recognize).

You do some great stuff fitness-wise. IMO, you should be pleased with yourself.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @drmwc - I second Ann's comment above. No way you pass for unfit......or old, lol.

Rainy day, so no bike ride. Went out for an hour trail run instead. Slow, easy paced, but I got it done.

PT is helping with my left shoulder pain. She determined that beyond the calcium deposit identified via Xray, my scapula was pushed down, causing most of my discomfort. The exercises are helping. May skip the weights on Tuesday, but will get back in the pool. Six weeks until race day, so no time for excuses :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Monday is Upper-Power day in the weight room, and I've been lifting long enough that recovery is over and I can start increasing weights for actual training going forward. Oh, I missed this! Even adding some ab work at the end couldn't pull the grin from my face.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Today was a swim workout. Left shoulder was fine during an easy paced effort (2:10/100yds). 1900 yds total, done as 600 warmup (2swim/2kick/2pull) then 12 x 100's on 15 sec recovery. 100 cool down.

Hope to get out for a ride later if the weather holds.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Thanks Anne and Djproulx. I'm the second oldest regular at my normal climbing gym; the oldest guy is only 1 year older than me (at 52). We're both convinced we're better than the other, so we tend to nearly kill ourselves when we're both in.

Today, I lifted weights. It was a bit of a struggle:

Jump rope to warm up.
    OHP 3 sets of 4, 35 kgs
    Finger curls 3 sets of 10, 60 kgs. (I really like finger curls, I think they are good antagonist training for crimping in climbing.)
    Front squat 3 sets of 5, 50 kgs

I then did a hike; it was a rather magnificent Spring day. Fitbit reckon it was just over 25 km, so just under 16 miles. It was moderately hilly, but overall pretty gentle.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Today was a swim workout. Left shoulder was fine during an easy paced effort (2:10/100yds). 1900 yds total, done as 600 warmup (2swim/2kick/2pull) then 12 x 100's on 15 sec recovery. 100 cool down.

Swim workout today here, too. My 12 year old (on swim team) and I shared a lane and were both quite annoyed when middle school kids playing in the next lane over kept getting into our lane. The evening swim block is supposed to be for lap swimming only, but the life guard was too busy talking to her friend to do anything helpful. I may have said, "Hey, we're trying to swim here!" in a not-so-nice voice at one point. I'm pretty nonconfrontational, so that was big for me. Anyway, 45 minutes of swimming (including a couple minutes here and there of treading water). Guess that's another motivator for getting up to swim at 6 am.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Physical therapy appointment, more challenging mentally this time than physically (doing some things to try to feel/recruit muscles I usually under-recruit, which is very think-y).

Then the usual stationary bike, 60 minutes at 105W average, 3 minute cool down. Overall, 16.4 pseudo miles, 75% Z3, 3' Z4, remainder below. Heart rate average 132bpm (73% max), peak 149 (83%).
  • nossmf
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Finger curls 3 sets of 10, 60 kgs. (I really like finger curls, I think they are good antagonist training for crimping in climbing.)

I'm picturing this as you kneeling next to a bench with your forearms lying across it, a weighted bar in your hands, wrists facing up. You then allow the weight to bend your wrists back, rolling along your fingers until just about to drop to the floor, before you reverse the motion and curl your fingers back around the bar. That's one rep.

If I'm imagining this right, that's some serious weight to be using, but then I bet you have a disproportionately strong grip than someone your size based on how much climbing you do.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today was power leg day in the weight room, cranking up the weights on the deadlift. Was a trifle worried to start, since I'm pretty sure it was a deadlifting session which resulted in my injured elbow tendon those months back, but I felt strong and smooth. Big hurdle passed, IMHO. In fact, my right grip (the injured/rehabbed arm) felt stronger than my left.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Today was power leg day in the weight room, cranking up the weights on the deadlift. Was a trifle worried to start, since I'm pretty sure it was a deadlifting session which resulted in my injured elbow tendon those months back, but I felt strong and smooth. Big hurdle passed, IMHO. In fact, my right grip (the injured/rehabbed arm) felt stronger than my left.

@nossmf Congrats, there's no better feeling than resuming full scale work after a long rehab and realizing that you are fully healed. Being injured is the worst. I've been there a few times and it seems like recovery takes forever when you're sidelined. Glad you're 100%.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Productive day, starting with a personal trainer workout this morning. I didn't do any of the pressing movements, in order to protect my tender shoulder, but everything else was ok. I also had a therapy session at noon that really helped loosen the scapula and give more vertical range of motion to my left arm.

Tonight, I increased my run/walk to a 9:1 ratio, going for 40 minutes. I'm still very slow, armound 11:30/mile counting the walk segments, but my HR remained fairly low and my endurance is starting to improve. All in all, I'm starting to feel like I've got a decent shot at building enough fitness to complete the races without a major meltdown on the run course.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    25 min run + 15 min walk (besides walking my dog, I broke up the run with a couple of minutes of walking here and there because of adductor muscle pain in my left leg).

The pain eventually subsided. I hope this isn't from overtraining. It seems to worsen when I'm stressed. As soon as I finished the run, hubs and I had to take our 15 year old son in for a doctor's visit (overdue paperwork involving his autism).
  • nossmf
    Options
    @DiscusTank5, hang in there with your son. My second son was diagnosed with Asperger's on the autism scale, caught it when he was age 2 and got lots of therapy. This past year he graduated from high school in the top 10% of his class, and in a few weeks will graduate from US Army boot camp. Here's hoping your son's future is also bright.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Elliptical - one hour hills, 5.75 miles

Quite pleased with how today's workout worked out. Historically, I tend to commit to one type of workout as preferred, to the exclusion of all others which become annoyances keeping me from what I truly want to do. True when I was in school running all the time and hating when coach had us lift; true when I studied aikido and did nothing else; true when I lifted 5-6 times per week and avoided cardio like the plague. Even true when my elbow injury forced me to do cardio only for several months and I strongly favored the elliptical over the treadmill. So when I was cleared to return to lifting, and my goal of gaining muscle reduced my cardio to a single session per week, I feared one of two things would happen:

1. I would once again despise cardio time as the devil keeping me from doing what I love (lifting), or...
    2. Going from 5 days cardio per week to just one would cause my performance to suffer

Fortunately, neither scenario seemed the case this morning. I woke up looking forward to hitting the elliptical, enjoyed myself during, and my results were almost identical to the last session done before I resumed lifting. Now I'm looking forward to lifting tomorrow, so I haven't psychologically switched allegiances or anything. I've instead expanded my scope to be more inclusive.

Only took 45 years to do, but hey, guess you can teach old dogs new tricks.