Replies

• tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    May 1- AF
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @GaryM_25 You had a great April! What you did on that business trip was nothing short of amazing. When you say start from the beginning do you mean the beginning of the podcast or the beginning of all you’ve been working on? Sending LA internet stranger hugs if you need them!

—————————————————————-

I looked at @Lilylady3k s profile (it’s private) and it said she hasn’t logged on in about 18 days. I hope she is okay! Maybe she needed a break.
  • 2timesacharmmfp
    2timesacharmmfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @Womona you speak the truth! Not a golfer myself, but starting in May with all the events and then boating season and summer in general tend to be more lazy days with a beverage in hand. I'm trying to really focus on developing those good habits NOW to make it easier to grab an NA beer or sparkling water when I would normally have something with alcohol.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @joans1976 - I was referring to starting from the beginning of the podcast, to re-listen. It's very informational. There's much I can learn.

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options

I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Monday May 01 - AF - I wanted drinks, it seems that I pretty much always do. Willpower won out, so that is a good thing. I don't want to repeat last month's behaviour where I toploaded the month with daily drinking and wasn't really able to try hard enough not to, and then I found myself trying to play catch up nearing the end of the month to get those AF days in. A short-lived 2nd job kept me AF for 4 days. When I don't have anything pressing the next day, that is when I struggle to not have drinks. Suc will be the case this week, I will endeavour to dig deep and not give in to the craving.

Rolling total - 1AF day out of 1 day.
  • GaryM_25
    edited May 2023
    Options
    OK... On the Dr Huberman podcast, I think the first important thing I was reminded of was the complexity of the human body and its organs, tissues, and cells and the vast array of chemical reactions that alcohol has across the body.

There's the brain, there's gut health, there are key organs such as the liver and kidney, and more.

How alcohol interacts with each is complex. Saying alcohol (or anything!) is good or bad for "health" glosses over many important details. For alcohol this significance is probably greater because alcohol is both fat soluble and water soluble and has many, many different reactions across the body.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 507 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Had a special time with my younger sister over past weekend. She is going through a divorce and moving out of state end of June. The last I saw her was at our home at Thanksgiving so we had a lot to catch up on. We did have what seemed like a lot of white wine over several hours each day and I definitely felt the “more than my daily limit” in my body and head. What was interesting is I consciously chose to have more and was ok with it knowing I met my April goals and this was a unique situation where I won’t see her again until next year. However, before choosing LA this scenario was all too routine so that is another thing I realized. I truly do not have the desire to drink that much anymore. AF now until next weekend.

I listened to the “supplements” segment of the podcast yesterday only because my eye was drawn to it, and it supports why I have been using B12 and Folate for years. I also take several supplements that provide extra antioxidants and the reduction of free radicals to support my body (organs, tissues and muscles) as well. I will review at the beginning @GaryM_25 and comment in the next few days.

A - 0
    AF - 1
    May goal - 22-23 AF days
    Limit to 2 glasses
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    GaryM_25 wrote: »
    @joans1976 - I was referring to starting from the beginning of the podcast, to re-listen. It's very informational. There's much I can learn.

I’m about 35 minutes in, I definitely want to listen to it again. It’s really quite eye opening! Egads. And yet, boy, would I love a glass of wine right now, despite the bodily and neurological changes that happen when you drink “moderately”, like I do! Can’t wait to finish it!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Well today was an 'explore' day around my sisters area of OH. We went looking at furniture that we may/may not want to purchase. Since DH spent his entire adult life refinishing fine furniture and piano's ...oh boy talk about picky. If I like something he does not, what he likes I do not. So let the games begin LOL.

We did go out for a late lunch, back story we stopped at this bar & grill last week and I left my sweater there. Well it is cold and I was hoping they still had it. So on our way home from our shopping adventure we stopped, I asked, nope it is gone and I then had lunch with 2 beers. It was worth it.

Now we will be heading back to AR for two graduations next week so we thought we would take an extra day to drive down and explore a bit of TN....why not?

I too will be downloading the podcast? that GaryM posted. I want to listen to it when I finally purchase a treadmill for our new place.

Those of you with treadmills. Any thoughts/ideas of brands and models for a fast walker/light runner? I do want to increase my running once I get going again. I don't want one that the belt hesitates every time you put your foot down.....but I can't afford a commercial one. Thinking in the range of i$750-$1500.
  • GaryM_25
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @lmlmrn and @globalhiker - In January, I bought a walking treadmill from Amazon.

I simply keep it pushed to the side underneath my work-from-home desk. At the beginning of the day, I pick the best hour or bit more to walk, depending upon meeting schedule. I'll often plan to do conference calls while walking.

To use, I simply put workout gear on and raise the desk to a standing height then center the treadmill underneath. I can't really do anything involving typing on the keyboard, but can participate in conference calls and read just fine too.

Redliro Walking Pad, Wood Under Desk Treadmill

I used to have a nice Precor gym-style treadmill that I put a few thousand miles on. I gave it to my son-in-law. With the Y being very close, I'm very happy with a simple "walking pad" treadmill like this that I can use with convenience to burn some calories above and beyond time at the gym.

Yesterday, for instance, I walked 40 minutes / 2 miles on the treadmill during work, did a 1.5-mile spring walk-through of the neighborhood with the HOA property manager and landscaper, took the dogs to the park and back for another mile, and then ran intervals on the treadmill at the Y for another 2 miles.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I remained AF last night! The two NA mocktails I made did the trick. So far 50% of my days in May are AF! Haha! I’ll take the win.

@globalhiker feel better during this allergy season!

@lmlmrn sorry, never owned a treadmill and I don’t even use it at the gym! Good luck on your search.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options
    Checking in- 1 AF 1 A so far this month, but that "A" was birthday drinks :smile: planning to remain AF until Friday to start the month with 1 A, 3 AF.

Happy birthday!!!!