LESS Alcohol ~ MAY 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »

So put on your best hat, saddle up and grab a beverage of your choice for the most exciting 2 minutes of the day.

@Missmay...I just said that to my husband...all of this hype for 2 minutes! But I love horse racing. I use to go to Arlington Park ALL the time...until they closed....now I have no outlet...
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Did more planting of my garden vegetables yesterday while the weather was cooler. Have only a couple of squash and pumpkin plants to go. Need to prep more space for these to spread out.

Had my red wine last night with my movie-A Man called Otto on Netflix. We thought it was really touching, a wonderful story of healing, but not for children or anyone who is sensitive to depression or hopelessness.

Had a deep sleep due to the physical work I put in regardless of the wine. Today starts AF for the ‘work’ week ahead.

A - 2
    AF - 4
    May goal - 22-23 AF days
    Limit to 2 glasses
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Friday May 05 - 2 drinks. I was up very early Friday to get some stuff done in the yard before the promised 2-3 days of rain. I did get some more stuff planted and 2 sections of the grass cut. Too wet Saturday morning now to be able to cut the rest of the grass. After a very busy workday I went to help a friend move. It was a long day, but productive. I enjoyed my 2 drinks, then ended up staying up way later than usual watching all of the shows on the Royals lol. Pedicure today and planned Prosecco.
    Saturday May 06 - Drinks including 1 glass of prosecco and 2 other cocktails. I am picking up an extra dinner shift Sunday eve and plan to be AF

Rolling total - 4AF day out of 6 days.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @Hopeful0087 - I'm glad you're here.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I have been partaking in this LA thread since June of ‘22 and it has made such a huge difference in my life. I have met some very kind and smart people on here and hope to continue to be 99% AF.

Thinking of May goals overwhelms me, there’s so much to do, so I’m just going to keep it simple:
    99% AF
    Weight loss of 4-5 pounds
    Get moving

5/1-5/7: 7 out of 7 AF

I am slowly starting to feel normal. I’m not sure where this fatigue is coming from but it’s a real pain in my *kitten*! I have so many things I want to do!
    I’ve made it through the first hour of the podcast. It’s pretty loaded. A lot to think about. I am so grateful that I cut back so drastically on A in September of 2022. Either zero drinks per month or one drink per month, except the day I got diagnosed with cancer, I had 2 very strong drinks that night. I am grateful that I cut back but so much damage has been done. The part about genes really interested me as my brother is a recovering alcoholic and my parents are daily drinkers.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @Hopeful0087 We are here.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    @joans1976 glad you are feeling a bit better. I need to review the Lab podcast about genes but agree a propensity for alcohol in families does exist whether that be addiction or poor habit. My parents were not great role models and drank quite a bit during my childhood/adolescent years.

@Hopeful0087 we are glad you are here. Each of us are on our individual paths. You will find a lot of support and no judgment here.

@SunnyDays930 thanks for sharing your insight about inflammation and alcohol today. I keep thinking about all the ethanol I used to ingest each day. Thankful those days are behind me. But I still love a good wine now and then.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Sunday May 07 - AF - Planned AF for tonight. 2A days and I am up 4 pounds!

Rolling total - 5AF day out of 7 days.
  • 2timesacharmmfp
    2timesacharmmfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BAH May is starting the way April finished (insert facepalm).

DH is starting to travel for work again which can be a trigger for me - once all the chores are done and kids/pets are all tucked in, a glass of wine always sounds appealing. Plan for this week is to resist though...

Vacation coming up next week will be quite a challenge but I'm still planning to stick to my drinks per day rule and dare I say....maybe have a couple AF days?

So far in May 3 AF/ 4 A but those "A" days were heavy. Planning AF this week until Friday.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Michieb125 wrote: »
    Regarding the Huberman lab - I listened to the cancer section and his study’s suggests alcohol can change our cells which is one of the reasons I am much LA these days. I think all diseases are probably related to other things that have to do with too much stress, weight, other disorders and such.

I think this is very insightful. I think there's a lot of indirected effect where chronic alcohol consumption contributes certain effects and then those effects, in turn, contribute to more downstream problems.

For me personally though, alcohol has not been the ultimately upstream issue in some sort of chain or complex network of causation/contribution. For me, the problem has been such a magnifier.