LESS Alcohol ~ MAY 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @GaryM_25 So glad to hear an update, I have been wondering how you are doing. Apparently driving. The onstage thing is a big NSV! Sorry about the plantar fascitis, what a pain. It sounds like you are keeping up with all the things though and it is inspiring!

@lmlmrn Living the hotel life is hard. Its fun for 2 nights but then...no. When my parents moved they had to stay in hotel for 2 weeks, with their yappy little dog. They had a little kitchenette situation but I ended up cooking things for them and taking it to them and they were so grateful for something that was homemade! I liked it because the hotel had a nice gym and no one was ever in there.

@ahoy_m8 I do have a note into my treatment team, we'll see what they say. I know I cant live my life like this, I fell asleep at my desk yesterday at 3:00 in the afternoon (I think) and I need to be a productive member of society past 3 pm.

@dawnbgethealthy Will you take the liquor rep job? Is it a liquor you like? :p
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Checking in -

What went well: I ran yesterday and got to 11:27mi. speed without even trying and in 83 degree weather. Made me happy. I also ate sauerkraut last night thanks to the advice here. Happy tummy. Sleeping GREAT with my new quieter A/C. Less noise makes all the difference.

What did not: Work is beyond insane and I consumed too much food and drink since Mother's Day started it off.

Next steps: Out the door I go for a long walk with bunnies out in the desert to just chill out before my planned AF day begins.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,566 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Monday May 15 - AF - I was offered a temporary job until the end of August, 12 hours per week, 3-4 hour sessions as a product sampling agent in the liquor store respresenting a brand. Today after work I have an appointment with a bank to try to consolidate stuff. Easy to be AF last night knowing what I had on the docket for today, Tuesday. I may have drinks tonight. Hit my 10 : - )
    Tuesday May 16 - 2 drinks - Not ideal. Yes, I had sort of planned to have drinks, but that was pre-stress, so I had them when I was stressed out, not during happiness or the feeling of accomplishment. My bank visit did not go well, my income is not high enough after having lost one of my jobs in order to get a consolidation loan.

Rolling total - 10AF day out of 16 days.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 509 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @RachelleNH welcome here! This group is full of supportive people who want to drink less alcohol whatever that means to you. I find a lot
    of insightful and inspiring tips here. Being an empty nester can also be hard, especially at first.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5/1-5/2-5/3 - AF
    5/4-5/5-5/6- A
    5/7- 5/8 - 5/9 -5/10- AF
    5/11 - 5/12 - 5/13 - A
    5/14 - 5/15 - 5/16 - AF
    5/17 - A
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

Wednesday May 17 - AF - Willpower won out yay! This morning as I write this is is so smoky with particulate matter looking like silt/fine snow. I have all of my plants on my covered front porch that really need to get into the ground. I put a few in after work today, but I fear that some of those will not do very well, especially the petunias who don't like smoke. I am anxious to get my peppers and tomatoes planted. The weather is very warm, but I don't feel like it is safe for my plants with all of the particulate matter. Smoke is blowing up from the States, over from Alberta, and who knows where else. This town is safe because of the prescribed burn a few weeks ago creating a fire break. Normally we don't see fires until August. I had good plans to cut the grass and do some planting this morning before work, but guess that I will stay inside.

Rolling total - 11AF day out of 17 days.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Goals for May
    Self-care and positive vibes!
    Zig-zag calorie count - Daily Average 1400
    Success = No more than two glasses of wine per night.

Current Streak - AF = 1 ~
    5/17 AF ~ Yippee 💚 Success! Yesterday was good. Within calorie range, still a little short on water, but no alcohol! But, although a great day all around, the scale didn't show it and in fact, showed a gain. That was a little frustrating this morning ..... Gotta turn this ship around!!

So what did I do..went to Amazon and bought a new scale! (I did but not solely for that reason). I found one that tracks more metrics and I also bought a digital tape measure (I love gadgets). Keeping the focus!

@RachelleNH ~ Hang in there and we are all here to support you. Do you have any hobbies that you can fill your time with? In particular, things that you can't do while drinking (that helps me🙂 ) I'm an empty nester too, and that part I'm ok with but I still like to spend more time with my son and his family (3 year old grandson) but they always seems so busy and to see them...I seem to have to be the one to make the effort. But I digress. Let us know how we can help you.

@GaryM_25 ~ Kudos for sure. Getting a 1st class upgrade is always exciting! Passing on the wine is surely a NSV!! Good for you. Congrats on your successes!

The Month recap to stay accountable
    5/1 AF ~ Yipee! 💚 - Finished April with 3 days straight AF! I changed a lot of things in the past couple of weeks - I'm not sure which one is working or if it's the combination. I lost 9lbs in April. I can't tell you the last time that happened. :heart: April 1 to April 15 - 3lbs, April 16 to April 30 - 6 lbs!!!

5/2 A ~ 🍷🍷🍷'eh. 1:1 for May but did string a few days in a row. I plan to be AF today and Thursday. Friday is Cinco de Mayo and my husband is already talking about Mexican so there might be a margarita or two.

5/3 AF ~ Yippee! 💚There's this window when I get home from work. About 30 minutes after my arrival for about an hour... If I get past that point, I'm usually ok. When there's nothing really stressing me, then it seems to be just habit for me.

5/4 AF ~ Yippee 💚 Today is Cinco De Mayo. Husband wants Mexican food and Margaritas. 😲😮🤭. I've already plugged planned food/drink into MFP and its going to be a tough one but I'm going to try to stay at my calorie budget. I have a salad planned for lunch which comes in at 300 calories. That leaves me plenty of room for a (one) margarita and a chicken taco meal. That leaves me with 45 calories to spare. Oops, forgot the chips and guacamole. 🤞🏽 I think I will go for an extra walk at lunch today!🙂

5/5 A ~🍸🍸🍸
    5/6 A ~🍸🍸🍸
    5/7 A ~ 🍷🍷
    5/8 A ~🍷🍷 Need to get back on track today after a long, fun weekend full of drinks and food! Friday was Cinco de Mayo. Tried hard to make those calories fit within budget and have only 1 margarita #fail. Went to the Zoo on Saturday and walked around for 4 + hours with family (Grandson). It was a cool, wet and rainy day so the animals were VERY active. Usually they are just lying around asleep. After all that walking, we stopped at the Granite City Brewery. Had a burger to die for and a glass of wine. Came home to watch the Kentucky Derby and had a few cocktails. Sunday was back to a "normal" kind of day. Spent the morning cutting bushes and pulling weeds, then relaxed in the evening cooking on the grill (it was beautiful outside) and a couple glasses of wine. Today should be AF for sure and back on calorie budget! Update: Calories ok, but had wine.

5/9 A ~ 🍷🍷Long day yesterday. Husband had knee replacement surgery and I didn't plan very well for "me". Was hungry most of the day, only remedied by snacks. Couldn't bring outside food into the waiting room and they only had snacks and I didn't want to leave the area in case their were updates.

5/10 A ~🍷🍷 Another long day yesterday. The hospital is 1.5 hours away from home (he wanted a specific doctor) so another 3+ hours driving and they kept him another night. I did better with food choices but still over budget. The "all or none" in me is looking at a Sunday reset.

5/11 A ~🍷🍷🍷Yet another long day. So about 6 years ago, I use to commute to work 90 minutes each way, 5 days a week. After making a similar drive for three days in a row, I don't know how I managed. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do....
    It was a stressful day. Husband was released🙂 but really not mobile at all. He "sort of" fell while getting into the car. I say "sort of" as the car broke his fall, he ended up sitting on the car floor. Someone eventually came out to help get him in the seat. We drove home. Took him over an hour to get from the car to inside the house. Once inside, he "thought" he was going to climb the 15 stairs to get to our bedroom. I said, nope, nadda, not going to happen. I said pick a couch or you can sleep in the recliner in the TV room and "maybe" we will try again tomorrow.
    Then I cooked dinner and had wine!! Today I'm making him walk through the house every 60 to 90 minutes.

5/12 A ~🍷🍷🍷

5/13 A ~🍷🍷🍷

5/14 A ~🍷🍷🍷Mother's Day. I splurged with cheese and crackers and a chocolate flavored wine. Now it's time to get back on the plan - both for eating and drinking. I did make this instant pot pepper steak for dinner yesterday. It was actually pretty good and serving was under 350 calories, then add rice. I was going to serve over cauliflower rice, next time.

5/15 A ~ 🍷🍷🍷

5/16 AF ~ Yippee 💚
    5/16 A ~ I thought the mind game prediction would help. It didn't. I'm going to start wearing ear buds when I get home. It's now been a full week since my husband's surgery. I don't discount that he has pain but the yelling is driving me nuts. Each time he yells, and he yells a lot, I panic and think that he's fallen or something. Somehow, I'm thinking, when I'm at work and he's alone, he's not screaming bloody murder. #andthistooshallpass. I am going to focus on being AF tonight, screams or no screams. I want to balance this month out.
    My 2023 Stats...
    Current Month
    AF = 4
    A = 13
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January
    AF = 53%
    A = 47%
    February
    AF = 29%
    A = 71%
    March
    AF = 0%
    A = 100%
    April
    AF = 14%
    A = 86%
    May
    AF = 24%
    A = 76%
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

Wednesday May 17 - AF - Willpower won out yay! This morning as I write this is is so smoky with particulate matter looking like silt/fine snow. I have all of my plants on my covered front porch that really need to get into the ground. I put a few in after work today, but I fear that some of those will not do very well, especially the petunias who don't like smoke. I am anxious to get my peppers and tomatoes planted. The weather is very warm, but I don't feel like it is safe for my plants with all of the particulate matter. Smoke is blowing up from the States, over from Alberta, and who knows where else. This town is safe because of the prescribed burn a few weeks ago creating a fire break. Normally we don't see fires until August. I had good plans to cut the grass and do some planting this morning before work, but guess that I will stay inside.
    Thursday May 18 - 2 drinks. Air quality advisory still when I got off of work at 3pm. I resisted drinks for about an hour. I suppose that I could have cleaned something inside of my house because the air was too thick to do anything outside at all. Anyway, I had a couple of drinks and was asleep by 8pm and up just before 4am. The sky is lightening up here at 5:45am and it still looks smoky. I am working a split shift Saturday at the restaurant, so will be AF tonight.

Rolling total - 11AF day out of 18 days.