LESS Alcohol ~ MAY 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    @Womona and @ahoy_m8

I admire both of you with your approaches to LA.

@Womona - You mostly stick to one drink with your microsips. Whereas I am not an all or nothing person, if I am going to not have an AF day it would be unthinkable for me to only have one. You DO drink less.

@ahoy_m8
    You always stick to the plan of M-Th AF. To me this seems like a better way, no guesswork and no expectations as to which days to pick as AF days. I hope to some day adopt this, kind of trying it this week.

As cocktail season is approaching I hope to continue like I did last summer where I was making my cocktails with a half of a shot, so that I would have 4 drinks instead of 2. I still get the flavour and the tiny buzz. It is now 90 degrees here when I get off of work, so thoughts of gin drinks have already entered my mind but I am trying to abstain for at least another few days.
  • dawnbgethealthy

I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Monday May 01 - AF - I wanted drinks, it seems that I pretty much always do. Willpower won out, so that is a good thing. I don't want to repeat last month's behaviour where I toploaded the month with daily drinking and wasn't really able to try hard enough not to, and then I found myself trying to play catch up nearing the end of the month to get those AF days in. A short-lived 2nd job kept me AF for 4 days. When I don't have anything pressing the next day, that is when I struggle to not have drinks. Such will be the case this week, I will endeavour to dig deep and not give in to the craving.
    Tuesday May 02 - AF - As usual, I felt like having a couple of drinks, but didn't.

Rolling total - 2AF day out of 2 days.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,815 Member
    Goals for May
    Self-care and positive vibes!
    Zig-zag calorie count - Daily Average 1400
    Success = No more than two glasses of wine per night.

5/2 A ~ 🍷🍷🍷'eh. 1:1 for May but did string a few days in a row. I plan to be AF today and Thursday. Friday is Cinco de Mayo and my husband is already talking about Mexican so there might be a margarita or two.

I'm about 30 minutes into the podcast.

Current Streak - AF = 0

@lmlmrn and @globalhiker ~ I have a treadmill but it's over 10 years old so you probably would not be able to find the exact one. It's a Precor. Not as big as the ones in the gym but it's decent for home.

@GaryM_25 ~ That treadmill looks awesome. My treadmill is in the basement and sometimes I just don't want to go to the basement. Something to consider.

The Month recap to stay accountable
    5/1 - Finished April with 3 days straight AF! I changed a lot of things in the past couple of weeks - I'm not sure which one is working or if it's the combination. I lost 9lbs in April. I can't tell you the last time that happened. :heart: April 1 to April 15 - 3lbs, April 16 to April 30 - 6 lbs!!!
    My 2023 Stats...
    Current Month
    AF = 1
    A = 1
    5/1 AF ~ Yippee! 💚
    5/2 A ~ 🍷🍷🍷
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January
    AF = 53%
    A = 47%
    February
    AF = 29%
    A = 71%
    March
    AF = 0%
    A = 100%
    April
    AF = 14%
    A = 86%
    May
    AF = 0%
    A = 0%
    May
    AF = 50%
    A = 50%
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    edited May 2023
    One of the things the Huberman podcast is helping me understand is the various effects that alcohol has across the body. I think prior I was overly focused on what would be some of the "positive" effects of alcohol on the body, at least in moderation. Specifically, red wine has been considered as beneficial for heart health, through antioxidants which may help prevent coronary artery disease.

The heart though is just one organ of the body (yet a significant one to me especially because of family history). I don't think I've really wanted to pay attention to other effects.

One of the things Dr Huberman brings up in the beginning of the podcast, maybe for the attention-getting value, is how according to some studies chronic drinking of low volumes of alcohol is a cause of neurodegeneration. Other than the immediate and observable effects, I don't think I had given enough thought to impacts of alcohol to the brain, for instance.

I think I would benefit from looking at alcohol's identifiable benefits and broader negative effects much more complexly.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 16AF days in April.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Monday May 01 - AF - I wanted drinks, it seems that I pretty much always do. Willpower won out, so that is a good thing. I don't want to repeat last month's behaviour where I toploaded the month with daily drinking and wasn't really able to try hard enough not to, and then I found myself trying to play catch up nearing the end of the month to get those AF days in. A short-lived 2nd job kept me AF for 4 days. When I don't have anything pressing the next day, that is when I struggle to not have drinks. Such will be the case this week, I will endeavour to dig deep and not give in to the craving.
    Tuesday May 02 - AF - As usual, I felt like having a couple of drinks, but didn't.
    Wednesday May 03 - AF - Someone in the afternoon asked me to take their dinner shifts for Wednesday and Thursday, so I was glad that I abstained on Tuesday night. It also made it easy for me to be AF Wednesday night since I will have a long-ish day Thursday.

Rolling total - 3AF day out of 3 days.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 487 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy you are off to a great start in May! Good for you!

@GaryM_25 I appreciate reading your comments on the podcast as well. I found Huberman’s remarks on the neurodegeneration from alcohol remarkable.

I too find that red wine has been my choice for heart health over the last couple of years. In fact, it is part of the published Mediterranean diet (food plan). Adopting LA I am not so worried about the varietal as much.

Since Feb. 2023 (this is only my 3rd month here) I do AF on ‘regular days’ during each week so I know ahead that Thursday/Saturday (or Friday/Sunday) are planned A if I choose, which usually revolves around weekend activities. This seems to be working for me for now.

A - 0
    AF - 3
    May goal - 22-23 AF days
    Limit to 2 glasses
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Checking in- 1 AF 1 A so far this month, but that "A" was birthday drinks :smile: planning to remain AF until Friday to start the month with 1 A, 3 AF.

Happy Birthday! Woo hoo!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Hi! I am back for May. I've totally dropped red wine which was my bestie. Now trying to drop the white. I've cut back a lot ( I am on Wegovy which helps) and have lost 10 lbs from a recent high.
    Good luck to all, whatever their goals may be. :)

Wow that’s amazing! Are you finding you’ve lost the taste for alcohol while on Wegovy?