60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This article is about more than just a couple of old ladies who go to the gym. It's our lesson for aging well: care about our health, be open to new experiences, and stay engaged in the world around us 🙂

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/crossfit-seniors-women-1.6832791

What fantastic role models for all of us!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Good work!! What an achievement!
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Thank you @ridiculous59!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    🥳🎉congrats Pdc654. Awesome achievement!!!
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Thanks, @trekkie123 !
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Great achievement, @Pdc654. Best wishes for you as you move to maintenance.
  • Pdc654
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Thank you @alteredsteve175 . Nice to see you posting here. I'm glad you are at least able to maintain your weight with all you have going on. I hope the cortisone injections help your wife's knees.
  • trekkie123
    Options
    Hang in there Steve!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Think I've found my people. I'm 61 and a friend was staying with me this week and she took a photo of me and . . . deary deary me. I was not happy about it.

Anyway, May is the best month for new enterprises, so here I am.

Welcome, @LaetitiaLouise! It's interesting that you'd mention the photo thing, because that's what triggered my dad to lose weight years back, after he retired and gained some - Christmas photos, in his case.

The good news is that - IMO, IME - improving fitness and losing weight are both achievable at any age, and the same general tactics work across the age spectrum, with some tweaks to adjust to circumstances that are maybe more individual vs. age related.

Please keep contributing to this thread, and if you have questions or hit some roadblocks, quite often people here - or elsewhere in the MFP Community - can help. I know we tend to feel that our age makes us special, but it's been surprising to me to see how much people with similar goals have in common, even if ages differ.

Wishing you success!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I see it's been a while since I've chimed in here, so maybe it's time for an update.

First, though, how is everyone else doing? Any updates to keep this thread going as a social or tactical help to our fellow 60-somethings?

@alteredsteve175, it's good to hear from you. You're a champ, holding the line on bodyweight with so much stress in your life for so long now. Please know that I - and I'm sure others here - are sending strength, wishing you the smoothest possible course through these difficult time. Your steadfastness is inspiring.

Here in my life, it's finally starting to be Spring. On-water rowing season is slow to start this year - getting bouts of cold still, so the water's slow to warm up to a level I consider safe for our boats (some of which only have about 4 inches (10cm) of boat above the waterline, and are very tippy). I've had some nice bike rides out on the trails, though, and an area of Spring flooding has dropped enough to permit an additional chunk of trails to the North. (I feel safer traffic-wise biking on the trails, which start about 1.75 miles via manageable roads from my house.) Everything outdoors has greened up nicely, lots of good-smelling flowering trees and shrubs on my route.

Even indoors at home, this guy (wax plant, Hoya carnosa) is flowering and very fragrant in the evenings - kind of a baby powder scent. (Putting photo in spoiler to save space.)
    l34mgyps2549.jpg
    Besides that, there's more variety at the farmers' market now.
    Fresh local spinach and Hakurei turnips in my salad . . .
    igd1s3s2j555.jpg

. . . and some delicious asparagus (broiled).
    rp0get3bdjbi.jpg

Yes, each of those is one serving, just for me.😉😋
    I did get my taxes in on time, but now my state wants additional information. Best guess is that they're questioning my homestead property tax credit, for which I'm eligible some years and not others because of fluctuating income. I'm gathering a bunch of stuff to send in. It's always something, innit?

Generally, life is good, though!

• trekkie123
    Options
    Best of luck Laetita!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Hi @momzilla11 we're the same age. I haven't been in this group for a long time but have been on mfp for logging, thanks for sharing. I don't meal prep but I rotate the same basic foods & try something new occasionally. I cook for me & husband & toppers for our dogs
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well after after effects of fatigue post covid. Finally having more normal energy days than less. I activated my gym membership after a long time. It has a really nice year round pool. I don't know how much I will be able to do post pinched nerve because I've learned once you have one, that part of your body gets weak & I don't want to risk another, it was very painful but I know I can go on the treadmill & swim. I still walk my dogs most every morning as I always have for about an hour. I've been maintaining at 151. My body looked more slim at that weight when I was working out a lot but like I said, I don't think I can go back to doing 3 HIIT classes a week, racquetball, stem classes, etc. We live 3 blocks away from a nice gym & I've been going for about 30 years no matter how much I weighed because I enjoy going but I'll focus on what I can do
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Welcome, @cocobop764. I'm glad to hear that you're getting early positive results from your new healthier habits!