60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I finally had my little ‘whoosh’. This morning I lost almost one full pound. Yay! I think this is the best I can expect. Sometimes, I think my rate of loss is so slow, but when I look at my trend it’s just fine. It seems to be between one and two pounds a week. I’m happy I decided to do this. I’m happy that I feel this is sustainable. I like the way I eat. I like my food choices. They are making me healthier. My skin has cleared, and my heartburn has disappeared. I feel very lucky to have this opportunity to improve my health.

That seems absolutely perfect, @Melwillbehealthy - the sweet spot of weight management: Congratulations on finding it! 👍😊
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a perfect rate of loss to me @melwillbehealthy. That is what I am hoping to achieve also. I'd be happy with a nice solid 1 lb. per week. :) I still have a few kinks to work out and I need to develop a bit more discipline, but I think it's really a matter of building on the good habits and not throwing in the towel completely when I get off track.

For me, it has been necessary to adjust my caloric intake to accommodate the heart med I have to take.
    I find I feel better with somewhat lower carbs, but I'm no longer excluding things from my diet, just eating smaller portions. Something I find really helpful for me is to actually plan what I'm going to eat for the day first thing in the morning and if I stick to it, I don't have to worry about going over my calories. I can also assure that I am getting a good balance in my nutrition; enough protein and fibre and making my calories really count.

Ann, I read your thread about the TDEE and NEAT and I found myself parking my car at the far end of the parking lot yesterday. LOL Planning on including more of that in my lifestyle.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Well done, @Melwillbehealthy. You have determined what works for you and you are following your plan. That's the ticket to long term weight loss and maintenance.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I had a few upticks for a couple days. Can't fathom why but sticking to my plan. It will have to eventually go back down. Ive been fortunate and working hard for the past months of 10 lbs lost/month. Guess the time has come for it to slow down some and its ok.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I experimented today. I weighed myself before I went swimming. Then I weighed myself after I finished swimming. Guess what? I lost 1/2 lb. lol! Boy, was I thirsty.
  • mac116
    mac116 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm concerned about Thanksgiving. Anyone taking the day off?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    mac116 wrote: »
    I'm concerned about Thanksgiving. Anyone taking the day off?

I'm not sure what taking the day off means, but I'm planning some indulgences, and not worrying about hitting my regular daily nutritional/calorie targets, even though I'm soloing Thanksgiving again this year for pandemic reasons.

The scale will be up a good bit next day, but mostly water weight, and that'll drift off over the following week or so, if experience is any guide. 🤷‍♀️
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy your day.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating today. And Happy Thursday to everyone else. Thankful to you all on this amazing journey.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, seasoned citizens!

I am thankful for many things, and all of the great people I have met here are at the top of the list! Appreciate you all!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I love the "Seasoned Citizens"!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving 🍁🦃🍽
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a definite diet day off!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hope you are well after yesterday. Fortunately, we went to friends so no left overs to deal with as all those left over with carbs and sugar are not an issue. It's all about celebrating with those we love not all the food. How thankful for slowly being able to be with family and friends. Counting my blessings and that includes all of you.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    I had a bit of a whoosh. 6.8 lbs of my 5 lb November goal. Down total of 80 lbs now of my 133 lb ultimate goal. 1 more and I'm out of the Obese category!

I behaved for Thanksgiving. I only had meat and broccoli during the meal. The sides and gravy weren't calling out to me, "Eat me!" as usual. But I did take home and indulge later on a small piece of homemade flan (I never had it before and the girl who made it is in Pastry school) and someone else brought a Pumpkin Cheesecake from a Farmer's Market that looked (and tasted) extraordinary! Did my Elliptical that morning for 217 minutes so I had 3810 calories to work with. I only ate 1357 of that, more than my usual 1000-1200. But it was Thanksgiving!

@AnnPT77
    Wow! I bet you can get all those meters in. Your making me contemplate getting a rowing machine.

I hope everyone here on this thread had a nice US Thanksgiving and to everyone else a nice weekend!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a whoosh. 6.8 lbs of my 5 lb November goal. Down total of 80 lbs now of my 133 lb ultimate goal. 1 more and I'm out of the Obese category!

I behaved for Thanksgiving. I only had meat and broccoli during the meal. The sides and gravy weren't calling out to me, "Eat me!" as usual. But I did take home and indulge later on a small piece of homemade flan (I never had it before and the girl who made it is in Pastry school) and someone else brought a Pumpkin Cheesecake from a Farmer's Market that looked (and tasted) extraordinary! Did my Elliptical that morning for 217 minutes so I had 3810 calories to work with. I only ate 1357 of that, more than my usual 1000-1200. But it was Thanksgiving!

@AnnPT77
    Wow! I bet you can get all those meters in. Your making me contemplate getting a rowing machine.

I hope everyone here on this thread had a nice US Thanksgiving and to everyone else a nice weekend!

I'm working out far, far less on my rowing machine/bike than you are on your elliptical, @swimmom_1. Your resolve is extraordinary!

Hedonist that I am, I can spend a couple of hours biking or rowing outdoors, which I find much more fun . . . Winter, less volume of exercise for me.

You seem to be doing very well with your elliptical. If you're enjoying it, I'm not sure a rowing machine would bring anything special to the situation.

Best wishes for continuing success!
  • karlschaeffer
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi, all -

Hope everyone is doing well, and that those of you in the US (or US expats) had a nice Thanksgiving!

Currently, I'm in the "post-US-Thanksgiving recovery period", I guess. I was solo, so I made some foods I don't usually bother making, or eat only occasionally because indulgent, which was fun. I didn't calorie count the day, though I did make notes as I was cooking, so I may backtrack and do so, not sure. (I do need to add recipes for the rest of the things for which I have leftovers to eat up!)

I made some oven fries, ate them with acres of ketchup for breakfast; made some bread stuffing with corn & black beans for main meal (added some portobello mushroom sauce); and made . . . I guess it was coconut pudding? . . . for dessert. (I wanted the filling of coconut cream pie, but didn't care about the crust part, so I made the filling, ate it with whipped cream.) I had some nice red wine alongside.

So, a pretty indulgent day, with unusual foods, and predictable results on the scale. I was up 2 pounds on Friday morning compared to Thursday, and up another 2.4 (4.4 total) by Saturday morning, even though I was back on routine on Friday. This morning, down 1 of those, and assuming there'll be a gradual drop over the next week or so, if I stay on routine as planned. I'll see where things settle out.

The other thing that's happening in my routine is the start of the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge. Concept 2 are the people who make one of the major, oldest brands of rowing machines, and now some other exercise equipment. Every November/December, they do a thing where those of us who use their logging system are invited to row 10,000 or 200,000 meters between US Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

If we do, they give money to charities based on how many meters their community completes. (One can include equivalent meters from their other machines, but bike meters count half of rowing meters.) Most years, I shoot for the 200km level, as long as I don't have some injury/surgery/recovery or other physical issue preventing. It helps me get out of my Fall denial (after on-water rowing ends) and into a (less fun, admittedly) Winter routine.

I usually do 6 days a week, skip Sundays, set a minimum meters goal per workout on that basis. Early in 2021, I bought one of their bikes, to add to the rowing machine I already had, because I'd stopped going to biweekly spin classes at the Y due to the pandemic, but wanted some variety. (I don't do much video dance-y kind of cardio, even though it's fun, because of issues with my knees.)

So, this year, I'm alternating row days (7,692m minimum) with bike days (15,284m minimum) for the Mo-Sat days. Either one, at a moderate pace/intensity, takes about 45 minutes.

So far, I'm 24,530 meters into it, and on my first Sunday rest day. Hoping the aging body will hold up all the way to 12/24 and the 200km goal, not to mention my meandering will power and motivation! 😆

Hoping everyone else is doing well: All the best!

Good Luck and have fun with your charity row.

• karlschaeffer
    Options
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is a definite diet day off!

… and in my case, several days after! 🤣 Back at it Monday.