60 yrs and up

Replies

• anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Husband had last round of chemo yesterday so now it's wait and see. It may take several months to see improvement. Steve, I was thinking of all you are going through and how strong you are. Your an inspiration.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    bobbieg101 wrote: »
    I am new to this app. I’ve just turned 70. I have 2 bad knees ands couple of bulging discs. I’m up and out to work daily, but a little slower. I am vey much over weight, but would be happy to lose 50 lbs. That’s my goal. I also want to increase my energy level. I am out of shape, have no stamina and am concerned about increasing my activity level.

Welcome, @bobbieg101. You've come to the right place. Lots of support and encouragement here. Just start slow and increase your activity level as you can. Start logging your food and you will get a handle on the appropriate calorie level for your situation.

Things are up and down at my house. My wife has constant joint pain now. I've tried to get her to go to the clinic for an evaluation, but she's resistant. She says, "They can't do anything for me". She has an appointment with the oncologist in a couple of weeks. I have been getting some walking in, and that is keeping my stress levels under control.

Sending strength and good wishes to you both, Steve. I hope your wife will be willing to talk with the oncologist about her joint pain at that appointment. The scenarios were very different, but with my and my husband's cancer treatments, I did find the oncology team willing to listen and make changes to try to improve symptoms or side effects. Realistically, some of those changes were more effective than others, but I came away with the conclusion that it's always good to bring up anything that's troubling.

I'm glad to hear you're still able to work in some exercise and "you time": That's an important thing for a caregiver.

Wishing you the smoothest possible course through these difficult times!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited December 2021
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Husband had last round of chemo yesterday so now it's wait and see. It may take several months to see improvement. Steve, I was thinking of all you are going through and how strong you are. Your an inspiration.

Sending good wishes for positive progress for your husband, @anawake13, and support for you as a caregiver, too. People will say "it's harder for the caregiver" or "it's harder for the patient", but having been in both roles, I think it's that both are challenging, but in very different ways.

Wishing you both good outcomes!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    As @alteredsteve175 would say. I had a whoosh today! Even after having Pumpkin cheesecake yesterday but I did behave with the meal. So I actually lost after my Thanksgiving and Christmas meals!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas with family and Wish You All A Happy New Year!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and prayers for a healthy, peaceful new year! Let’s hope for an end to COVID 19!!!!!!

Amen to that!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Greetings, all. Haven't checked in here for a few days. Good to see that you all are keeping focused on your healthy lifestyle goals.

I am a member of another group here on MFP. It's called "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep It Off". A great support group with a weekly weigh in. There are other optional challenges that you can participate in, if you like. Or don't. That's okay too.

Regardless, the camaraderie and mutual support is great. The group has been very helpful to me over the last couple of years. Please join us if you like.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021-2022-to-join-hit-the-join-button-we-will-accept-you-shortly

Happy New Year, one and all!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    I've been on and off MFP for years. Been away for a while and ready to jump back in again. I'm 73, so definitely qualify for, and will embrace joining in! Bill
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Welcome @Bill70sStrong !
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited December 2021
    Best of the holiday season to everyone! I hope that everyone that celebrates Christmas had a very merry one. Ours was more quiet than past years, but I actually revelled in the peacefulness. I guess I'm getting old. LOL
    I've been so much better at managing our holiday food this year. We usually have the family here on Christmas Eve and there is always way to much food in the way of appetizers, cheese, cold cuts, etc. This year I scaled way, way back. We still did appetizers on Christmas Eve, but there was only 4 of us and I cooked accordingly. We still have some cheese and salami in the fridge, but all of the cooked foods got finished Christmas day while waiting for the turkey. As for the turkey dinner, I made the usual amount of stuffing, divided it in half. One half for Christmas day and I froze two other containers; I to give to my daughter (her family doesn't eat stuffing and she loves it) and the other for us in the future.
    The turkey has been stripped and the stock has been made.
    I have enjoyed a few butter tarts, a few mince tarts and a few shortbread over the last couple of weeks. I purposely didn't weigh myself. So a week later, when I stepped on the scale this morning, I'm happy to report that I'm only up half a pound! I'll take it!
    January 1st I'm planning on doing my 6th Whole30. For me, it's a wonderful way to reset my body for the year and to give my body a rest from the foods that it's sensitive to. I always feel wonderful at the end of the 30 days and the bonus is that I usually lose a few pounds in the process! The first couple of days are the toughest. It's not that I crave foods, more the habit factor. If I'm feeling nibbley, I'll automatically reach for a piece of cheese which is a no no on Whole30. Also, emptying out pantries is not something I can do or want to do for that matter. There are others living in the house and I am not about to force my priorities on to everyone else.
    I've also been really slack in the exercise department of late!! Definitely need to step up my game there. I got a new set of walking poles for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to getting out and giving them a spin!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    @SharGetsHealthy - You'll rock those walking poles!
  • alteredsteve175
    ... If I'm feeling nibbley, I'll automatically reach for a piece of cheese which is a no no on Whole30. Also, emptying out pantries is not something I can do or want to do for that matter. There are others living in the house and I am not about to force my priorities on to everyone else.
    I've also been really slack in the exercise department of late!! Definitely need to step up my game there. I got a new set of walking poles for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to getting out and giving them a spin!

I learned a new word today - nibbley. That cracked me up, Shar. 😄
    I will use that word in the future!

A second on the walking poles. I use them when hiking in the desert hills and they are great for lessening the strain on your knees. Please let us know how they work for you.

• SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    A second on the walking poles. I use them when hiking in the desert hills and they are great for lessening the strain on your knees. Please let us know how they work for you.

That's really good to hear. Knees tend to be a weakness in our family.

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    What are walking poles?
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks Steve!!
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Walking poles are also called trekking poles. Make sure you have them adjusted to the proper height. I have problems with my hands wrists and elbows so I don't always use them when I hike.
  • Zzsally
    Zzsally Posts: 153 Member
    I was with spark people. Lost weight and, enjoyed the exercise videos.
    I am watching diet. Have control of diabetes. Trying to walk...lets do this..the year is ending.🎉
    Keep moving, at least 10 minutes.
  • alteredsteve175
    tnh2o wrote: »
    Walking poles are also called trekking poles. Make sure you have them adjusted to the proper height. I have problems with my hands wrists and elbows so I don't always use them when I hike.

That's a great point. Try different lengths to figure out what is comfortable for you. I start with them at elbow length for level ground. Then I shorten them when hiking uphill and lengthen them for downhill hiking.