Wendler 5/3/1

Options

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Nice ! Got 8 reps on my last set of 3 on OHP.

As a side note, I've never been good at doing pullups/chins having started out at close to 300 lbs bodyweight. I'm now ripping off reps right & left. Need to add some weight.

I was doing them weighted but was using a pullup assist device that was like a bungee cord that slipped over my foot and attached to the pullup bar giving a mild assist. Scrapped that and have been doing regular chins, with ease, for a few weeks now.

That's cool. As much as I want to get my bench and OHP up, I really want to get my pull-up/chin-up strength up too. Right now I'm working on getting 5 sets of 10 (I can get 4 for 10 and then 1 for 8) in and then I'll add in some weight like I did for Dips.

Pretty much my plan too. I want to be doing 10's before adding weight.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    So I get e-mails from EliteFTS all of the time and I'm debating purchasing one of those "fat" cambered curl barls. They have a thicker handle and are 7' long, I believe, so they will work in a rack. I want this thing so I can use it for close grips. Not a fan of close grips with a straight bar.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So I get e-mails from EliteFTS all of the time and I'm debating purchasing one of those "fat" cambered curl barls. They have a thicker handle and are 7' long, I believe, so they will work in a rack. I want this thing so I can use it for close grips. Not a fan of close grips with a straight bar.

I've seen Thibaedeau use the Fat Bar a lot for various lifts and the thickness is suppose to make a real challenge. There are also these blue grips I believe ot be called "Fat Gripz" that you stick on any bar you want and get the same affect. I don't recall if EliteFTS sells those or not but it's another option I guess.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

I've seen Thibaedeau use the Fat Bar a lot for various lifts and the thickness is suppose to make a real challenge. There are also these blue grips I believe ot be called "Fat Gripz" that you stick on any bar you want and get the same affect. I don't recall if EliteFTS sells those or not but it's another option I guess.

I believe they do sell the Fat Gripz.

The reason I'm interested in this bar is the 7' length. With a standard curl barl I'd need a spotter/lift for close grips as the weight would have to come from the floor. With this fat bar I can take it right out of my bench rack. I'm not necessarily getting it because it's thicker. I've always preferred close grips with the curl bar.

God all of this talk about thickness & length makes me feel dirty. I'll go throw up now.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

You could wrap a towel around the bar, for the same affect.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

You could wrap a towel around the bar, for the same affect.

I use fat sponges under my hands when I do dips on my dipping bar. I think I have some kind of blood vessel issue in my palms as without the sponges it hurts like heck. Have also used the sponges for close grips.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm guessing you have home gym or do you plan on walking into the gym with you own bar? LOL. Gives new meaning to BYOB.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I'm guessing you have home gym or do you plan on walking into the gym with you own bar? LOL. Gives new meaning to BYOB.

I have over $30k worth of equipment in my garage...all Body Solid stuff, Smith Machine, leg press, etc. You name it, I've got it along with about 1000 lbs of free weights and PowerBlocks that go up to 130 lbs.
  • JNick77
    Options

I have over $30k worth of equipment in my garage...all Body Solid stuff, Smith Machine, leg press, etc. You name it, I've got it along with about 1000 lbs of free weights and PowerBlocks that go up to 130 lbs.

<--- seriously jealous

Dude, had a ****ty shoulder workout today. I only got 5 reps on my 3+ set today and last week I got 9 on my 5+ set. I'm gonna chalk it up to having a poor diet yesterday and it's getting towards the end of the week on the Anabolic Diet. I'll eat better today and hopefully finish strong tomorrow.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

<--- seriously jealous

Dude, had a ****ty shoulder workout today. I only got 5 reps on my 3+ set today and last week I got 9 on my 5+ set. I'm gonna chalk it up to having a poor diet yesterday and it's getting towards the end of the week on the Anabolic Diet. I'll eat better today and hopefully finish strong tomorrow.

You'll bounce back. I've had crappy squat workouts where I've gotten 4 on my 3 day only to get 5 on my set of 1 the next workout. It happens.

I'm debating not going above 5 reps on my last set for 3's & 1's. I'll still go higher than the 5's but I kind of want to add a bit more volume. I'd still be getting in excess of my prescribed reps but wouldn't be "going for broke." Thoughts?
  • JNick77
    Options

<--- seriously jealous

You'll bounce back. I've had crappy squat workouts where I've gotten 4 on my 3 day only to get 5 on my set of 1 the next workout. It happens.

I'm debating not going above 5 reps on my last set for 3's & 1's. I'll still go higher than the 5's but I kind of want to add a bit more volume. I'd still be getting in excess of my prescribed reps but wouldn't be "going for broke." Thoughts?

Today I could tell it was going to be a ****ty workout. I did a warm-up set with 110 and that didn't feel right and then I did my next warm-up with 135 and just lifting the 45's I could feel the weight as opposed to just flipping them up on the bar.

The one thing I remember reading in his book is that he doesn't recommend going to failure, so going for broke probably isn't good anyway. I've thought about this as well and go to a certain point on 5's and 3's but go for broke on 1's. I'm really not sure what's best. I've really tried to leave at least one "in the tank" on each lift as to not overdo it, plus I hate grinding reps anyways.

I'm also going to cut back on the direct tricep assistance work. I paired up some tricep work on both chest and shoulder days since it seemed like a good time to work them since they're getting worked anyway. I'll cut tricep work from shoulder day, except for dips, and just leave the isolation work for chest day and see how it goes.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

<--- seriously jealous

Today I could tell it was going to be a ****ty workout. I did a warm-up set with 110 and that didn't feel right and then I did my next warm-up with 135 and just lifting the 45's I could feel the weight as opposed to just flipping them up on the bar.

The one thing I remember reading in his book is that he doesn't recommend going to failure, so going for broke probably isn't good anyway. I've thought about this as well and go to a certain point on 5's and 3's but go for broke on 1's. I'm really not sure what's best. I've really tried to leave at least one "in the tank" on each lift as to not overdo it, plus I hate grinding reps anyways.

I'm also going to cut back on the direct tricep assistance work. I paired up some tricep work on both chest and shoulder days since it seemed like a good time to work them since they're getting worked anyway. I'll cut tricep work from shoulder day, except for dips, and just leave the isolation work for chest day and see how it goes.

I probably should've been more clear. By "go for broke" I meant that last set where you leave 1 or 2 in the tank, which I do. I was just thinking about limiting 3 & 1 sets to 5 reps max.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Tomorrow ends week one. Tough getting used to splits.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Tomorrow ends week one. Tough getting used to splits.

Oh yeah? Have you been doing more full-body or like an upper / lower split prior to this? I actually really like these splits, it's quick and to the point.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Full body, though.. one day heavy on bench, the next heavy on squat and so on.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Yeah, this is a little different. I did a high volume routine for a while that was upper body, upper body, rest, lower body, lower body, assistance work, rest. I think I prefer this split better personally.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Good workout. Got 6 reps on my last set of bench (1 rep prescribed) after jumping 10 lbs more than prescribed.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Good workout. Got 6 reps on my last set of bench (1 rep prescribed) after jumping 10 lbs more than prescribed.

That's awesome, nice! What kind of assistance work do you do with Bench day?

Today was upper back. Got 9 reps on my Rows for 3+ and I finally hit 5 sets of 10 reps each on my chin-ups. I'm going to stay with BW for week 3 and then when I start over I want to add some weight to these. I'm not sure how conservative I should go. I'm thinking +10 might be too light but I'm not sure, never really did chin-ups with additional weight. Oh and before anybody says anything, yes I realize chin-ups aren't exactly upper back. LOL! I just like to do pull-ups on one days and then chin-ups on another day and this workout just makes the most sense for me. :D
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    That's awesome, nice! What kind of assistance work do you do with Bench day?

Superset bench with chins. Then I superset Incline DB press with seated cable rows. Final superset is tricep pushdowns with bent over rear laterals. This changes every two weeks. First two waves it was chins, flat db press, machine rows, close grip BP & rear pec dec laterals.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Have tendonitis issues in my elbows & knees from heavy powerlifting as a youth. Have been using the Tommy Kono knee sleeves for both elbows & knees but they are tearing and wearing out so I puchased two pairs of Rehband sleeves (old style blue). Wow...these things are nice & tight and keep the joints warm.

Had OHP this morning and got 5 on my last set of one. Thursday will be my last workout (deads) of this wave before I start again. Experimenting with the skipping of the deload week for a few waves to see how things go.