No Surprise - Sucralose is Bad for You

And why am I not surprised by this story?

https://newsweek.com/artificial-sweetner-sucralose-dna-damage-1804008

I mean seriously, how many times have we found out eventually that man-made food ingredients do more harm than good? Funny thing, there is a simple way to determine (though not definitively) if something is okay to eat. Set the food outside and look for insects to start eating it. If insects stay away from it, you should too.

The bigger story of course is just how we "acquire" the taste of toxins, which sounds ridiculous to me. But sadly, it means that by acquiring the taste, we lose an ability to detect harm. In other words, the bad aftertaste of fake sugar should have been enough for us to say "no thanks".

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    And why am I not surprised by this story?

https://newsweek.com/artificial-sweetner-sucralose-dna-damage-1804008

I mean seriously, how many times have we found out eventually that man-made food ingredients do more harm than good? Funny thing, there is a simple way to determine (though not definitively) if something is okay to eat. Set the food outside and look for insects to start eating it. If insects stay away from it, you should too.

The bigger story of course is just how we "acquire" the taste of toxins, which sounds ridiculous to me. But sadly, it means that by acquiring the taste, we lose an ability to detect harm. In other words, the bad aftertaste of fake sugar should have been enough for us to say "no thanks".

The bad taste of fake sugar was indeed enough for ME to say "no thanks." :wink:
  • kshama2001
    While no one here has directly made the case that "my only beverage choices are between high calorie full sugar soda and zero calorie artificially sweetened soda" and "my only dessert/snack choices are between high calorie full sugar baked goods and low calorie artificially sweetened baked goods" I feel there is a strong undercurrent of that sentiment here and wanted to address that.

I know you guys intellectually know that's not true but that is the vibe I'm getting.

For those wanting to cut down on sugar without using artificially sweeteners, here's what I do:

12 oz of coke has 39 grams of sugar. I drink a lot of tea and use 6 grams of sugar for a 14 oz cup. I used to use more sugar and cut back. I could cut back further.

When I eat full fat and sugar baked goods, I have a smaller portion and add 3 ounces of berries.

My normal bedtime snack is berries, low fat Greek yogurt, and 20 g of granola. My supermarket was out of the first two recently and I bought full fat (plus more added sugar) yogurt and used a can peaches in heavy syrup that had been languishing in my pantry. This was yummy and a nice change, but added a lot of calories, sugar, and decreased protein. I found an acceptable berry substitute and paid more for my regular yogurt at another store.

Actually, the berries were more than acceptable, they are amazing! I've had triple berry blends from other brands that weren't nearly as good.

https://columbia-fruit.com/three-berry-blend/

They were more per pound than I normally pay for strawberries but less than blueberries.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    @kshama2001

Didn’t mean to imply that at all. I enjoy sweets and fruit every day. I’m particularly addicted to two or three large meringues before bed, and those are straight up sugar and egg whites.

Incorporating low or sugar free products permits more volume elsewhere, and allows me to squeeze in more protein, which is satiating to me.

I don’t do sugar soft drinks any more, though. Two Coke Zero, max, the second one being if we have burgers, tacos, pizza or the like for dinner.

Right now, with the AC having been out for a month and parts still backordered, ice water is the tipple du jour.

• springlering62
    PS: Wyman’s frozen wild blueberries for the win. Especially if topped with a scattering of sweet dark frozen cherries.
  • kshama2001
    PS: Wyman’s frozen wild blueberries for the win. Especially if topped with a scattering of sweet dark frozen cherries.

What brand of cherries do you get? Last time I bought frozen cherries it was a store brand and they were not worth buying again.
  • springlering62
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What brand of cherries do you get? Last time I bought frozen cherries it was a store brand and they were not worth buying again.

Kroger “preferred selection” or something like that. If you get the regular cherries they’re usually tart, so look for the dark sweet bag.

Ohh I’m peckish and you just reminded me I have some fresh cherries in the fridge a friend gave us. Yay!!!!
  • ByteLily
    ByteLily Posts: 52 Member
    Sucralose gives me migraines.

I've read several places that artificial sweeteners affect blood sugar is this not true ?

Stevia tastes like mint to me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Why would diabetic associations suggest them if it affected blood sugars?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,883 Member
    edited June 2023
    Why would diabetic associations suggest them if it affected blood sugars?

The ADA allows up to 10% of a persons calories to come from added sugars, which seems to be in pretty much everyone's general guidelines in the western world and suspect it's hard to remove all added sugars in someone's diet but they needed a blanket statement that will work for the vast majority of the population. They also say artificial sweeteners can be used, but also have a limit depending on the demographic like young children, pregnant people, that kind of thing. Artificial sweeteners don't raise glucose levels simply because there's no calories and there's no glucose. I'm sure you can find a study that says it does though. Cheers

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    No I don't think I could find a reputable study that says it does.

I am not saying it does at all, quite the opposite.

That was my whole point, diabetic associations would not suggest it if it did.

Perhaps I should of posted that as a statement rather than a rhetorical question.