What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Cooler day today, and one of our group needed to get home early-ish, so we started rowing a little earlier than usual. I rowed bow in the quad. We did power 10s (interval workout) during about half the workout time (warm-up to the bridge, intervals down to the other bridge, cool-down back to the boathouse, basically). Splits (minutes:seconds per 500m) were dropping by around 40 seconds or so on the power pieces.

Helped with learn-to-Row class tonight. I did some barge wrangling to bring it up to/from the dock (poling & stand-up paddling the unwieldy giant rectangular thing), then just ran the tiller while the class rowed it, so mild activity.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Upper body hypertrophy day in the weight room:

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Incline Cable Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extend 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx I hope the wildfire smoke clears for you in time!

I haven't managed to fit any workouts in the past two days due to really complicated long work days, early starts and late finishes. So all I've been able to focus on is steps, which is better than nothing. Have a banging headache tonight so am hoping it goes when I sleep so that I can get to the gym first thing.
  • laurachambers86
    edited June 2023
    Options
    My headache got worse last night and progressed into a migraine. Still felt it this morning so did the sensible thing and cancelled my gym workout. I get annoyed with myself for stuff like this even though it's outside of my control and would be stupid to even attempt a gym workout!

The weekend is scheduled to be around 25°C + here in the UK, I'm riding my share horse both days so have booked swimming as well so I can cool off afterwards.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Skipped my scheduled leg workout in the weight room, there's a paperwork snafu with my gym membership which I will get resolved after I come back from my vacation to see my son graduate from US Army basic training. No workouts for me the next couple weeks until I get back home.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Long run this morning for me: 45 min. with another 40 min. of walking split between before and after (and a few minutes in the middle of the run).

Yesterday's workout was some short stints of biking, around 50 min. total.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Big surprise, rowed again, the usual just under 7k. I was stroke rower in the quad.

Mostly did steady state, only a couple of power 10s, as a concession to the air quality here (orange zone, caution to people with sensitivities/health conditions . . . I have COPD, mostly asymptomatic, so . . . .). Yeah, it's from the Canada fires here, too, but not as much problem here as on the US East coast.

We look at our fastest immediate/temporary split (time per 500m as estimated in the moment by Garmin) to see how we're doing technically/power-wise. On the second power piece, we got the fastest split - briefly - that I've seen in any of our quads. It was a technique thing - we were well-synchronized, all on our game for those 10 strokes. Maybe we're making progress?

The row was it for today, other than the random minor stuff I do most every day here and there (few low squat holds, donkey kicks, side leg raises, whatever, during moments when I'm waiting for the microwave or some such thing).
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Good luck @Djproulx !

Today I went for a gentle horse ride in the morning, it was already 25°C at 9am and I can still feel the remnants of my migraine so we just plodded for about 40 minutes. The swim afterwards was amazing (I also hosed the horse down before I left as I thought he'd appreciate it!). I only did 20 lengths as the pool was busy but the main aim was to cool down and get some gentle exercise in, which I can say I achieved.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Another row, usual distance, I was in bow (steering/calling stuff).

Air quality improved to yellow, so we did quite a few power 10s between the warm-up and cool-down phases. Different lineup of rowers today hit yesterday's fastest pace once, but was about 5 seconds slower than that on the other 10s. (Still not bad, for us partly old-ish group . . . though we did have the advantage of our 30-something former NCAA div 1 conference championship rower sitting stroke today! ;) Having an excellent rower to follow is useful for technique self-improvement, too.)

I hope you have a great race day, @Djproulx - will look forward to your race report!
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    I spent EIGHT hours at my 12-year-old's swim meet yesterday in Joplin, Missouri. With a 2 hour delayed start because of rain, then some technical difficulties, we were there past 7:30 pm. This wasn't a workout for me, but it sure felt like one, especially the two hours I spent timing the swimmers. (Meets are usually 5 hours long, for reference.)

7nsij5ghcsc0.png

Today I got in a 24 minute, easy-paced bike ride, some gardening (pulling up grass in the flowerbed), the usual walk with my dog, and then 45 min. in the local pool, splashing around (I call it "water aerobics" on the MFP exercise chart since I'm moving), before they closed early for lightning. We joke that sometimes the lifeguards see imaginary lightning, esp. on weekends, so they can go home earlier. That's probably not fair, I know.

@Djproulx, glad you got to race today. Let us know all the details!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,278 Member
    Options
    Paddled a canoe about 3.5 hours (18 miles) on a river. I tried out a new shorter paddle, and I do like it. I'm happy to add it to my quiver. We started at a place I haven't been in maybe ten years. The river is "wilder" there with more hazards, but nothing that was unavoidable for a person with good boat control. There were for sure places where strong current was flowing directly in to down trees and branches. Not a place for a beginner. We only saw about six or seven bald eagles.

When I went to go pick up that nice paddle, I saw a very nice sea kayak paddle and contacted my friend to see if she wanted me to buy it for her. She did; I did. She likes it very much. I almost kept it for myself, but lately I've been doing a lot more canoeing than kayaking. It adjusts from 120 cm to 130 cm and weighs only 22 ounces (a little more than 600 grams). If I want to take my sea kayak out, she said I can borrow it. I told her to also keep the other paddle I loaned her for now so she can use it as a spare. I always like to carry a spare. Now I have a good collection to use in canoes, too.

We had to fight the wind quite a lot. That made us glad we decided to just run 18 miles instead of 23.

• laurachambers86
    Options
    Yesterday I did another short horse ride followed by 20 laps in the pool.

This morning I finally got back to the gym for the first time in a week. Went through a full-body workout, the AC wasn't working that well in the gym and it's really muggy here at the moment so I cut the final exercise short by 2 rounds.

Also did about 40 minutes of walking just completing errands. Plan to get to the gym earlier tomorrow before it gets too hot.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    10 min. walk with the dog, the later a 10 min. bike ride to the coffee shop; one hour of reading; a short warm-up walk, then 20 min. of running, and a 15 min. biking home. Left my bike at the coffee shop so I could get in a different route than the usual one around my house.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It's odd, I find caving, climbing and scuba all very chilled out activities. I was a nervous type when I was young. I think I must have used up my reserve levels of fear then.

I am scuba in diving in the Scilly Islands at the moment. It is lovely.

We had a couple of non-diving days to start. I did a lot if walking, averaging around 16 miles a day. We also bought bouldering mats, and so have had a few goes at outdoor bouldering on the local granite. It has been superb.

Yesterday, we dived the Cita (a container ship, max depth about 30 metres, time about 50 minutes); then a reef dive.

Today, the boat's compressor broke so we only got one dive. It was on (I think) the Lady Charlotte, a wreck near the Cita. It was properly lovely.

Hopefully the skipper will get a new compressor tonight, and the diving can continue.

I'll add pictures later. I found some random holes to crawl in, for example on an ancient ruin.

• DiscusTank5
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @DJProulx, I love all the details on Escape the Cape!! How fun to have a group to train and race with. And man, I only ever top 20 mph on a steep downhill slope. Your swim and bike sections sound outstanding.

Kudos to the women in your group for their podium finishes, but I hope you feel equally proud of a strong effort in this race. CONGRATULATIONS to all of you.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Great race report, @Djproulx - sounds like a fun and satisfying day for you and your group!