Meal kits and weight loss?

Options
Has anybody been using meal delivery kits in their weight loss journey? I’ve been using EveryPlate, personally. It’s nice to just be able to plug it into the app and know what I’m eating each week? Plus it’s relatively cheap compared to buying things I won’t end up using anyway

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I’ve used a couple of meal delivery services. The food was okay, easy to count and like you said, vastly cheaper than buying all the ingredients you’d need to cook from scratch. People like to make it sound that cooking from scratch 3-5 times a day every day is the one true path to weight loss—-it’s just not true. Pre-made, pre-cooked, and even restaurant food can be staples in a meal plan and you’ll lose just fine as long as your calories are in check.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    My husband and I get Sunbasket every couple of weeks, but not for weight loss. We got it for cooking when we don't have a lot of spare time. That being said, Sunbasket seems to be one of the lower calorie options of the meal kits available for us. I have no problems at all working the calories into my daily/weekly numbers.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Meh it kind of prevents us from learning how to prepare appropriate meals for ourselves IMO. But probably nice for people who work a lot or want some quick options.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I don't use them myself - but don't we all do convenient things that stop us learning to appropriately do it for ourselves.

I buy ready made clothes - I guess this is stopping me learning to sew appropriately for myself.

Does this matter?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    Meh it kind of prevents us from learning how to prepare appropriate meals for ourselves IMO. But probably nice for people who work a lot or want some quick options.

I'm not sure that's true?

I don't use them, but have known folks who used them and found them to expand their cooking skills.

Basically, it's a set of partially-prepped measured ingredients, with detailed instructions. If someone doesn't know where to start with cooking at home for themselves, I can see how this would be instructive.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    csplatt wrote: »

I'm not sure that's true?

I don't use them, but have known folks who used them and found them to expand their cooking skills.

Basically, it's a set of partially-prepped measured ingredients, with detailed instructions. If someone doesn't know where to start with cooking at home for themselves, I can see how this would be instructive.

that makes sense, thanks
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ann. I happen to be a very fancy cook with a bunch of exotic spices in house, but I know several people who have always just cooked the basics who have been introduced to different flavors and techniques using the meal services. They are not "pre-prepped and just zap it" meals. If someone does not have the different ingredients on hand (how much sumac and tahini is in your pantry?) and wants to experiement I think it enhances the learning curve.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Has anybody been using meal delivery kits in their weight loss journey? I’ve been using EveryPlate, personally. It’s nice to just be able to plug it into the app and know what I’m eating each week? Plus it’s relatively cheap compared to buying things I won’t end up using anyway
    If you can eat this way for life, then by all means continue to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    I agree with Ann. I happen to be a very fancy cook with a bunch of exotic spices in house, but I know several people who have always just cooked the basics who have been introduced to different flavors and techniques using the meal services. They are not "pre-prepped and just zap it" meals. If someone does not have the different ingredients on hand (how much sumac and tahini is in your pantry?) and wants to experiement I think it enhances the learning curve.

Dang, I ought to have some sumac, hadn't I? ;) (I'm good on the tahini.)

Oops, digression. Food is good! I do wish certain condiments came in smaller sizes, because that would work nicely for variety in a smaller household. Sometimes there are sample sets online or in specialty stores.

Tip for folks getting more into cooking, wanting to try things: Here in the US, it's usually possible to find someplace that sells spices in bulk. Often it's health food stores, ethnic or specialty groceries. You can literally buy a tiny amount of some new herb or spice to try. Note that the labeled price per pound may be daunting, but a whole spice jar's worth - let alone a one-recipe amount - is only a small number of grams, so very affordable.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This (meal kits) is one thing that I don't think works that way. Meal kits can IMO help people discover new foods, prep methods, or flavor profiles they like, and expand their eating horizons; or help them understand how to put together a healthier, more calorie-appropriate meal (if they pick the right service).

It's not like the "drink meal replacement shakes" idea. Generally, these are real meals that the person cooks (mostly from scratch) in their own home, just some of the prep done, and with detailed directions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

In general, I agree with losing weight via creating habits you can maintain for life, but I think using meal delivery kits is different.

Say someone starts off getting 7 kits a week. Presumably, they'd soon find some types of meals they like, learn the framework for them, be able to do them on their own, and be willing to purchase the staples so they can easily make those meals themselves. So then they cut down to 5 kits per week, then 2.

Or keep going, depending on how busy they are. I would have loved this service when I was working 50 hours per week and going to school part time.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Just be aware of the ingredients.

My kids started doing HelloFresh after the baby was born, and still do it a couple times a week.

My experience, visiting them and helping prep the meals is 1,001 different ways to use sour cream, and the recipes often call for a lot of oil.

That makes me nuts because the sauces are ubiquitous with Hello Fresh and always seem very heavy. Not every meal has to have a sauce.

We’ve done substitutions but that also makes me nuts because then it feels like you have to have extra supplies on hand and waste fully throw away stuff that was packed in the meal kit.

Also, the packaging is off the charts. Seems like we fill the trash can with every Hello Fresh meal, and that’s not including the shipping materials.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »

Yeah, I have a ridiculous amount of spices. I like to experiment and don't mind buying new spices, but sometimes end up not liking it or using it more than once. (Looking at you, Szechuan peppercorns.)

Speaking of tahini, I just realized I left mine behind in a move. Probably just as well, as it takes me forever to go through a jar, and I'd opened it prior to that move.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This (meal kits) is one thing that I don't think works that way. Meal kits can IMO help people discover new foods, prep methods, or flavor profiles they like, and expand their eating horizons; or help them understand how to put together a healthier, more calorie-appropriate meal (if they pick the right service).

It's not like the "drink meal replacement shakes" idea. Generally, these are real meals that the person cooks (mostly from scratch) in their own home, just some of the prep done, and with detailed directions.
    I actually have a former client that eats nothing but Nutisystem meals (single and is a total introvert and works from home) that has maintained their weight for 4 years now.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I actually have a former client that eats nothing but Nutisystem meals (single and is a total introvert and works from home) that has maintained their weight for 4 years now.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sure. I agree with one aspect of your previous remark: If a person can keep up a thing, and that thing helps them manage calories/nutrition, that can lead to successful maintenance. (I can even see how Nutrisystem meals could be that for some people.)

The reverse isn't necessarily true, though, because details matter: Even if someone can't stick with a thing forever, but it builds the skills/confidence toward new long-term livable habits, then that can also lead to successful maintenance. I think meal kits fall into that category: Potentially more of a learning tool, rather than a dead end that locks one into "do it forever" or "probably fail".

A few people can stick with meal replacement shakes forever, but I think that'd be statistically unusual . . . though I admittedly don't have statistics for it.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's individual. I have tried a few different meal kits and I'm too picky to follow the recipe. So I ended up just using the individual ingredients which negated the point of getting the meal kit. It was more expensive for me considering I was just using the ingredients separately.

However, it did help open my eyes to some new foods that I would have never bought because I just never thought of buying them- like faro, barley, eggplant, kale, butternut squash, mushroom caps. But because the box delivered them, I had to go online (or follow the recipe) and learn how to make them. Some of these things I found I really like and would buy again. Others, I'm glad I tried but I wouldn't go and buy a whole bag of faro. It also opened my eyes to mixing different flavors that I would have never thought go together.

But, my overall view on them is they aren't for me but they might be for you and if so, buy them and do you. I know some people who love to cook but hate to prep. Or like to cook but don't keep a lot of ingredients in their home. Or, like to cook but travel a lot so they don't have regular amounts of food in their home. The meal kit will provide dinner for the 3 days they are home and then they're back on the road and nothing is rotting in their fridge. Same thing with people who are single and don't want an entire head of cabbage and a carton of mushrooms, whole onion, bag of carrots and a lb of turkey and ton of garlic, spices, etc etc to just make 1 soup for themselves.

There are far worse options out there. Happy cooking!