Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,973 Member
    @stevembakes

Share some of your favorites!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,317 Member
    Hey Produce fam!

Saw this really pretty bulb of purple kale at market.. realized I’ve never actually seen the root before. Do you personally eat it? I suppose it would be a waste not to… I’m going to try it!

🥬 🤗

74h1epj9qsf1.jpeg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    I love veggies. Lol, but almost all of them are cooked Asian style so hella MSG, fish sauce and soy sauce.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,788 Member
    @SafariGalNYC, I admit I didn't Google around to confirm, but that sure as heck looks like a purple kohlrabi to me, rather than kale. Possible it's mis-identified? If kohlrabi, the bulb is the main thing to eat, don't know if leaves are edible (but would guess they are). Kohlrabi's skin can be a little tougher/more fibrous than the bulb underneath. You can eat the skin, but if it's non pleasant, peeling them is easy. I usually eat them raw, but they doubtless can be cooked, too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    None of those veg are lined up with the proper information. Yep, that's a purple kohlrabi.
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited July 2023
    Ahhhhhh thanks @AnnPT77 & @neanderthin ! I was wondering why I had never seen that on kale.. haha

☺️

So much for market labeling. Lol. 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,874 Member
    Roast Belgian Endive. Gets less scorched in the oven as opposed to the air fryer but its too hot to turn on the oven.

wzyha34703at.jpeg
  • acpgee
    I made Chinese turnip cake again on the weekend. This time I added too much water to the grated turnip/rice flour mixture so that it was too soft to slice neatly before pan frying. Also on salty side this time, so no soy or other dipping sauce was needed.
    z8ylrfv5saia.jpeg

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    @acpgee - absolutely love Daikon. I've only had it raw - I'll have to try this one day🙂
  • acpgee
    @PAPYRUS3
    https://cooksimply.co.uk/turnip-cake-recipe-lo-bak-go/

I use a loaf tin sized plastic take away container, brushed with oil. Instead of steaming I cook in the microwave 20-25 minutes on low to medium, until a toothpick prod comes out clean. Be careful not to scorch the bottom if cooking in the microwave which makes it hard to slice once cool.
  • acpgee
    Still experimenting with how to cook globe artichokes for six people. I promised to cook artichokes for some colleagues and their partners before the end of the season and still trying to figure out how to do six artichokes simultaneously. Tonight's experiment with the sous vide wand was a failure. After 1.5 hours at 85C I still needed pop them back in the microwave because they were way underdone. At least the hollandaise sauce was good tonight.
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 161 Member
    Saw the title and just want to say I love this time of year. I live in Pa Dutch country and this week the produce started coming in. I have harvested a few tomatoes and eggplant already. Because of the very dry spring the corn was late but oh so sweet. We have "coffee can" stands where the farmers pick their veggies and put them out for sale, if no one is around you just put your money in the coffee can or cigar box, if you need change sometimes you can make it, sometimes you can't. We have one farm that always grows unusual things for fun so I have ramps and purslane, lots of different colored eggplant, okra and kohlirabi. Problem is I'm so spoiled that I do tend to eat seasonally so get tired of squash in the winter.
  • mtaratoot
    acpgee wrote: »
    Still experimenting with how to cook globe artichokes for six people. I promised to cook artichokes for some colleagues and their partners before the end of the season and still trying to figure out how to do six artichokes simultaneously. Tonight's experiment with the sous vide wand was a failure. After 1.5 hours at 85C I still needed pop them back in the microwave because they were way underdone. At least the hollandaise sauce was good tonight.
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

Steam them in a large stock pot. Load them upside down and let 'em steam. Check the water from time to time to make sure it doesn't run out. Easy peasy.
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited July 2023
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

They look like pretty lil edible flowers 🌸 ☺️

Ps - every time I make Roman style artichokes, half the time they are great.. the other half I end up with a wilty soggy mess. Artichokes are my culinary nemesis I! I feel ya!
  • acpgee
    @SafariGalNYC
    Wow Roman artichcokes is something I never attempted because it sounds so complicated. I only eat it at restaurants when I get the chance.

@mtaratoot
    I don't have big enough cooking vessels to steam 6 artichokes and don't have room to store any more pots and pans in my kitchen. Hence the experiments with alternative cooking methods.
  • mtaratoot
    @SafariGalNYC
    Wow Roman artichcokes is something I never attempted because it sounds so complicated. I only eat it at restaurants when I get the chance.

@mtaratoot
    I don't have big enough cooking vessels to steam 6 artichokes and don't have room to store any more pots and pans in my kitchen. Hence the experiments with alternative cooking methods.

I bet you could borrow a pot for one night. It doesn't take that big a pot to fit six artichokes. I have a canning pot that probably could hold 18 or 20. My normal Dutch Oven would only hold four though. But I have another pot that could cook two, so I could use two pots to easily cook six without getting out the big pots.
  • acpgee
    Salad with halved grapes (better for slippery sweet mouth feel), crumbles of St Augur, croutons for crunch, and ranch.
    d79w8334x1ir.jpeg