Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Time-Restricted Eating - Early Shift

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
Seems 99% of IF people say the are Late Shift TRE.

I have yet to see a poster who is trying TRE, likes it, is going to continue on with it, and follows an early shift.

The 99% will respond with "I would but," "I just can't," "My astrologer told me," etc.

Where are my happy, successful, early shift TRE people?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    My Dad basically does that. He often eats dinner at, say, 4, and then doesn't eat again till 7 or 8 am. I think it's just kind of the way he likes to eat.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    He often eats dinner at, say, 4, and then doesn't eat again till 7 or 8 am.

Thanks.

The million dollar question is, is he fit, no metabolic syndrome, healthy weight, sleeps well, AND generally happy?
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am here! I stop eating between 3:30 and 4pm and start between 9 and 10am. I do a fasted workout around 4:30am.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    He often eats dinner at, say, 4, and then doesn't eat again till 7 or 8 am.

Thanks.

The million dollar question is, is he fit, no metabolic syndrome, healthy weight, sleeps well, AND generally happy?

Yes, all of the above. Except he doesn't sleep as much as he'd like. But that's unrelated to how he eats.
  • chris_in_cal
    edited August 2023
    Options
    But that's unrelated to how he eats.

Sorry your father isn't sleeping well.

I listened to Dr. Donn Posner yesterday on the 10% Happier podcast. He's an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine, studying sleep. It's a good listen.

While not giving clinical advice he was speaking in generalities around sleep. Speaking about the eating window and the sleeping window is what got me to post this thread.

My main take away from him: a lot of people sleep pretty well, and are generally with good energy....and they shouldn't mess with a good thing.... whether early bird, night owl, 9 hour sleep or 6 hours sleep.

But some people struggle and their are tips to be better rested.

Lastly, some chronic suffers need clinical help.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    But that's unrelated to how he eats.

Sorry your father isn't sleeping well.

I listened to Dr. Donn Posner yesterday on the 10% Happier podcast. He's an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine, studying sleep. It's a good listen.

While not giving clinical advice he was speaking in generalities around sleep. Speaking about the eating window and the sleeping window is what got me to post this thread.

My main take away from him: a lot of people sleep pretty well, and are generally with good energy....and they shouldn't mess with a good thing.... whether early bird, night owl, 9 hour sleep or 6 hours sleep.

But some people struggle and their are tips to be better rested.

Lastly, some chronic suffers need clinical help.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I’ve found I sleep my best eating early in day and fasting through the evening -> night. Makes me also get up early because I’m looking forward to breakfast. ;)

The eating window I feel best on is 8-4.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    ebonyroche wrote: »
    I am here! I stop eating between 3:30 and 4pm and start between 9 and 10am. I do a fasted workout around 4:30am.

Wow, you are a BOSS... 4:30 a.m. workouts.
    We can shift our eating window, and our sleeping window, you've done both!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I hope more people respond, this is really intriguing. Previously if I fasted too early I struggled with sleep, let’s say I was doing 5/2 at the time where I’d allow a 400 cal “meal”. I think that window was sometime between 12-5pm. Now I’m omad and will eat that meal anytime between 3-8pm. I still struggle sleeping but I don’t think it’s from IF anymore.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don’t IF, but I usually skip dinner at least 2 nights a week, sometimes more. If nothing sounds good and I’m not physically hungry, I just don’t bother. That makes my last meal by 2pm, but usually earlier and breakfast around 8. I notice no difference in my sleep either way. I’ve eaten this way for years and find it an easy and natural way to schedule my eating.
  • TheOlderTheBetter
    TheOlderTheBetter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The problem is that it's challenging to fast through the evening if you're the main family cook. When I get a chance to have an evening on my own I like to eat early.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Seems 99% of IF people say the are Late Shift TRE.

I have yet to see a poster who is trying TRE, likes it, is going to continue on with it, and follows an early shift.

The 99% will respond with "I would but," "I just can't," "My astrologer told me," etc.

Where are my happy, successful, early shift TRE people?

I am not sure what you mean by "late shift" and "early shift". My eating preference is to stop eating about 6-7:30PM and not eat again until around 1PM the next day. That works for me. I know of people who have their eating window close in the morning hours or early afternoon, then don't eat again until the next morning. My thought is it has to do with personal preference and lifestyle. While I have heard there is a possible slight benefit to the eating window being in the morning rather than later in the day, as far as I know it was only one study. Until it is replicated at least once more, preferably more than once, I will stick with saying follow the pattern that fits for you personally.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I am not sure what you mean by "late shift" and "early shift". My eating preference is to stop eating about 6-7:30PM and not eat again until around 1PM the next day.

It's a term of art.....waiting until 1:00 p.m. to eat is definitely the late shift.

I agree preference for a choice of eating window matters.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I stop eating after dinner. We eat around 4 or 5 in the evening. I resume calorie consumption the next day in the am after about 14 hr fast.. I don’t eat food for a few hours later but technically my fast ends when I drink my am coffee as it contains calories.. I’ve been doing this for many yrs now. Having dinner early and closing the kitchen has allowed me to stop night time snacking. I’ve always been the type to skip breakfast or eat later in the day but now my eating window is smaller. Doctor recommended 👍
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    As a night owl, I live my life on the late shift lol. This includes IF (window is 4 pm to 10 pm).

I have gotten flack over the years for my preferred sleep routine, which is to go to bed 4-6 am and wake up between 11-2. I forced myself to be an early bird when my kids were young but anytime I could take a break from that I slipped back into old habits without effort. Since my kids were grown I stopped trying to be the early bird.

So a dr once said that as long as you're getting enough sleep, it doesn't matter when you do your sleeping. It's okay to listen to your body.

I kind of think IF is the same... doesn't matter when your window is, as long as you're sticking to it.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    So a dr once said that as long as you're getting enough sleep, it doesn't matter when you do your sleeping. It's okay to listen to your body.

I listened to a Sleep Professor recently and he was saying the same thing. The light and dark are important...but most people get the sleep they need, regardless of their own schedule.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I listened to a Sleep Professor recently and he was saying the same thing. The light and dark are important...but most people get the sleep they need, regardless of their own schedule.

True about the light & dark! I had concerns about that too but seems you only need about 10-20 minutes of that daylight on first awakening, and I wake up early enough to get that. And there are black-out curtains, sleep masks, etc. to darken the room. Those hormonal/body chemical cycles are so important, people on like 3rd shift who aren't careful can suffer from a whole host of problems, especially if they're fighting their body's natural day/night cycle.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    Not that it should matter, but I am 52yrs. hypothyroid, 5'1" and 108#

I have a pre-workout around 5am,
    workout 6-7am
    an apple around 8:30am
    I'm experimenting with a 300 cal protein centered meal at 10 am
    I have another balanced meal at 1pm
    I'm experimenting with a 150cal protein centered 4pm meal
    and we eat a dinner at 6:30-7pm.

Typically just water 7pm - 8:30am. SO...that's about 12-13 hours.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 11
    Options
    I just don’t feel hunger until about 4pm, and usually eat at about 6pm, done by 8pm. It used to be unusual, but now IF/OMAD is trendy, people ‘admire’ my ‘discipline’ (instead of nagging me to eat).

When I am on a skiing holiday and need the energy, I do eat 3-square (eating breakfast is still a real chore!): on returning to normal life it takes me a few days to reset and I just feel hungry ALL day - so personally I couldn’t/wouldn’t swap to ‘early shift’.

(Edit to add: I drink coffee with a splash of milk, no sugar, during the day - some would consider the milk as ‘breaking’ my ‘fast’.)
  • OllyBooBoo
    OllyBooBoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Early shift here! The last two nights I finished dinner by 5:30. I like to wake up early and be in bed early so this works for me. I'll eat breakfast around 9:30-10am. When I don't IF, my snacking is out of control.