Have hit a plateau

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently restarted my weight lose journey after starting a new job a couple months ago. Been doing well but seem to have hit a plateau and have really slowed down.

Looking for some advice on getting over this slow down. Also active friends to keep me on the straight and narrow. My goal is 280lbs or less by Dec 31 2023. Was 340ish before starting work currently at 304lbs.

My plan at the moment is to better track my eating, up my water intake and start adding some body weight exercise with some jump rope.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan, good job so far. Cheers.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,200 Member
    Options
    Have you taken into account that a smaller body needs fewer calories? If you're still eating at the same level as at the start of your weight loss, that would explain your weight loss slowing down.

In MFP you need to go through your goal setup again regularly as you lose weight, to get an updated calorie goal.
  • Farnorthfarmer
    Farnorthfarmer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That had not occurred to me but makes sense. I thought it would update automatically as I lost weight! I will redo my goals and see what it tells me. Thanks for the pointer.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request - we can help cheer each other on!

I'm restarting too, so I don't have much great advise for ya. Only thing I'd offer is that I definitely find it best to track food by weight, so if you haven't already tried a food scale, maybe grab a cheap one? It may not be for everyone but it's so easy to "eyeball" serving sizes only to never realize you're actually eating over the serving size. If you already have been using a scale, try your best to continue to aim for accuracy with your food tracking. I try to log food while I'm preparing it so I don't forget!

Sounds like you've been doing very well so far, just hitting this plateau. Keep at it!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    That had not occurred to me but makes sense. I thought it would update automatically as I lost weight! I will redo my goals and see what it tells me. Thanks for the pointer.

Sometimes it does, but overall it doesn't.
  • Farnorthfarmer
    Farnorthfarmer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just did the new update to my weight and goals and yes it took off 150cal to my daily value. Good to know, will update every 20lbs lost I think, that is where I noticed the drop per week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Cool! so there's an answer. That's about 1/3 of a pound less per week :) But congratulations on your overall weightloss.