Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen
    I've tried making sweet potato fries before and had difficulty getting them crispy as well. Our new oven had the air frying option. I should try making them again in that and see if that makes a difference. I did make yuca fries in the air fryer last week. Those came out very tasty!

I am glad you had a blast at the concert! I love P!nk. Your upcoming plans sound fun! I hope you and your sister have fun and don't get on each others nerves too much!

Thank you. I've been trying to keep the details of my stress off social media. I've been venting on MFP a little bit here and there because it is effecting me greatly. My glucose has been wonky due to it and I have not been sleeping very well either. Naturally I've been seeing some fluctuations in my weight as well. I do have to say, I am handling it a lot better than the old me would have handled it. Everyone keeps telling me that this all will come to an end one day. I sure hope so because right now it really stinks to be in the position that I am in.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    JNettie73
    I’m so sorry you’re having to go through the court system. At least that’s what I’m assuming. I was involved in a court case for a total of seven years. The lawyers really dragged it out. It was very stressful. I don’t know what to say about it. It involved a death . I was not the one that instigated it. The lawyers saw their chance to make money. It as a disaster. All I can tell you is that when it was over, I certainly did not feel any satisfaction or resolution. Nothing I had wanted to happen did happen. I’d never wanted to be a part of it, but at the time was weak, and did what people told me. My young children were involved which made it worse.

People are right when they tell you this will all come to an end. It does, but the painful memories don’t.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    hi everyone… I really tried to sweet potato fries in the air fryer and they turned out so great. You know earlier in the year I wanted to go to Ireland in March for my 50th birthday but I procrastinated didn’t lose the weight I wanted to lose didn’t get my passport in time. So I decided to make it a year of turning 50. At this point, I feel I made the best decision. I’ve had more fun so far this year than I have since my son died and that is 8 years ago now. I just wanna keep having a blast. Minnesota state fair is coming up next week for me. It will be about 12 miles of walking and pigging out. Then the week after that I’m going to Duran Duran at the state fair.
    @JNettie73 - well I believe just like everyone has told you that in due time everything passes. Keep your head up and stay positive as much as possible and I will keep you in my prayers.
  • Shoppie2023
    Shoppie2023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new. I joined 3 weeks ago with exactly 100lbs to lose. I now have 94 - am I still welcome? I thought it would be great to be around others with the same kind of mountain of weight loss to conquer
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new. I joined 3 weeks ago with exactly 100lbs to lose. I now have 94 - am I still welcome? I thought it would be great to be around others with the same kind of mountain of weight loss to conquer

Yes, yes, yes: You are welcome to stop by anytime you want. A lot of us that were on here before, and are still on here now don't have that amount to lose as of today, but we did have that much or more to shed when we started.

good luck and don't ever quit!!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    @Shoppie2023 I’ve had over 100 lbs. to lose. I’ve lost about 35 in the last 5.5 months. I still have at least 75 more to lose. It seems insurmountable at first, but it isn’t.
    MFP has taught me to be patient. It happens slowly for me, but every lb. Lost is a happy, healthy accomplishment to me. People on here are very motivating.🙂
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy
    Yes it will involve having to go through the court system. I have been put in a position where I really don't have any other option but to pursue this action. It is a really sad situation but for the past year and a half I have been doing everything I possibly can to get things worked out "fairly". I put fairly in quotes because the terms I agreed to were not fair to me by any means and only benefitted the other person involved.

@mnwalkingqueen
    I love that you are having the year of 50! From your posts it seems that you are having the time of your life. I love that for you. You deserve all the happiness in the world!

@Shoppie2023
    Of course you are welcome! I've lost 70 lbs and I have roughly 70 more lbs to lose. Stop back from time to time. Share as much or as little as you want.

@Melwillbehealthy
    You are doing fantastic on your journey! I am with you. It seems to be happening very slowly for me now even though I am doing everything right. Though yesterday I went over my calories and today, my weigh in day, I am up 1.5 lbs. I guess I may want to rephrase that. LOL I am not always doing everything right but I keep trying no matter what because I AM WORTH IT!!!!

@nsk1951
    I am glad to see you popping in from time to time. I think about you often.

I had a NSV earlier in the week. During my workouts Gilad leads us in stretches. One of the stretches we clasp our hands behind our backs then bend forward bringing our head as close to our knees as possible. While doing so you move your arms back and away from your body. In the past I have been barely able to move my arms at all. Now I notice I am able to stretch my arms back. I was so surprised when I came to this realization and very excited! It is all about being consistent. It was a reminder that even though I don't always feel like I am making progress I really am.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    I think, sometimes I do very impulsive things. Domething builds up and up and then, like a volcano I erupt. I'm thinking about my behavior yesterday; I went on a manic spending spree, of sorts. It's not that what I bought wasn't something I needed because they were things I ought to have gotten many months ago, maybe even before I moved to this senior apartment. But I've been holding off on it and as time went by I became complacent and comfortable without these things. So, what happened this week that caused me to go hog-wild? And why am I not feeling any buyer's remorse over it now? Because, usually after a big expense I do feel worried about if it had been the right decision or not. The volcanic part of it all wasn't that I bought what I did buy, but that I bought it all in one fell swoop instead of my usual habit of one-at-a-time mentality.

Oh well, I think it was something about my sister being diagnosed as being in her last stages and her time now being very limited, and my own uncertain health future. I would image these things would cause me to decide that what I've got is good enough because my own time is short; and yet I overspent without regard. It was sort of a rebellion ... an affirmation that I will have the time to enjoy these new things and the comfort of knowing that if I don't, then my sunset will be more comfortable; and the budget be 'dammed'.

At least I am being responsible and selective in the food I bring into this domicile! Only foods that I can partake of without guilt over my waistline.

Thanks, JNettie for keeping me in your thoughts. I think of you often too, and hope your troubles get settled soon and to your benefit.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    I'm very pleased today. With the new recipe I made up to use up some zucchini and yellow squash. It's a spin-off of one my mom used to make. The vegetables are cut in halve and the seeds removed to leave boats which are then stuffed and baked in a sauce.

When my mom made this dish, it was always with zucchini that had gotten away from her and were long enough to fit lengthwise across a 9x13 casserole. She made the same stuffing mixture as she used for stuffing cabbage or peppers and the same sauce. Her recipe was not written down and we made those stuffed vegetables so often it was easy to remember how to make it from one session to another.

Not so any longer, as it's only me to eat it and it makes a lot of food. But this week I wanted something like it and so when I spotted large plants at the Farmer's Market, I just had to get some. But I didn't remember my mom's recipe any longer so I had to improvise.

My sister happens to have a very good Taco meat recipe that her son sharpened up to make a great tasting mixture and I used that recipe as a springboard for my zucchini stuffing, simply adding in the parboiled medium-grain rice that mom added to her meat stuffings. The sauce I used was a simple jar of purchased marinara pasta sauce.

My dish turned out to be one of the best stuffed vegetable dishes I have made in a very long time. I know it'll be a lot of food, but I plan to put it away in portions to reheat when I am recovering from the surgery I will soon have.

Yes .. I have finally found out which type I will have. The MRI I had this past week cleared it up and now I am just waiting for the doctor to get it schedule.
  • nas1510
    nas1510 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello 👋
    Tomorrow marks one week into my 61 week mission to lose 90lbs.
    I’ve finally realised that, for me, the only way to deal with my obesity is to have a long-term, steady approach. I’m just starting to check out these boards and posts for inspiration 🤗
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @nsk1951
    Thank you. I am in the process of hiring a new lawyer. Within a week or so things will start back up again. The lawyer I am hiring says this can take 6-9 months depending on the courts. :(

I make zucchini boats too. I stuff mine with vegetables and bread crumbs/ stuffing or I do a grain such as rice, quinoa, barley. They make such a great meal. I am glad it turned out really well for you. I love when recipes work like that!

Please update us when you have a date for your surgery.

@nas1510
    Welcome! Happy week 1!!! I agree having a long-term steady approach helps tremendously. Remember if you have an off day to forgive yourself and try again the next day. Be sure to check in from time to time and share as much or as little as you want.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @nas1510 ... Welcome aboard the SlimDown lifestyle. Today marks your 1 week milestone. You may not spot this thread again, or maybe you will .. if you do, maybe the information in a recent AARP article I read will help you with the following tips on on ways to curb sugar cravings. ... And of course, I have no idea if sugar cravings are a downfall for you like they have been for me ... but here goes:

1.East a protein-packed breakfast (meaning the first meal you are consuming on any day, no matter what time of day that meal comes into your plan) ... Because foods that are high in sugar or carbs spike insulin levels and you will find yourself in a craving for a next fix within an hour or two otherwise.
    2. Improve your sleep ... Not only because poor sleep can affect your brain's 'reward center' (actually a hormonal thingy) and make you really attracted to sugary food; but also because sleep deprivation suppresses signals of fullness. Aim for 7-8 hours of solid sleep a night.
    3. Pinpoint your Sugar Pitfalls ... Because oftentimes, having a craving for something sweet or carby has nothing to do with hunger and everything to do with a mental state of mind ... anxiety, loneliness, boredom and other moods can often result in wanting to gobble, gobble, gobble. (that was me!) Try some other method of soothing your soul. "Give yourself a moment to really think about what is driving your cravings." (it could be just a habit, or a signal cue from something you see on TV). ... "Once you have identified your triggers, make a list of alternate ways to handle those feelings. ... Post the list where you will see it next time the (cravings) are calling your name."
    4. Remove Temptation ... Because sometimes (like for me) if it's in the house and the craving hits, it's so very hard to stay away from it, and it's all to easy to think I can handle it this time by having just a little bit. ... This is a hard one when you have other family members living and eating with you because they may not have your issue with those tempting foods. In that case, try putting them out of sight and out of reach might help. ... AFM, the only sure way to not give in is to not have it in the house at all; however I have found that I am perfectly fine with having a normal portion of it and not having any cravings when I have it outside the home and don't bring any of it in. ... so I go out for that ice cream cone, and enjoy that pastry at a coffee shop once in a while or at a party. ... And I have a friend who was able to manage her cravings by buying pre-portioned ones for herself and keeping them in a different place than the ones she purchased for the rest of the family.
    5. Eat a small portion and savor each bite ... If you can do this, more power to you! "This strategy works well if you choose something rich and decadent like cheesecake or chocolate truffle" (not for me, sadly)
    6. Consider a healthy substitute ... Consider choosing a food that's naturally sweet, such as a banana, berries or grapes. To make the fruit taste even sweeter, try freezing it. (this works for me) Also, a naturally sweet hot tea, like cinnamon, peppermint or a fruit flavor may also do the trick.
    7. Count to 25 ... "When Rush University researches rigged a vending machine to build in a 25-second delay when someone chose an 'unhealthy' item, people often switched to a healthy option." Humans prefer immediate gratification ... so stopping for just a few breaths might make all the difference.
    8. Or wait even longer ... "If 25-seconds isn't cutting it, try a 10-inute delay - and promise yourself that you can have that snack after that break" Tip: Don't say "I'm not gong to eat that.", instead say "If I still want it in 10 minutes, I'll have some." Then distract yourself in some way for that time.
    9. Try 'urge surfing' ... This is a mindfulness technique that involves recognizing a craving, accepting it and then riding it out without giving into it. "This technique was first used to help drug and alcohol addicts, and research shows it's an effective way to resist a craving." ... (I use this also, cause often if I do give in I won't be able to stop with just a little bit, but if I wait I end up not wanting it after all)
    10. Give it a month ... "IF there's a food you simply cant resist, commit to cutting it out of your diet completely for just a month. The first week or two will be difficult, but if you can last for a month then your cravings for the food should drop significantly.

Good luck. I hope these tips help with whatever is driving you to overeat on whatever it is you are overeating that has caused you to gain the extra weight. And know this ... it didn't pile on in a little bit of time, but a little bit over a long period of time; and that's probably the best way to get it off as well.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    Nice to see some new people have joined the group welcome🙌🏻🙌🏻 I love to give the high five emoji sorry😉
    @nsk1951- I’m glad to see you posting again. So you’re spending spree you’re allowed to do that with all you’re going through. And it’s OK not to have any remorse or worry about what if I didn’t or because I did. I’m sorry about your sister’s diagnosis. Hearing you talk about your boat meal sounds so good. I get like that sometimes my dad always love to have cream tuna, over toast or biscuits and there are times where I make it just because it reminds me of my dad. Best wishes on your MRI.
    I thought I’d be brave and try to join back in the dating world and I’ve worked on myself so much lately. Wow can I say that it hasn’t changed in seven years? If anything is gotten worse. I’m proud of myself. I didn’t eat a lot at the state fair however, I did have four beers, but only 12 ounce beers. I weighed the same prior to the State. Fair and I waited three days after to weigh myself, and I still weighed the same. However, I still have round two and three to go, but I know how to control myself. Part of it is when I’m having fun I don’t really get hungry. I’m trying to only eat when I’m hungry not hangry but hungry.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen ... I'd love to know how you make your dad's cream tuna cause I've never done that with tuna and think I'd like it. Can you share it? ... The world of DATING ... I wonder if we ever truly get past the stage where we want to try it, again. We all crave companionship and dating is a way of looking for it ... but how you find the date is what always stumped me. I'm not one to try online connections and never seem to generate much interest in myself toward guys I meet. Maybe I AM past that stage? Hope you find some good company in your attempts.

I finally have a surgery date ... Sept 25th. My son surprised me the other day by sending me an itinerary for a flight to here from there and back so he can be with me for the surgery and a couple of days after. That was totally not expected. I hope nothing goes awry between now and then so I can finally get this treatment started.
    In the meantime, I am going to spend the rest of the time waiting for it by getting some affairs in order and doing some housework to reduce stored items that can be thinned out. I have a file cabinet full of stuff that needs to be shredded so that will be a good place to start.
    As for my weight control, I'm still not actively attempting to lose weight. My appetite is down and I've been careful to keep nutritionally sound stuff in the house, but have let myself have some of that 'dreaded' treat-type stuff in here and there. My weight is slowly coming down and I don't know if the cancer has something to do with it or if it's just that I am eating less food overall because my appetite is lower (and if that is because of the cancer or not). My weight is now back to where it was on January 1 0f this year, before I had a weight gain that I had been trying to reduce before my diagnosis.
    Keep to it everyone! The autumnal season is upon us and the cooler weather we will have for a while before cold sets in is a great time to start a fitness program to build upon. I'm going to attempt some steady-state physical activity to hopefully improve my walking capabilities.

• Shoppie2023
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

Things have continued to go well for me, I lost another 2 lbs this week taking me to a total of 13 lbs in 5 weeks. I really want to lose that last pesky pound to take me to a whole stone lost. It's going to be hard this week and I'm only really hoping for a maintain as this weekend I am with my brothers and our whole time together revolves around food and booze. I'll just do my absolute best with the rest of the week and see what happens.

@nsk1951 I'm so sorry to read about your cancer and surgery. Sounds like you are working really hard, I'm sure you can beat it

@mnwalkingqueen Good luck out there with dating! I'm literally just in the process of getting a divorce and I already recognise that desire to have somebody to share your life with, so I can empathise.

@nas1510 Welcome! As you may have seen I'm new too - this is only my second post in this thread!

@JNettie73 Well done on a great NSV!

So for me having started with 100lbs exactly to lose, I'm now down to 87 to lose. It's progress!!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Happy September!
    This is going to be my "play it by ear" month. I am not making any goals for myself aside from staying on plan with eating. Last week I injured my ribs on a hike. I jumped onto a wall to peek into the water to see a snapping turtle. When I did I felt pop pop pop in my ribs followed by intense pain. I am unsure if I broke my ribs or just badly bruised them. I am leaning towards bruised them. I have not been to the doctor and probably won't go. I do have some discomfort but it is not anything that requires me to take meds for. If the pain was worse I would definitely go. I have noticed that some days I feel great then I get hit with a day like yesterday where I am just uncomfortable regardless of what I do. I've been doing a lot of resting and icing. I have put structured exercise on the back burner for now until I am completely back to myself. I have discovered that I can tolerate hiking/walking. I plan on doing that on days I am feeling up to it and when the weather is cooperating.

@mnwalkingqueen
    Your state fair sounds like a lot of fun.
    I hope the dating world treats you well!

@nsk1951
    What a wonderful surprise from your son. I am so happy to hear that he will be spending some time with you for your surgery.

@Shoppie2023
    It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. I am happy for you!

• shenwjames1972
    shenwjames1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all, looking for friends to keep my accountable and to engage with day to day. Not able to add friends for some reason so fee free to add me 😊
  • droothompson
    droothompson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    329 lbs after my first week on MFP. I"ve had a severe umbilical hernia for 12 years with essentially a 'refusal to repair' from the provincial health system, until I got under 200 lbs. Of course, I've gained about 8 lbs a year for 12 years, instead of getting under 200 -- I know how much diet matters, but not being able to effectively exercise also does a number on your mood. (and it turns out I eat emotionally. ).

Well.. my hernia finally tore itself into a very large (bigger than I could cover with both hands) , incarcerated, strangulated disaster requiring emergency surgery in June, and 8 weeks of 'don't lift more than 4 lbs) after that. .....

You can believe by the end of August I was revved up and raring to go.
    (Also that I have NO upper body strength and no endurance left).

My legs are *plenty* strong. I don't need growth in my legs, just maintenance workouts. Chest, shoulders, back, abs, arms - ugh. 98-lb weakling underneath it all....

I used to work out .. in 2003 I was 208 lbs and almost had abs. Sooo.. I mostly know what to do - just a little more gently on the joints, since I"m 52 now.

I"m resurrecting my old BFL workout plan, and eating 5 times a day around 350ca/each. Lost a ton of water in week 1, about 12 lbs worth .. and 3.5 lbs in week two, which I"m assuming (hoping?) is mostly fat.
    229 this morning.

129 lbs to go. Looking for people to comment with, cheer each other on, motivate it each other, help keep accountable.

I have to stop now because today was arm day and I can't hold my hands up to the keyboard anymore.....
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Hello everyone. Just dropping by to say hi and that I am still here.
    Counting down the days till my surgery and slowly getting back in the groove of recording my food intakes. Weight has remained steady and constant, and that's OK with me for now. I'm not trying to be in a deficit, just trying to eat healthily to maintain my strength for what's up ahead.
  • Shoppie2023
    Options
    Hi everyone how are things going for you?
    @shenwjames1972 I have tried to add you but just get page not found :-(
    @droothompson I'm so sorry to hear about your hernia, that sounds awful. Very best of luck with your journey to get back in shape. You're welcome to add me as a friend. I have tried with a couple of people this morning but just get page not found. I'm going to try and send a message to support after this.

Things are going ok here. I worked REALLY hard last week and lost one pound. I'm trying my best to remember that it's the correct direction, that it takes me to a stone lost in total etc etc, but it is hard when you still have so far to go (86 and counting). I know I need to break it down and I have (next goals are 20 and then 26, which is 10% of my start weight), but my brain keeps coming back to the overall mission!

I have started getting up at 545 so that I can go for a walk before work. It is EARLY. But I do enjoy it and feel better when I get home for it. The walks will get tougher though as the days draw in for autumn and I therefore have to stick to the roads instead of my current scenic walk to a lake. I'm determined to keep going though.

Onwards and downwards!