Waiving the white flag

Options
I give up. I've come to accept that I just hate chicken breast. I'm fine with lean beef. I'll even eat more fish. But I just cannot do chicken breast anymore.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    No food is mandatory for Fatloss or any other goal as far as body composition
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten chicken since 1974 (at least not intentionally!) . . . or beef, or fish. I lost weight fine (and yes, I get plenty of protein). No particular food is essential for weight loss.

Sure, chicken is a calorie-efficient protein source. So are quite a few other things. If you like the others better, definitely eat those instead of chicken. Life is too short to eat unenjoyable food, IMO.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    The low fat era, which is still alive and well has certainly encouraged a fat phobia mentality and created a big increase in chicken consumption over the last 30 or 40 years with beef down about 35% and chicken up over 300% and mostly skinless chicken breast, so I can empathize for sure. I'm low carb and consume a lot of chicken but it's probably been decades since I bought just chicken breast and I probably never will. Normally I buy whole chicken which does come with skin and other fat deposits. Of course chicken wings and legs are available but generally with skin but you can buy legs and thighs without the skin, maybe try those if the slight increase in fat isn't a deterrent. cheers
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Then eat chicken thighs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's going to have to be my plan because I simply cannot do it.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    The low fat era, which is still alive and well has certainly encouraged a fat phobia mentality and created a big increase in chicken consumption over the last 30 or 40 years with beef down about 35% and chicken up over 300% and mostly skinless chicken breast, so I can empathize for sure. I'm low carb and consume a lot of chicken but it's probably been decades since I bought just chicken breast and I probably never will. Normally I buy whole chicken which does come with skin and other fat deposits. Of course chicken wings and legs are available but generally with skin but you can buy legs and thighs without the skin, maybe try those if the slight increase in fat isn't a deterrent. cheers

I think I'll take that route. I'll buy other chicken parts and stick to beef and fish and shrimp.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I haven't eaten chicken since 1974 (at least not intentionally!) . . . or beef, or fish. I lost weight fine (and yes, I get plenty of protein). No particular food is essential for weight loss.

Sure, chicken is a calorie-efficient protein source. So are quite a few other things. If you like the others better, definitely eat those instead of chicken. Life is too short to eat unenjoyable food, IMO.

So what do you eat ?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I think I'll take that route. I'll buy other chicken parts and stick to beef and fish and shrimp.

I eat a lot of protein and one thing I done for donkeys years is take the skin off whole chicken make a flavourful poaching liquid with herbs and veg and poach (not boil) a whole chicken or 2 then after they're cool enough to handle I take all the meat off the bones and use it in different dishes, some for breakfast in a frittata or omelets, sandwiches, pastas, pizza, casseroles, curries etc and the chicken broth is pretty tasty and makes good soup and I always freeze some broth and use for different sauces. Cheers.

ETA: actually I leave the skin on and remove after it's poached then refrigerate overnight and the fat rises to the top and hardens and is removed easily or used as schmaltz, love schmaltz lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    20 years ago, I spent three years in vegetarian yoga centers and to this day I will not eat tofu or oatmeal, and I'm fine with that.

However, I am curious as to how you were cooking your chicken breast, because there are plenty of terrible ways to do that. I fully support you moving on as long as you weren't inadvertently making shoe leather :smiley: I say the same thing to people who "don't like vegetables" - try cooking them differently.

I do like the flavor of chicken thighs better the first day they are cooked, but think breast holds up better as a leftover.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So what do you eat ?

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, have been for 49+ years. My main protein sources are dairy foods (no added sugar), traditional soy foods like tempeh and tofu, other legumes, very occasional eggs, small amounts of nuts/seeds/grains, . . . . etc.

I'm not suggesting you should become vegetarian.

It doesn't cause weight loss, it isn't IMO healthier than eating omnivorously.

All I'm saying is that reasonable health and nutrition is attainable entirely without chicken, and even without other meat/fish. You should be fine eating meats or fish/seafood that you enjoy.
  • MambokadziTatenda
    Options
    I feel you. I jazz it up, slice it up and mix it up into a salad. In isolation its bland.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 935 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I read somewhere that there are over 100 varieties of meats … plenty to choose from if chicken breast has become too blah for you.

A few possibilities in the poultry fam: pheasant, duck, goose, ostrich (my fav) , quail, Cornish game hen, emu, turkey..

Red meat: venison, lamb, goat, bison, boar. …

Maybe try something new at the butcher shop? Can be fun experimenting with new finds if you are bored.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    And if you buy high welfare (free range etc) chicken - every bit of it tastes so much better, with much more flavour….it is definitely worth the extra money on taste grounds alone IMO.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    And if you buy high welfare (free range etc) chicken - every bit of it tastes so much better, with much more flavour….it is definitely worth the extra money on taste grounds alone IMO.

Thanks for the tips. I've slowly began making the transition to organic and pasture raised chicken/eggs and grass fed beef. Next will be veggies and fruits. Just want to make sure I'm putting the best quality food in my body
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    I read somewhere that there are over 100 varieties of meats … plenty to choose from if chicken breast has become too blah for you.

A few possibilities in the poultry fam: pheasant, duck, goose, ostrich (my fav) , quail, Cornish game hen, emu, turkey..

Red meat: venison, lamb, goat, bison, boar. …

Maybe try something new at the butcher shop? Can be fun experimenting with new finds if you are bored.

All.good suggestions ! I do love goat and lamb. I'm intrigued by bison and maybe boar. Maybe some Cornish hen.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    I feel you. I jazz it up, slice it up and mix it up into a salad. In isolation its bland.

I'm just about Over It moving to thighs.

One last thing I'll try is a few yogurt based marinades and maybe grill them on the grill. After that. I quit lol

I did dice them up real fine and use a tzatsiki sauce and that was pretty good
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Are you using an instant-read meat thermometer? I used to always overcook chicken to be safe. This works for bone-in, skin-on thighs, but not for boneless, skinless breast.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/chicken-temperature#:~:text=For the best-tasting white,temperature of about 165°.

"... cook the meat to an internal temperature of 160°F. This temperature will continue to rise after removing the chicken from the heat, ideally to a temperature of about 165°.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are you using an instant-read meat thermometer? I used to always overcook chicken to be safe. This works for bone-in, skin-on thighs, but not for boneless, skinless breast.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/chicken-temperature#:~:text=For the best-tasting white,temperature of about 165°.

"... cook the meat to an internal temperature of 160°F. This temperature will continue to rise after removing the chicken from the heat, ideally to a temperature of about 165°.

I probably overcook mine a bit to be safe as well. I have a thermometer that maybe I should use a bit more.

Buy even restaurant quality chicken breast prepared by someone who knows what they are doing is just horrible to me.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    If you don't like chicken breast don't eat it.

Or for now anyway - have it again in future if you like. Or not, if you don't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't remember the last time I had chicken breast. Even on a roasted whole chicken it's the least flavorful and driest and super easy to overcook. My go to meat proteins in order of most consumed are:

- Boneless/skinless chicken thighs
    - Talapia
    - Flank Steak
    - Lean ground beef
    - Salmon
    - Tuna
    - Pork chops/pork tenderloin
    - Chicken wings