What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Gym day yesterday, focused more on arms and core and continuing with my increased weights along with trying some newer exercises like dumbbell flies and seated rows. Tended to avoid things like that when I had tennis elbow but not causing any issues atm.

Today I went to boxing class, first time since July I think. Super hot and the air con wasn't great so really sweated it out but glad I went.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Lifting today! Full body plus arms & chest bodybuilding-style accessory
    • Warmup
    • Front squats- 5 sets of 5
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 3
    • Strict chin-ups- 5 sets of 6
    • EZ-bar preacher curls- 5 sets of 10-11
    • Cable tricep pushdowns- 5 sets of 13-15
    • Incline DB bench press- 3 sets of 10
    • Chest-supported lateral raises- 3 sets of 10
    • Bonus barbell face pulls
    • Side planks- two sets, 20 seconds each side
    This took a long time. Gradually increasing the weight on the main lifts and either weight or reps on the assistance. Very small increases, but moving in the right direction. Squat and bench felt good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k today.

I don't normally post on the forums, but I kind of feel like bragging into the ether.

My dad turned 75 in July, had a hip replacement the day after his birthday, and then started a new cancer treatment last month. And he was determined to run the 5k at our city's big race weekend. He's run the half marathon a handful of times at this event, and then the 10k for a few years (once his hip became too bad to train for the half). Finally he was relegated to the 5k. Last year he wasn't able to participate at all.

Two weeks ago he sent me a photo of his feet in his running shoes and told me it's the first time in a year and a half that he's been able to tie them. (He couldn't bend down because of his hip.) He'd just done a test run of 4k, said it felt good, and that there was still time to register for the event. He asked if I'd do it with him, and I agreed.

Our goal was to finish in under an hour. Although once we got there, he decided that his goal was to win his age group. (He had scoped out the runners at the start line and it was clear that he was the only "old guy" there, so I guess he won.) My goal was just to keep up with my superhuman dad.

We finished in 48:30, and I'm incredibly proud of him. So that was my workout today and it felt pretty darn good.

@sampson2010, that post has so many dimensions of wonderful to it: Thanks for sharing the story, so uplifting!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Probably rowed, probably around 6800m, most likely in bow of the double, eh?

We had a farewell row then pizza outing for a club member who's returning to Australia after being here for a bit over a year.

Bunches of rowing shells out on the water: Only 4 from our club, a quad, double, 2 singles. But the university club team are back in force, and so are the varsity women (with reinvigorated spirit under their new coach). Both of those groups had multiple 8s and some coaching launches out on the water. I didn't get a good count because there were multiple eights rowing different patterns with different coaches, but there were at least 8-10 eights in total. Probably 100+ rowers on the water overall? That's quite a lot, for here.
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    @sampson2010 your father is incredibly inspiring!
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Got up early this morning and went for a short horse ride, we're still on the grip of this weird heatwave so I didn't go far but just wanted to get out there.
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    45 minutes incline treadmill walk this morning. Same again tomorrow, and then lifting on Tuesday.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Officially rest day, but I've joined a team for a community dragon boat racing event next week. We don't have a boat (the organization brings boats), so we had a practice on the rowing club's dock to get some experience synchronizing paddling (using canoe paddles). :D
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Pendlay Rows x Standing Pullovers x Neutral Grip Machine rows done in a superset. 2 sets, reps to failure each time on each exercise.

Next did warmups on squats followed by one superset of Leg extensions immediately followed by squats until I felt my form about to break.

In and out in 30 mins…
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Cool and overcast today, plus as a bonus I had one of my most technically compatible rowing buddies in stroke of the double while I sat bow, so we did an interval workout: Warm-up to the upstream bridge, series of 3 to build/10 power/10-ish moderate strokes to the downstream bridge (around 3400m), cool-down back to the boathouse, adding up to the usual 6800m-ish.

We were clearly rusty on the power pieces (after a period of hot weather and poor air quality leading us to keep it more moderate), but improved along the way. Felt good to do it.
  • RunningGirlKC
    RunningGirlKC Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    🏋🏼‍♀️ - Random Glutes/Legs Dumbell RDL
    - 3x12 Dumbell Sumo Squat
    - 3x12 Kickbacks
    - 3x12 Side Lunge (each)
    - 3x10 Leg Press
    - 3x10 Calf Raises
    - 3x12 Dumbell Hip Thrust - 3x12
    🏃🏼‍♀️ - Indoor Walk Dreadmill - 3.0 speed, 5.0 incline
    😵‍💫- Med Ball Throws (each side) - 3x10, Knee Pushup 3x7
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    They say Lance Armstrong's resting heart rate was in the mid-30's at one point.
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Lifting!
    • Warmup
    • Front squats- 5 sets of 3
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 10 (okay the last one was 8)
    • DB row- 5 sets of 9
    • Barbell split squats- 3 sets of 8
    • Knee extensions- 4 sets of 10
    • Hamstring curls- 4 sets of 10
    • Curl Ups- 3 sets
    Heavy front squats today, felt great. Been back in the gym consistently for three months now, and stepped it up about a month ago, and it feels like it is starting to pay off a bit.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Changed up my chest routine so did a more “volume” day.

3x10 incline barbell press. Newly reintroduced, so took it fairly easy. Did the last set -20 lbs and with a 2 sec pause at the bottom.

3x12 dips. I’m probably around 20ish for a max if I did a set fresh, and I’m pretty happy with that. I’ve been working around a bad shoulder for months and this is probably the first day I’ve been able to do these 6 sets without any pain.

3x15 cable machine flys

3x12 seated skullcrushers x bicep curl supersets.

Got a good beach muscle bro workout in 😂.
  • maggpi7
    maggpi7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine was a leg day! Glute focused...
    - good mornings 95lb
    -single leg rdl 90lb (dumbbell)
    -def deadlift 90lb (dumbbell)
    - goblet squat 70lb
    - 5 rounds then 30 min hitt cardio