What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    I haven't posted in a while --
    I've been taking it much easier and lighter on the daily workout sessions lately after feeling drained and uncharacteristically sore the past several weeks (I hope the source of this "funk" is solely some additional stress following my recent move to a new home).

Anyway, today I didn't do nearly as much as I wish to do -- but it was something:
    another (rapid) session of Team Body Project's Triple Pump.

I am praying and hoping I soon bounce back from this seemingly lengthy energy dip.

Be safe, be kind (especially to yourselves), and power on, y'All
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Rowed 8.3k in bow of the double (little further than usual because of weird course on account of big-wake skiers, and then wanting the singles who were out with us to get in a usual-length row despite our launching first, and being a bit faster, altering course to avoid the power boats. My friends are still hefting the double for me - think I will gratefully accept this for at least another week, then we'll see.

The power boats - even the ones driven by nice people, and not all are nice - don't understand that an 8-10-12" or more wake, to a boat with 4" of freeboard (i.e. inches of boat above the waterline) is a disruption at best, and a safety threat at worst. The nearby start-up, stop, and semi-circular turn wakes are even harder to handle than the ones from buzzing straight by us. Honestly, we try to stay out of the way, row on a different part of the river, if we possibly can. Sometimes we can't: We're slower by far. There were a couple of women out on stand-up paddleboards on the same stretch of river . . . they're even slower, and lower.

End of the day, I went over and supervised open rowing. Not a real workout, just a little meandering and a bit of boat carrying for singles, but it was a major factor in hitting over 2x the step goal I usually ignore. I wandered over to meet Tank, the swimming labrador (women's varsity assistant coach Katie on the other end of his 30' lead); meet Farah, the other assistant women's coach; and to have a long chat and tour of boathouse improvements with the men's (club) team's major patron. Then four of us community club folks went to the neighborhood watering hole/restaurant across the street. Fun evening!
  • septiand30
    septiand30 Posts: 1 Member
    just a 45 minute run and light stretching
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    55 minutes on the bike trainer this am. Short easy trail run planned for tonight.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    My gym buddies have bowed out after a year or so of working out with me. I was bummed and also discovered I don't like going to the gym by myself, so I fell out of the working out habit for about a week. But, this morning I told myself to get up and move, anyway.

I went for a long walk with my dogs, did some stretching, and swam 18 laps around the apartment pool. Tomorrow, I'm dusting off my at-home weight bench and getting back to lifting!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    LenGray wrote: »
    My gym buddies have bowed out after a year or so of working out with me. I was bummed and also discovered I don't like going to the gym by myself, so I fell out of the working out habit for about a week. But, this morning I told myself to get up and move, anyway.

I went for a long walk with my dogs, did some stretching, and swam 18 laps around the apartment pool. Tomorrow, I'm dusting off my at-home weight bench and getting back to lifting!

That's fantastic! Don't ever let anyone else define what you'll be. Way to take charge and stay focused!
  • MikePfirrman
    Wanted to really push the HR today. Lactic Acid training. You do 2 minutes hard, then go slow 1 minute. Repeat for 16 reps. Did 8 on the rower (500m, just over 2 minutes) and then 8 more on the Assault Bike. 1020 calories burned in the hour, at least according to the HRM. Last 13 reps were at least 90% max HR.

Feeling a bit more comfortable at 90%+ max HR, which is key to progression. Lifting tonight at the gym. Won't likely push too, too hard there.
  • Djproulx
    Wanted to really push the HR today. Lactic Acid training. You do 2 minutes hard, then go slow 1 minute. Repeat for 16 reps. Did 8 on the rower (500m, just over 2 minutes) and then 8 more on the Assault Bike. 1020 calories burned in the hour, at least according to the HRM. Last 13 reps were at least 90% max HR.

Feeling a bit more comfortable at 90%+ max HR, which is key to progression. Lifting tonight at the gym. Won't likely push too, too hard there.

That sounds like a very uncomfortable workout, but I'm sure it was very effective. The ability to go hard in the later rounds after a short recovery is a sure indication of superior cardio fitness. The rower and assault bike are perfect torture machines for that workout. Do you ever spice it up with a Tabata routine as part of your fun??
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Morning session with Team Body Project --
    a repeat of Two-Week Transformation (TWT) "No rest Cardio"

I will get through this energy "funk" -- stronger!! I refuse to do otherwise.
  • AnnPT77
    Casual 17.3 mile bike ride, average moving speed 11.5mph. Straight sections are faster, but there are quite a few reduced-visibility bends and small hills that slow me down. Still mostly Z2, minimal Z1, about 1/3 of the time Z3 - so easy.

Came around a corner on the trail, section I don't normally ride, right near a electrical substation of some kind, to find a group of white-tail deer grazing. There were quite a few, but it was a surprise and they started moving when they saw me so I didn't get an accurate count, but it was 6-8 of them, reasonably close to the trail, including at least one fawn still in spots. That's a decent sized group for this time of year, close in to city/commercial areas, for here.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2021
    Djproulx wrote: »

That sounds like a very uncomfortable workout, but I'm sure it was very effective. The ability to go hard in the later rounds after a short recovery is a sure indication of superior cardio fitness. The rower and assault bike are perfect torture machines for that workout. Do you ever spice it up with a Tabata routine as part of your fun??

I actually did that when I didn't have a gym membership. That's actually more brutal to do than separating them. Very, very hard to do sprints on the rower, then a HIIT type lift, rest a minute or two and do over. Wicked hard. Not true Tabata (because it's not quite as intense) but the HR will jump over 85 percent max on the lifting parts and over 90 on the sprints.

On the flip side, I lifted last night for an hour, so my total time working out was doubled. Separating let's me better concentrate on form and really pushing the cardio piece and lffting heavier. I'm beat this morning. Glad I have two easy days as a reward of sorts. Might do recovery pace today.

There's an F45 gym that just opened up near my house. My wife is like, "you don't need to work out more...". But that style of working out suits me a lot better than Planet Fitness. That's exactly what they do. Mix cardio with HIIT for 45 minute classes. Plus, unlike Orange Theory, they use the Concept2 rowers. I'm not a fan, at all, of WaterRowers. Mark Wahlberg is one of the founders/investors.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    After a few intense days, taking it slow today - a 2 mile recovery run at a 11 min pace. Felt good.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    After tweaking my back on Friday, I took the last four days off.

Got back out on the bike this morning, no problems with the back and put in a 16.72 mile ride at a 13.6 mph average.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx wrote: »

I actually did that when I didn't have a gym membership. That's actually more brutal to do than separating them. Very, very hard to do sprints on the rower, then a HIIT type lift, rest a minute or two and do over. Wicked hard. Not true Tabata (because it's not quite as intense) but the HR will jump over 85 percent max on the lifting parts and over 90 on the sprints.

On the flip side, I lifted last night for an hour, so my total time working out was doubled. Separating let's me better concentrate on form and really pushing the cardio piece and lffting heavier. I'm beat this morning. Glad I have two easy days as a reward of sorts. Might do recovery pace today.

There's an F45 gym that just opened up near my house. My wife is like, "you don't need to work out more...". But that style of working out suits me a lot better than Planet Fitness. That's exactly what they do. Mix cardio with HIIT for 45 minute classes. Plus, unlike Orange Theory, they use the Concept2 rowers. I'm not a fan, at all, of WaterRowers. Mark Wahlberg is one of the founders/investors.

I would imagine that you need recovery this morning! While I haven't even tried Tabata work on either device, I know the assault bike used to really take it out of me when my trainer mixed short sprints into my lifting circuits.

The 45min class option is interesting. Some of my best Tabata workouts used to come at the end of a high intensity 45 min group spin session. The power/cadence numbers showed on a big wall mounted screen, so everyone knew who was putting out X or Y wattage. I can't think of anything that was more exhausting than the eight 20 second all out bursts (10s rec.) that occurred during the end of those classes. Felt like the longest 4 minutes of my life, but very effective.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2021
    Easy hour today. 30 minutes on the rower, really slow. Despite that, my HR got to 75% max. So I got off the rower and did another 30 on the LateralX, making sure it didn't exceed 70%.

@djproulx -- I had a Tabata tape workout I did years ago, soon after I lost the weight. It was, if I remember right, 8 rounds of four minute blocks with one or two minutes of rest (additional to the 10 seconds within each block). It was very hard. Things like jump squats, standing broad jumps, pushups, mountain climbers, burpees, etc. I rather enjoyed it in a sadistic kind of way after a while. It will sure challenge you. Not sure I could do that workout now.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Before work:
    Met a friend at the park to workout and watch the sunrise. Ran one lap warm up (0.29 miles) then B/W squats, push ups, tricep dips, OHP, upright rows, lunges, and core work.

Lunch time: 4.81 mile run.
  • AnnPT77
    Rowed twice today, each just under 7k, sat bow both times: Double in the morning, quad in the evening. Still asking others to carry those boats, but helping folks carry the much-lighter singles.

This talk of Tabatas could be triggering. I've done the classic Tabata intervals on the rowing machine (WU, 8 x (20" max effort, 10" easy), then somehow CD). Exhilarating, yet brutal. Yeah, I know, it's only 4 minutes. Heh.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    After getting sidetracked for several weeks by the Dog Days of Summer rowing challenge, combined with home renovations and working full-time at the office for a week, I finally managed to get some strength training in (last session was August 18th).

Aside from my usual exercises, some experimenting with my newest 'toy': a landmine attachment for my power rack. I tried some squats (I struggle with the classic barbell squat for several reasons) - not sure on my form but better than not doing leg exercises at all, I guess.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Morning ride - 18.24 miles, 13.5 mph avg, 83 minutes... another friggin humid morning (80%)... gotta get a wind blowing thru here to clear some of the water out of the air!!

Also did 75 push-ups (25x3) yesterday to throw in some upper body work.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    A 5.5km run today in almost 43 minutes, first proper run since August 19th. I don't know if it's because I needed a break from running or because the intense rowing challenge boosted my cardiovascular fitness, but it felt remarkably easy for not having run that long. I could have gone longer, but my BF would have been grumpy at getting a late dinner 😁