What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Back in the gym today with a new routine 💪 mainly just increasing weights on existing exercises so kept it slightly shorter than normal to see how I went. I usually do 4 exercises to target legs, 4 for core and 4 for arms. Today I went for 3 of each with the heavier weights to ease myself in.

Also 45 minute walk at lunchtime.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Continuing beginner level Stronglifts.

Creatine - I didn’t take this because I’m not going to be an elite weightlifter so didn’t feel any need to supplement. But I read a brief mention that it helps with ATP function and I got to thinking. I have some kind of chronic fatigue, post viral syndrome, and I get post exertion malaise. It can be pretty bad. I decided to give creatine a try.

In about five days I feel like there is a noticeable, significant difference in my fatigue. Not necessarily noticeable workout gains (yet?), but on Saturday I had a day that should have left me completely toasted on Sunday. All the boxes were checked for a fatigue setback - physical exertion, pushing endurance, overheated, no control over when I could eat or rest, dehydrated, travel, all day.

So the next day, I should have curled into a ball and read a book all day, and taken ibuprofen for myalgic pain.

Instead, I did the 5x5 workout I was forced to miss the day before.

And later, was going crazy being cooped up and made arrangements (disability requires such) to take a 2 mile walk.

Damn.
    As you say, creatine seems to have the potential to do quite a few interesting things, including possible neurologic/cognitive benefits. Examine.com has a pretty good article:

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

(NB: They don't sell supplements.)

For example, a friend of mine in her mid-40s has early-onset dementia, though she's still high functioning now. Her neurologist told her to supplement creatine.

Since it also has relatively few potential negative side effects, I supplement it, too. Subjectively, I do seem to recover better than I used to. (If it's a placebo effect, I don't care. ;) If something is safe, and works, I'm not going to agonize about placebo effect.)

Hello, lats - I’ve been doing fine with my rows, almost at novice level weights (I realize deeply unimpressive but will be a real win for my wimpy self). But I don’t feel my lats engaging. I worried I was Doin It Rong and read more about the form. Did some suggested stretches to find the lats… maaaybe? Weirdly, rows hit me in the abs more than anything.

Anyway, while in the car to do the big day exertion Saturday, I suddenly realized out of nowhere I can flex my lats. There they are! Whoo hoo! Mind-muscle connection established!

Squats - I continue to be greviously behind on squats, yet still making progress. My level is “Remedial.” Plan on doing some accessory glute work as I believe I may have the weakest glutes in the history of humankind.

I don't know about you, but for me that area can be a mind-muscle recruitment challenge, too. (I also do squat holds during household wait times, BTW.)
    Still, progress is being made, and I’ve started the habit of sitting on my heels while brushing teeth or waiting for my tea water to boil or whatever, and popping up feels easy as pie now. I think this habit also helps stretch hips and ankles a bit.

The weight on the bar is kind of irrelevant right now, not ready for anything heavy until I can recruit everything the right way. Not there yet, but getting there.

Your progress sounds great: Kudos!

• AnnPT77
    Options
    U.S. Labor Day holiday, rowed as usual.

Well, kinda usual: I was out in a recreational single again (second time this season), though I usually row quads/doubles. We had a bunch of boats on the water this morning, a double and 5 singles - more people wanted to row singles today, so I rowed one, too. Another group from our club had a quad out at the same time.

Some of the folks who usually can only row mornings on Saturdays had the day off, so rowed today, too.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I went to the aquarium, but I could only do one 55-minute dive. My drysuit flooded upon entry. It was "warmer" water in that exhibit: 61 degrees today. I figured I could dive for an hour even wet. There was a gallon of water in each boot when I got done.

I think my long hair got in the way of the neck seal. I had noticed bubbles and thought it was from my BCD. I hopped on the exit platform and had the deck manager check; it seemed fine. She said she saw bubbles coming from underneath.

Pretty soon I knew I was leaking. I almost called the dive, but I was the only one that was authorized to do one particular task, so I just sucked it up. Unfortunately, one of the other divers got called in to work at the hospital, so the one remaining diver didn't get a second dive. Bummer! At least she got to go do a special task and retrieve some things from the pinniped exhibit.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Out of touch over the weekend, out of town visiting a friend. At their request, I brought along some bicycles and spent an afternoon riding with the friend's grandchildren. Some large hills and a skate park were on the route. Afterward, I switched bikes and brought out an old tandem. The kids seemed to have an unending appetite for riding on the back and a couple of the moms tried too. The two biggest kids were able to ride the tandem up front but only one was eventually confident enough to take a passenger. Lots of weight work later as well, picking up kids and being climbed on.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Had to test my left shoulder today. Been working around it bothering me at the bottom of some pressing movements.

first time doing bench in like 3 months (I had been doing a chest press off a machine instead). One working set of each to failure:

Barbell Bench
    Flys
    One arm cable reverse fly
    Cable side raise
    cable front raise
    Seated skullcrusher to failure supersetted with an immediate set of dips to failure.

The dips felt good; got 12 with my triceps wasted and still being like 25 lbs overweight...those had bothered my shoulder as well. I've done these with 90 lbs of extra weight (for 10+ reps) in past, so still humbling a bit as I regain former strength.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    With apologies for going off-topic: @Djproulx, I'm surprised that you're allowed to take firewood to Maine. Here in Michigan, it's illegal to bring it in from some areas out-state, and we're encouraged as private citizens not to transport it over 10 miles from its origin. There's federal law prohibiting transport from Michigan to other states. It has to do with quarantines for some major invasive pests that are devastating certain tree species as they spread. (Commercial producers heat treat to kill the pests . . . at least in theory.)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    With apologies for going off-topic: @Djproulx, I'm surprised that you're allowed to take firewood to Maine. Here in Michigan, it's illegal to bring it in from some areas out-state, and we're encouraged as private citizens not to transport it over 10 miles from its origin. There's federal law prohibiting transport from Michigan to other states. It has to do with quarantines for some major invasive pests that are devastating certain tree species as they spread. (Commercial producers heat treat to kill the pests . . . at least in theory.)

Burn it where you buy it....

Bark beetles. Emerald ash borers. Long-horned beetles. Oh my!

When I stopped at the Agricultural Inspection Station entering California from Nevada in 2015, 2017, and this year on the way home from rafting the Grand Canyon, they asked if we had any firewood. They didn't ask about fruits or vegetables like they do on the way in from Oregon.

• williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Weights today- full body plus extra leg work:
    • Warmup
    • Front squats- 5 sets of 10
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 5
    • Dumbbell row- 5 sets of 8
    • Barbell split squat- 3 sets of 6 each side
    • Machine knee extensions- 3 sets of 9
    • Hamstring curls- 3 sets of 10

Good workout. I've lost a lot of weight but since I started tracking my macros and eating enough protein my pressing strength has been going up nicely. So bench felt great today.

Yesterday did some cardio- 45 minute incline treadmill walk.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 , @mtaratoot : Glad I saw your comments, as it prompted me to research further. I had checked on the campsite's webpage when I booked in the spring (Hermit Island is a private campground on the mid maine coast) and there is no mention of firewood restrictions. I've also had friends advise that while Baxter State Park has posted messages prohibiting imported firewood, other campgrounds made no mention of restriction. But I searched a bit and as you both mentioned, untreated wood is banned. Only acceptable if heat treated. So, thanks for mentioning it.

I've also learned that open water swimming is also discouraged due to a number of white shark sightings and tracker chip pings recorded in the area recently. So I"m leaving the wetsuit at home, too. :)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @Djproulx

I don't know if I'd worry about shark sightings. Sharks are always there. We're not really on the menu.

If you ever get a chance to read Shark Attack by H. David Baldridge, you'll feel safer in the water.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 , @mtaratoot : Glad I saw your comments, as it prompted me to research further. I had checked on the campsite's webpage when I booked in the spring (Hermit Island is a private campground on the mid maine coast) and there is no mention of firewood restrictions. I've also had friends advise that while Baxter State Park has posted messages prohibiting imported firewood, other campgrounds made no mention of restriction. But I searched a bit and as you both mentioned, untreated wood is banned. Only acceptable if heat treated. So, thanks for mentioning it.

I've also learned that open water swimming is also discouraged due to a number of white shark sightings and tracker chip pings recorded in the area recently. So I"m leaving the wetsuit at home, too. :)

Glad to hear you checked further. You didn't seem to be the kind of guy who would move firewood when there was major ecological danger. As far as sharks . . . don't those Maine people have some inland lakes? :D

As a parochial thing, can I recommend a future vacation in Michigan? Thousands of lakes including those, um, "Great" ones - all fresh water and shark free. ;) That, beautiful scenery, and lots of fun outdoor (and indoor) activities. Yeah, those Maine people have better mountains, and ocean tidepools are much more diverse and interesting: I'll give you that.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Djproulx

I don't know if I'd worry about shark sightings. Sharks are always there. We're not really on the menu.

If you ever get a chance to read Shark Attack by H. David Baldridge, you'll feel safer in the water.

I'm not an alarmist, but I know something about these fish. The white shark population has increased in response to growing seal populations in several areas, such as Chatham, Mass (Cape Cod) and mid coast Maine. We are going to Hermit Island in Phippsburg, Me. Hermit Island and nearby Popham Beach State Park have healthy seal populations and are used as release sites for rehabbed marine mammals. Recently (2/3years ago) an open water swimmer was killed by a white shark off Bailey Island, 2 miles from our site. So even knowing that the intended prey are seals (not humans) I still choose not to put on a black wetsuit and swim in open water during August and September in mid coast Maine. I have several friends who are ultra long distance swimmers (Gibraltar to Morocco, Around Key West, etc) but none of them are swimming off Cape Cod or in Maine this time of year.

With that said, I appreciate the Baldridge book suggestion, I'll look for it.

• Djproulx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As a parochial thing, can I recommend a future vacation in Michigan? Thousands of lakes including those, um, "Great" ones - all fresh water and shark free. ;) That, beautiful scenery, and lots of fun outdoor (and indoor) activities. Yeah, those Maine people have better mountains, and ocean tidepools are much more diverse and interesting: I'll give you that.

So many places, so little time, lol. We are pulled in so many directions for travel by family and friends. I'd love to visit Michigan and hope to do that one day.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @Djproulx

I'm not an alarmist, but I know something about these fish. The white shark population has increased in response to growing seal populations in several areas, such as Chatham, Mass (Cape Cod) and mid coast Maine. We are going to Hermit Island in Phippsburg, Me. Hermit Island and nearby Popham Beach State Park have healthy seal populations and are used as release sites for rehabbed marine mammals. Recently (2/3years ago) an open water swimmer was killed by a white shark off Bailey Island, 2 miles from our site. So even knowing that the intended prey are seals (not humans) I still choose not to put on a black wetsuit and swim in open water during August and September in mid coast Maine. I have several friends who are ultra long distance swimmers (Gibraltar to Morocco, Around Key West, etc) but none of them are swimming off Cape Cod or in Maine this time of year.

For sure if you don't go in the water you drastically reduce your risk of a shark bite.

We have fatalities from boats every year. Most involve not wearing a PFD, but not all. I still paddle. We have motor vehicle deaths nearly every day in my state - I get alerts from the state police. I still drive. I am potentially exposed to Aflatoxin any time I eat peanuts or peanut butter, and that could kill me. I get a dose of ionizing radiation any time I get on an airplane. Funny - I still do all these things even though there is some risk involved. You really should look up the Baldridge book. It might help you put the risk of shark bite in perspective. Just because there are lots of sharks, even ones that can kill people, doesn't mean there's much chance of you as one individual from being bitten. I'd be more scared of getting a disease from a tick bite in that part of the country.

• Djproulx
    Options
    @Djproulx

For sure if you don't go in the water you drastically reduce your risk of a shark bite.

We have fatalities from boats every year. Most involve not wearing a PFD, but not all. I still paddle. We have motor vehicle deaths nearly every day in my state - I get alerts from the state police. I still drive. I am potentially exposed to Aflatoxin any time I eat peanuts or peanut butter, and that could kill me. I get a dose of ionizing radiation any time I get on an airplane. Funny - I still do all these things even though there is some risk involved. You really should look up the Baldridge book. It might help you put the risk of shark bite in perspective. Just because there are lots of sharks, even ones that can kill people, doesn't mean there's much chance of you as one individual from being bitten. I'd be more scared of getting a disease from a tick bite in that part of the country.

As a boater who hunts waterfowl in winter both from a canoe and on the open ocean, I understand the risks inherent in specific activities. I still do many of them, including hunting in upland terrain that results in exposure to hundreds of ticks on some days. I choose to take those risks.

Peanut Butter: eat it almost daily. Paddling: Yes, summer and winter. I simply choose not to swim in a black wetsuit in midcoast Maine during September.

Will read Baldridge book.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Will read Baldridge book.

It's actually a very good read irrespective of sharks. It is a good book to help us learn how to think critically and examine whether the data we are looking at is valid. Oh, I wish common sense were more common. There's some real gems in this analysis of Navy data.