Replies

• gains4lif3
    gains4lif3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    30 minute treadmill, alternating 3.0-5.0 mph
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Great rowing conditions this morning, almost no wind and low 50s F. We took out a quad, me in bow.

One of our group has signed up for a local head** race in a couple of weeks and was feeling kind of tentative about the endurance/intensity, so we between that and the nice cool morning, we did a substantially more intense and somewhat longer interval workout. It was warm up; repeats of 3 to build, 10 power (strokes), 10-ish moderate; ending with one run of 20 power; then cool down. About 9.5k, so about 2.5k more than usual distance. Everyone in the boat over age 60, up to 78.

I felt pretty good about the workout: The boat as a whole mostly felt good (good synchronization, minimal slide-rushing, etc.; I didn't have any major steering issues; and I felt like I was getting good suspension during the power intervals. Over 10 minutes (intermittent) in Z4, which is decent for me on water in this format, given a reasonable HR drop during the moderate intervals. It was just what I needed physically, today.

** Head races are a mostly-Fall racing format. Moving staggered start of seeded boats, 10-15 seconds apart, then a long-ish total distance (as compared to Summer sprints' typical 1-2k), timed for competitive rankings within any given boat class. Masters (over age 21) boats usually get an age-based handicap based on average age of the rowers in the boat. This course is about 3.5k long.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd planned to go swimming yesterday, but procrastinated through the day, so it was later in the evening before I got there. Swim trunks weren't in the locker. I didn't think I'd taken them home but went home and checked anyway, no luck. Maybe I left them out somewhere? Back to the pool and asked at the desk if anyone had turned them in. Again, no luck. So I'm getting dressed this morning to go shopping for a new pair and noticed again how my pants have been hanging looser lately from weight loss. I got out an old pair of swim trunks that had gotten too tight some years ago. (Yes, I should throw away more stuff, but ...) They fit! Swimming today for 1750m.
  • gains4lif3
    edited September 2023
    Options
    30 min leg day plus cardio:
    0.4 mile run in 10 mins
    3 sets of squats (assisted) 15 reps each
    3 sets of leg presses 12-15 reps
    3 sets of box squats 12-15 reps
    1 set of stiff leg deadlift 12 reps (ended early as I felt more in back than hamstrings)
    3 sets of leg extensions 12-15 reps
    3 Miscellaneous hip flexers (in and out) with ball 12 reps
    3 sets of calf raises (25,20, to soreness + 10 reps)
    0.4 mile walk back home
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Yesterday was full body workout at the gym, forget the full routine now but included leg press, seated leg curls, chest press, bicep curls, side planks, bridge, squats... and more!

Also went to pilates in the evening. Today I haven't booked anything in as not 100% sure how the work day is going to pan out but am hoping I can fit something in later.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Why wait until Monday? The best day to start exercising is 20 years ago, the second best day is today! Kick it, sister, and post away!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Yesterday I surprised my wife with a belated birthday present of taking her to the local baseball stadium to see her favorite team visiting to play here. Hot as blazes, no shade for our seats, she loved going but we both mutually agreed to leave early on account of being overheated. All she apparently needed was some time spent in the air conditioned truck drive home, where I actually was getting worse. Went from feeling normal to sick as a dog in under an hour, threw up as soon as I got home and laid down for an hour nap, got up feeling fully normal again, just a tad on the weak side. We suspect a case of food poisoning from the burger I ate there, the only thing I had she didn't. So I ate a light meal, went to bed early, and woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks, rarin' to hit the gym. Had to back off the weights about 5%, but otherwise got all my sets/reps in, and appetite today has been normal.
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    5:30am 3 sets each of pushups, squats, resistance band rows, bicep curls. Gonna do the same circuit tomorrow switching bicep curls with pull ups from a dead hang cause I got a low doorway and adding resistance band shoulder presses cause I skipped that today. Hope I can get a good night sleep cause I'm going to bed before 10pm tonight
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Quoting with selected snippies . . .
    Would you all mind if I joined the thread?
    I just re-joined MFP a few days ago.
    Welcome!
    I'm in my early 50's (although somedays I feel much older), married (34 years & counting), I'm a mom and a grandma 🥰

Exercising, and moving around in general, is my biggest downfall, especially out here in this part of the desert where temperatures exceed 115 degrees during the Late Spring/Summer/Fall months.
    50s? Mere youth! (I'm 67. ;) )

I predict that if you get this exercise/weight situation wrangled - as I'm betting you can - you'll surprise yourself with how much younger you feel in a few weeks of consistency, let alone a few months.

I didn't get routinely active until my late 40s/early 50s, didn't reach a healthy weight until age 60. Now, at 67, I definitely feel - am functionally - younger than I was at 45. I'm not special, just a hedonistic aging hippie with severely limited willpower. "Functionally younger" is a thing available to most anyone who's gotten depleted, I think.

But...it's the 'getting going' part that I'm having serious issues with. 🙄
    During the day there is no one around here to kick my butt...or motivate me to get going so I end up procrastinating to the point of not accomplishing ANY of my exercise goals for the day.

I've had some success just telling myself that exercise is not a decision, it's just a thing that I DO, kind of like washing the dishes or brushing my teeth. ;)

I admit, I mostly do things I find really fun. In Winter, though, I use that "not a decision" concept a lot. ;)

If it's okay with everyone I'd like to come back next Monday and start logging, daily, my completed workouts so I can keep myself accountable 😊

I'm with nossmf: Start now.

Welcome to the thread!
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Didn't manage to get anything done at the gym yesterday as was working until much later than planned. Didn't get home until late and had to make dinner and do a few chores. Not the end of the world, I did get out for a walk, it's the best I could do!

Today I was sat in meetings all day and my steps really took a battering - less than 1000 by 4pm! But I made it to the gym after work, mainly focused on arms and core as lots of the machines were in use when I went. Remind me never to go to the gym at 5.30pm on a Friday!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Felt really groggy this morning: My CO2 detector decided to start depleted-battery chirps about an hour before my alarm clock went off, and once I dealt with that I couldn't get back to sleep. Silly Garmin said my silly "body battery" was at 47 of 100. That thing is iffy, but it wasn't a good start, TBH.

We had enough rowers for a quad. The only other person who's ever willing to bow (steer & run the workout) felt too tired to do it . . . but also wanted to do another workout with lots of power intervals. :D OK.

So I sat bow, did all the steering, stroke counting, shouting. We warmed up to the upstream bridge, did power 10 (stroke) and power 20 intervals to the downstream bridge (plus one 20 after the turn), then cooled down back to the dock. It was a decent workout, and felt decent technically (whole boat).

I finished the run feeling pretty burned out mentally and physically (down to 33/100 :D ). Coffee helped a little.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Been sick the last couple of days and didn't exercise. Missed lifting yesterday, so decided to go today even though I also lift tomorrow. Every session is full body so two days in a row is a bit tough. So I went for a slightly slimmed down day:
    • Warmup
    • Deadlift- Two sets of three and a set of 9 reps at the end, some Sumo pulls for fun
    • Overhead press- Two sets of three and a set of 9 reps at the end
    • Chinups- 5 sets of 3 (last two sets with +10kg)
    • Chest supported rows- 4 sets of 8
    • Cable crunches- 4 sets of 15
    • Weighted back extensions- 3 sets of 5
    • Hanging leg raises- 3 sets of 5
    I am doing 5/3/1 at the moment for OHP and deadlift, and it was 3/3/3 day, hence the low volume/weird rep scheme. First time trying weighted chinups in maybe 10 years- was still able to do them with full ROM (chest to bar down to absolute dead hang) so I was pleased. But right now I probably couldn't do that many more than 3 reps with the weight. I do chinups twice a week, might switch to doing a volume day and a heavy day.
  • Ms_Heffalumpy
    Ms_Heffalumpy Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome.

@AnnPT77
    I didn't always feel 'so old' but I had a stroke back in late December that knocked me for a loop and since then I do have my days where I feel much older than I am.
    Like you, hopefully, once I get back into the 'swing' of things (pun intended 😂 🤣 gotta love kettlebells) I'll start feeling closer to my actual age, if not younger.

Right now, my 'exercise' workout schedule (up and over normal daily activities) is 4 days a week.
    Monday thru Thursday.
    Fridays, as well as the weekends are my 'rest' days...

Now if including everyday activities like housework, dishes, laundry and so on, is allowed then I've been exercising my butt off today 😂 🤣

• gains4lif3
    Options
    I got a nice run in today outside for around 20 mins. I took a break for some sightseeing and then went to bike ride home for 10 mins
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    To the gym! Have an ouchy in my shoulder so skipped barbell bench press.
    1. Warmup
    2. Front squats- 5 sets of 10
    3. Incline dumbbell bench press- 5 sets of 10
    4. Chinups- 7, 5, 6, 6
    5. EZ-bar preacher curls- 4 sets of 12
    6. Cable tricep extensions- 4 sets of 10
    7. Lateral raises- 3 sets of 8
    8. Chest-supported rows (high position)- 3 sets of 8
    The weight of the front squats was very light but it was still pretty tough to get to 10 reps. Chinups didn't feel that great- probably because I did some yesterday too. Overall it was fine.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    We had another farewell party for one of our rowing club members, this time one returning to London, England. It was a 9k-ish row in the quad, most of it moderate pace because we went upstream past the bridge where we usually spin, up to a less populated area of the river to see more wildlife.

On the way back, we did some short power pieces for variety. I was in engine room (2 seat) because someone else volunteered to bow. That made me very happy, because it was early, I was groggy, and it's stressful picking through the bends, shallows and snags in that upstream area.

Later I did some casual walking, but it was at a local small-town food festival (lots of food trucks and stands), so it was pleasant but the calorie balance was pretty dire. :D
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts beginner

Got weak on overheads - After a good workout with military press, I increased weight again the next workout and bombed. I immediately dropped back to previous weight and bombed that too. Fine, I figured I just exerted myself too much. Next session did previous weight and could not complete all reps. What the heck?

Next time, I’m going to make sure I’m well hydrated (I struggle with that) plus carb up beforehand. And I may switch to push press maybe. I’m struggling at the bottom of the press, not sure what that means. I can grind at the top but at the bottom I’ve got nothing. Just a teeny little kick at the bottom and I can take care of the rest, but I don’t want to cut corners.

Deadlifts getting painful/fun - I hate doing them. But last time I had spaghetti legs for about 20 minutes after and that part was fun.

About to hit novice level rows - Next A session. 💪

Dumbbell bench - I don’t have a rack so I’m using dumbbells to bench press. One drawback is that there is a bigger jump, relatively, when increasing weight. I can 5x5 my current weight but am nowhere on the next weight up. So I’m just working on increasing reps. Yeah, I’ve taken liberties with the program, what can ya do. I have bookmarked this cheap standalone rack that would let me bench plus rack up for squats and overheads, but not sure if/when I’ll pull the trigger on that. Don’t call the cops on me but I have currently rigged boxes for my squats (and overheads if I can push past my current block). But it won’t work for benching.

Definitely seeing results outside of weights - For example, I live on a short hill with a 20-25% grade (no exaggeration, many companies actually refuse to deliver to my house). Going for walks always sucks because coming home is quite a slog. Just from doing deadlifts and squats, and no extra walking, suddenly the hill went from a groaner to easy peasy and fun. In fact I started doing laps down and up just to hit my step goal for the day. I’m opening jars other people struggle with and reap hate for it. 👍
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Had a busy day yesterday at work but did manage to get a 30 minute workout in at the gym, did a fair bit of arm work which was probably a mistake as my arms were tired from Friday! But got through it.

Today I went for my usual horse ride, he was a little excitable today, the wind was up which always makes things interesting but we still had fun. My other half came along and ran alongside which my horse always likes for some reason! I've also done some yin yoga stretches.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 4x10
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x12
    Suitcase Carry 3x40s

No backing off on weight this time, in fact was able to increase on a couple lifts!
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Cardio today- 45 minutes incline treadmill walk.

I see people in the gym using much higher inclines than I use (I use 7.5%). But I find that if I let the incline go much higher it is hard to keep my back straight. And if I walk with a bent lower back, my back explodes. Fun. Anyway, this gives me a nice sweat and by the feel of it, it keeps me nicely in 'Zone 2'. I say 'by the feel of it' because a long time ago I did all my running with a chest strap HR monitor and got reasonably good at guesstimating my HR.