What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    My new lifting routine in the AM (5 sets of 30 X 3 - shoulders, legs, chest compound movements) -- getting easier now. It was brutal the first couple of times, this felt easier.

Then, at lunch, did a 4 X 2K row/3 minutes recovery, capping the HR @ around 175. I really said 170 to start but 175 didn't feel too painful, LOL.

2:10.6 average pace for the four 2Ks. That's a hard day. 750 calories on the row in 45 minutes. I have to get back to work but I'm ready for a nap!
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    I forgot to post but I did an hour of pilates, which was pretty intense because we were holding positions for a long time and my weight is heavy so it was like planking but easier on your back and abs and harder on the arms. Then I did half my back routine. I expected to do more but I woke up 30min before pilates class so I trained fasted and I was hungry halfway through.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Fun day. Rowed in the morning, bow of the quad, for the usual 7k-ish. We had a double and a single out as part of our group. Some of us went out for coffee after.

Later, decided to bike to a "scrap fest" event (teams build sculptures out of junk which are then viewed/judged, plus there's bands, food trucks, etc. I'd planned a round trip (circa 20 miles), but ran into my regular rowing double partner and her husband (semi planned), then they invited me over for dinner at their place (unplanned) so we put my bike in their car and they drove me home (late, after dinner, Scrabble, etc.).

Some fun exercise-ish activity, embedded in other fun stuff, on a beautiful day. Can't beat that!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2022
    I went for a climb on Friday. It was fun, I was on form. 2 hour session.

I got a call from A&E at a hospital late that evening, where my brother had been admitted. So I drove to the hospital to pick him up, getting there at 1 a.m. I intended to go caving for the weekend, but replanned and spent it around my brother's instead. We did a very nice 12 mile hike yesterday.
  • MikePfirrman
    Just did a 30 minute steady state row (machine) on the deck. Then splashed around in the pool. Had to clean the pool filter, which is like a 45 minute job, so took it easier on the exercising with being in the heat already to do that.

We don't get humidity here but during Monsoon season. I keep seeing my friends say "how hot" it is other places like in the UK. It was 93 at 8 AM w/ 60% humidity when I started my row. That's hot. It's 103 right now and the humidity is still higher than normal. Every year around this time, I remember what sweat feels like!
  • bojaantje3822
    I walked home from work, according to google maps that's 36 minutes but I carried groceries for the last 15 of those. The weather was nice.

I've been feeling bad mentally and physically today and hadn't eaten enough so my actual workout was super rough. First we did a 10 min emom with pull ups on the even minutes and box dips on the uneven minutes. My wrist mobility is awful so I experienced the worst exercise ever in the scaled version of the box dips. I did 5 the first round, then 3 every other round. For the pull ups I did banded pull ups from the rack for the first time! The bands were horizontal and there were 3 green ones (idk what that means) but it was set to accomodate the height and weight of two smaller-than-me girls so I could only get my eyes level with the bar but I managed 5 every round so I'm super happy .

Then I did 2x 40 air squats, 50 4kg wall balls and 12 cals on the assault bike in 16 minutes and some seconds. Immediately afterwards I rushed to the bathroom because the squeezing and stretching from the wallballs and the general exertion got my bowel moving. When I walked back into the gym it went black before my eyes for a few seconds so I spent half an hour in various positions heavily leaning on a chair but not sitting on it, as I would never get back up if I did.

TMI: I got the whole toilet wet with my sweat but at least there were 6 stalls so I didn't overly inconvenience anyone except the cleaning person.
    No longer tmi: But I had no trouble putting my leggings back on despite them and my legs being soaked because they're now kinda huge on me.
  • AnnPT77
    I got to row *engine room* in the quad today, yay! (Engine room = one of the two middle seats, not stroke (who's responsible for cadence) or bow (who's responsible for steering).) It was so fun just to be able to focus on technique and power. It also felt a bit cooler, because it was breezy, which made the power effort more manageable/pleasant.

We rowed only about 6.7km (I think the bow rower - her first time in bow of a quad - was nervous about getting too close to the bridges at speed, before the turns, maybe). But we got slightly faster splits as a boat than we've been hitting lately, and for me about half the row was Z3, so a little more intensity but not super intense.

My releases still kinda s*ck, right probably even worse than left, but I think I'm making improvements when I have the mindshare to focus on it like this.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Leg Day, everybody's favorite day in the weight room!

Squats (sets of 20, yay!), BB Step-Ups, Leg Press, Glute Press, Calf Raises
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member
    @AnnPT77

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that when rowing a shell, you face the stern. It would make sense that a rower in the stern is responsible for cadence since all others can see them.

But the boat is steered from the BOW? I'm really curious how that works because I'm used to taking rudder strokes from the stern or a "bow rudder" from the bow, but that's when facing the bow of the boat and using a single blade canoe paddle or double blade kayak paddle. Using a bow rudder would drastically slow the shell I think.

What am I missing?
  • MikePfirrman
    Did 30 minutes today in the garage. Hot as hell despite the cooler at lunch (100 at lunch, 93 even with the cooler right on me).

Despite the heat, still doing well on SS (Steady State) paces. Relative to HR, they keep dropping. 2:23 today all capped under 150 HR (roughly 78% max). Finished in the A/C with 20 minutes on the LateralX. Really easy on that.
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 2022
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @AnnPT77

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that when rowing a shell, you face the stern. It would make sense that a rower in the stern is responsible for cadence since all others can see them.

But the boat is steered from the BOW? I'm really curious how that works because I'm used to taking rudder strokes from the stern or a "bow rudder" from the bow, but that's when facing the bow of the boat and using a single blade canoe paddle or double blade kayak paddle. Using a bow rudder would drastically slow the shell I think.

What am I missing?

in a coxless boat, generally no rudder, just a fixed fin (skeg) under the boat near stern.

Bow steers because they're the one who can best see in the direction of travel: They're still looking over their shoulder or in a small hat/glasses mirror, but no other rowers obstruct their view.

Depending on the situation, they can make tiny/slow steering corrections by themself (row harder/further on one side) or call the boat to "hard starboard" or "hard port" (usually for an announced count, which they count aloud, i.e. "hard starboard for 3: . . . 1 . . . 2 . . . 3. . . even pressure", calling the count at the catch).

Bow also calls starts, various kinds of stops, can ask for boat-speed slowing if needed, have the rowers hold water on one or both sides, etc. Bow starts/ends the "river turns", too, where the boat pivots around its center by rowing on one side and backing on the other.

Lots of structured, bossy shouting from bow!

A few boats have toe steering, not too common: A contraption connects the toe-end of one rower's shoe to lines that connect to a sort of capstan, and that to a rudder on the underside of the shell. Rudder is part of a larger fin assembly toward the stern.

Steering is by slightly pivoting the foot. (All rowers' shoes are attached to the boat. We take off our shoes on the dock, put on the boat's shoes when we get in.) (I've never toe-steered.)

Even coxed boats steer by lines to a capstan and a rudder under the boat. The rudder is tiny, just a few square inches even on a 60' 8+ (8 rowers, one sweep oar each, plus coxswain).

The cox can use any of the calls a bow would use in a coxless boat, including calling for hard rowing on one side when the rudder is insufficient. In truly desperate times, cox can also effect a turn by sticking an arm in the water - very rare.

Coxes, especially in 8s, are usually amplified via a headset to speakers along the boat. Cox in a 4 or quad may sit bow or stern depending on the specific boat design; in 8s, always stern (for their safety).

People think coxes shout "stroke stroke stroke". They never do. They may give rating (spm) change calls to the stroke rower, and the other rowers synch with the stroke. Coxes steer, call starts/stops (rowed turns if needed), run the practice like a sub-coach, run the race plan in races - all the think-y, counting, metrics stuff. Coxes usually have electronics ("cox box" with stroke count, timer, spm, speed, etc.). In coxed boats, rowers just look straight ahead and *row* - not their job to think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Quick 10 mile lunch ride.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member
    Thanks @AnnPT77

I have a skeg on one of my sea kayaks. I am not fond of rudders.

All this makes sense. It's a very SLOW steer. Like I should generally be doing in my solo canoes - just don't paddle on one side, and maybe in my case give the boat some lean to either the inside or outside of the turn, and the boat will go in the opposite direction of the side I'm paddling on. This isn't a fast enough turn if I'm navigating around obstructions in a narrower channel.

I am tempted to go check out the Masters Crew, but I've never rowed a shell. I love to row, and I think it would be a BLAST to go that fast under human power. I just don't like all the structured practice I'd have to commit to.
  • AnnPT77
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Thanks @AnnPT77

I have a skeg on one of my sea kayaks. I am not fond of rudders.

All this makes sense. It's a very SLOW steer. Like I should generally be doing in my solo canoes - just don't paddle on one side, and maybe in my case give the boat some lean to either the inside or outside of the turn, and the boat will go in the opposite direction of the side I'm paddling on. This isn't a fast enough turn if I'm navigating around obstructions in a narrower channel.

I am tempted to go check out the Masters Crew, but I've never rowed a shell. I love to row, and I think it would be a BLAST to go that fast under human power. I just don't like all the structured practice I'd have to commit to.

It's probably not as slow a steer as you might think, either with the rudder or by using the rowers. Not fast - but maybe faster than you'd expect. Speaking from cox perspective, it's reasonably responsive, at speed.

A kayak skeg/rudder (which are usually at/near the end of the boat) are an experientially different thing than a rowing shell rudder or skeg, IME. (My sea kayak has neither, but I've paddled kayaks with either.) The rowing shell rudder is a small part of the skeg assembly, and the skeg is always a good distance from the stern - how far depends on the boat size.

This is a photo of my single upside down in slings, with the skeg at the arrow. (The shape is a little confounded by the equally-black rigger sticking out on the far side of the boat, at the same visual spot, but you can probably see that the skeg is a small, smooth fin-shape several feet down the length of the hull.) It's less . . . intrusive? . . . than the skeg on kayaks I've paddled. On a bigger boat, the rudder would be a small movable section of that same fin assembly, roughly proportionally far down the boat's length.

As context for others not familiar with rowing shells: This racing single is about 26 feet (8 meters) long, roughly 12" (30 cm) wide at the waterline (wider above), weighs just over 31 pounds (14 kg).

xmb32o3dngc4.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Congratulations, @djproulx - wonderful result from all your patient training!
  • MikePfirrman
    @Djproulx -- that's awesome! Hey, to be 2/3 of a 1st place team is pretty impressive! Congrats on that and I hope your hamstring starts to feel better soon.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Pull Day in the weight room:

Pulldowns, chindowns, high rows, low rows, T-bar rows, DB shrugs, preacher curls
  • bojaantje3822
    10 min emom of power snatches. The first 4 min I did 2 power snatches at 63% of my 1rm snatch, then the second 4 min I did 2 at 69%, and the final two minutes I did one power snatch at 75%. I kept it low weight because of my back. We were supposed to do 70-80-90%.

Then overheae squats. These hurt my wrists more than usual because my wrists haven't recovered from yesterday's nightmare (box dips) but I did 1 set of 3 at 71% of my 1rm overhead squat, 1 set of 3 at 79%, 2 sets of 3 at 86% and one final set of 3 at 93%.

The percentages are weird because I can't snatch super heavy and my overhead squat is even weaker (because of my wrists. I hold the bar as close to a regular grip as I can (vs snatch width) while still capable of squatting all the way down) and the smallest increments at our gym are 2,5kg with 1,25kg plates. I don't mind it because it only really matters with the stuff you can't lift 50kg of so that's limited for me to overhead squats, snatches (though I'd be getting there if my back was okay), push presses (thanks to my wrists again), bench presses and shoulder presses, but we rarely do those last 2 anyway.

I'm starting to get the hang of letting gravity drop my body down while I'm pulling the bar up so I succeed at that about 15% of the time vs my previous 0% of the time. Practicing snatch balances (last week?) REALLY made something click in my mind. I have been able to understand how to theoretically do it for months but I could not translate it to my body actually doing it until today. I'm very happy with that.

I also walked home from work again, 36 min. I only do this when I have the time and energy and if the weather is nice so it's exercise and not just habitual movement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    weight room over lunch. i'll probably spend an hour or so this evening playing in the pool with the boys.