Gaining muscle as a soccer player

Options
Looking for best ways to build lean muscle as a soccer player (foods, way of working out, etc). Any tips

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Consume energy at a small surplus over your non-muscle-building needs (200 to 300 calories, a little more if you're young, male, and new to strength training) -- your body can only build so much muscle, so any extra calories are going to just add fat, which I assume is not what you want.

Get plenty of protein, because that (and water) is what muscle is made from. I'm not going to throw a number out, because I have zero interest in being harangued by people who are deeply committed to some other number. I will say that if you're looking at numbers that require you to pack in as much meat as you can stand three or four times a day topped off by two or three protein shakes made with protein powder, skim milk and fat-free yogurt,
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    ... you might want to get a second opinion (stupid app wouldn't let me access the end of my post to keep typing).

Third, you need to engage in progressive resistance training. You're not going to build muscle unless you challenge the ones you have.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also maybe ask your coach what is best for your training program, I'm sure there are suggestions for the team.