What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts beginner

Got weak on overheads - After a good workout with military press, I increased weight again the next workout and bombed. I immediately dropped back to previous weight and bombed that too. Fine, I figured I just exerted myself too much. Next session did previous weight and could not complete all reps. What the heck?

Next time, I’m going to make sure I’m well hydrated (I struggle with that) plus carb up beforehand. And I may switch to push press maybe. I’m struggling at the bottom of the press, not sure what that means. I can grind at the top but at the bottom I’ve got nothing. Just a teeny little kick at the bottom and I can take care of the rest, but I don’t want to cut corners.

You use your shoulders more at the bottom of the lift, and triceps more at the top.

There's lots of tweaks and things you can do (and are supposed to) for your overhead press. But at the end of the day it's a fiddly lift and often stops responding to linear progression programs early on. Before too long you will probably have to switch to an intermediate program, at least for that lift.
    Definitely seeing results outside of weights - For example, I live on a short hill with a 20-25% grade (no exaggeration, many companies actually refuse to deliver to my house). Going for walks always sucks because coming home is quite a slog. Just from doing deadlifts and squats, and no extra walking, suddenly the hill went from a groaner to easy peasy and fun. In fact I started doing laps down and up just to hit my step goal for the day. I’m opening jars other people struggle with and reap hate for it. 👍

Awesome!

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @williamsonmj1
    Thanks for the info, that is useful.

Thinking of adding lateral raises to help shoulders.

Have always had better arms than anything else. Want to catch everything else up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Sunday is usually rest day. This one was my first ever dragon boat race: Just 3 races, around 250-300m, so pretty much pure sprint. Low calorie expenditure, somewhat higher fatigue factor, pretty darned fun.

Our team - which was all women, lots of newbies, and an ad hoc pickup team that doesn't practice other than at the event - finished at 5 out of 10 teams. I don't feel bad about that. In the top 4 were 2 teams that have boats and practice regularly, plus a team formed around a fitness center. (Ours was formed around the local Women's Center, which was also the beneficiary of the event's proceeds.)

It was fun. I put a high value on fun active stuff. :) I'm happy.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    50 min of low impact aerobics and some stretching. Burned 450 calories
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    An hour of yoga by a local lake this morning, beautiful even in the rain!

And an hour in the gym this afternoon, I felt able to push myself further today. Not sure if it was the music I was listening to or just in the right headspace but I found myself able to do a couple of extra reps here, an extra unplanned set of exercises there. Did full-body which is my usual, lots of squats, side planks, pull-ups, overhead dumbbell press, rows, can't remember everything else but I ended by holding a squat on a bosu ball for as long as I could just to work on balance. Hopefully I don't feel too sore tomorrow!
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fifty minutes incline treadmill walk today.
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Today I swam 850 yards. I alternate swimming with the recumbent bike or elliptical.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Of course I rowed. It's Monday, and it didn't storm.

Usual 7k-ish, 2 seat of the quad, a few power 10s and some timed full-power pieces, plus practicing race starts (even though the head race coming up will not require race starts :D ).

They told me my obliques would be sore after the dragon boat races. Not so much: Maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe 3 x about 1 minute wasn't enough stimulus for that?

I was trying hard, no objective evidence whether that was effective or not. If anything, I have a little upper pec tightness, which makes sense based on what the dragon boat paddling motion is like (not like canoeing!). Those muscles don't get much work in rowing, which is all upper body pull, and lower shoulder/back/arm muscles. Dragon boat paddling, the inside arm goes way up (overhead), and the motion is kind of a straight stab down into the water, then a push/pull-like sequence as the blade moves right next to the gunwale, mostly vertical paddle angle, from around one's feet to the mid/upper thigh area, with a bit of body twist. (I'm probably describing it poorly, and probably did it poorly, first time out.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated Smith OHP <superset> BB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Not much formal exercise lately with two long weekend trips plus bike wheel out for repair.
    I did get back to the gym for a trainer led session. A full body workout: push/pull/legs/core.
  • JulimarieS
    JulimarieS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    20 minutes stretch, light Pilates. 30 minutes of cardio with low impact weights. I'm considering doing one day 30 min. Pilates and the next day 30 min. cardio. The scale isn't really budging.
  • cathhyam
    cathhyam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DL 2 sets 3 x 100kg, 2 x 6 x 90kg
    Seated row 3 x 8 x ? (Didn’t notice what trainer set)
    Eccentric push-ups 3 x 8

62F

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Push session for me.

2x10 incline press with a 3rd set done at lighter weight with long(er) pauses at the bottom. First 2 sets done with a 1-2 sec pause at the bottom.
    2x15 machine flys
    2x12 dips
    2x15 one arm cable reverse flys
    2x15 one arm cable lateral raises
    1x failure seated cable skullcrushers supersetted with 1x failure dips.

• diggymo1972
    diggymo1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    P90 X down to 4 days a week now
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    3.5mile walk today. Hoping to get my tri bike back from the shop soon.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Yesterday:

Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10

Today:

Elliptical Hills - 1 hr (811 calories)
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    40 minute walk plus 40 minutes in the gym, legs and arms today.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Of course I rowed. It's Monday, and it didn't storm.

Usual 7k-ish, 2 seat of the quad, a few power 10s and some timed full-power pieces, plus practicing race starts (even though the head race coming up will not require race starts :D ).

They told me my obliques would be sore after the dragon boat races. Not so much: Maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe 3 x about 1 minute wasn't enough stimulus for that?

I was trying hard, no objective evidence whether that was effective or not. If anything, I have a little upper pec tightness, which makes sense based on what the dragon boat paddling motion is like (not like canoeing!). Those muscles don't get much work in rowing, which is all upper body pull, and lower shoulder/back/arm muscles. Dragon boat paddling, the inside arm goes way up (overhead), and the motion is kind of a straight stab down into the water, then a push/pull-like sequence as the blade moves right next to the gunwale, mostly vertical paddle angle, from around one's feet to the mid/upper thigh area, with a bit of body twist. (I'm probably describing it poorly, and probably did it poorly, first time out.)

Rowing!!!Nice!!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowed bow in the double, more like 9k this time because the ski team was out again and we did the double loop upstream and left them to be downstream (by mutual agreement). Again, my most compatible double partner was in stroke seat, so it was really pleasant.

Didn't do much yesterday, just a casual roughly 3 mile walk with a friend, through a monthly statewide farmers market, then along the river trail. Garmin somehow decided this was sufficient to subtract another year from my "fitness age": Now I'm putatively fitness-25 instead of fitness-26 (while actually remaining real life 67 and counting). I think this is hilarious. What the heck is wrong with 25/26 year olds, if this is right?!!?)