Weight loss after menopause

Options
1235»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Such an old thread, funny to read my old replies. My own update is that I'm 60 now and STILL have heat flashes, though less severe for sure.

We rescued a Siberian Husky puppy at the end of June, huuuuuuuge life change for us (first time dog owners, always had cats, but the comparison of cats v. dogs is laughable) and we walked her over 100 miles in July. I dropped enough weight to fit into some super-tight shorts I sewed earlier this year, so happy about that. Weight loss definitely happens in menopause/later years... whether that's good news or bad is up to each individual.

I think it's good news. (Why would it be bad? Because some people rely on excuses. Not being argumentative, just reporting what I've experienced on these forums and in real life.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Such an old thread, funny to read my old replies. My own update is that I'm 60 now and STILL have heat flashes, though less severe for sure.

We rescued a Siberian Husky puppy at the end of June, huuuuuuuge life change for us (first time dog owners, always had cats, but the comparison of cats v. dogs is laughable) and we walked her over 100 miles in July. I dropped enough weight to fit into some super-tight shorts I sewed earlier this year, so happy about that. Weight loss definitely happens in menopause/later years... whether that's good news or bad is up to each individual.

I think it's good news. (Why would it be bad? Because some people rely on excuses. Not being argumentative, just reporting what I've experienced on these forums and in real life.)

Agree. In real life, and on the occasional thread here, "it's so hard because menopause" (or hypothyroidism, age, etc.) sometimes becomes a bonding experience for like-minded groups and a reason to give up for the individuals. That's unfortunate.
  • MNNice68
    MNNice68 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and links etc. No ovaries, have discussed situation with doctor who perfomed the surgery and several NP's in the last couple of years, I feel like it all falls on deaf ears, they offer a anti-depressant and tell me exercise more, eat less. There is more to it than that. I wish I could find a NP or doctor who listens to their patients and not the tests which have come back "falls within the normal range".
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    MNNice68 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice and links etc. No ovaries, have discussed situation with doctor who perfomed the surgery and several NP's in the last couple of years, I feel like it all falls on deaf ears, they offer a anti-depressant and tell me exercise more, eat less. There is more to it than that. I wish I could find a NP or doctor who listens to their patients and not the tests which have come back "falls within the normal range".

Thanks for coming back and checking out the responses from others who have been in your situation. There’s one thing you wrote in your last response that peaked my curiosity-

How many calories, protein, carbs? How do I figure all of this out? Thank you in advance for any information and guidance.

It sounds like you’ve been dealing with weight gain, specifically around your tummy, that’s bothering you, but all your tests come back normal. After reading your question and admittedly stating you didn’t know how to figure out your calories or macros, I think a logical option at this point is to do what most of us have to do and that is to weigh and log your food and drinks accurately and diligently. Sometimes we rush to the assumption there has to be a medical reason for our weight gain outside of our control, but you won’t truly know that unless you get the data to prove it.

You can input your goal on MFP of .5 or 1lb loss per week, add your activity level, and it will tell you how many calories to eat daily. If you do intentional exercise eat back 1/2 those calories. At least for awhile until you get a handle on things, weigh your food and drinks on a food scale (literally everything) and be as honest and accurate as possible when you’re logging. Avoid eating out for awhile to prevent logging errors. Now, weigh-in first thing in the morning as much as you’re comfortable, but at least once a week, to follow your weight trend. The more you weigh-in the more data points you have to make observations. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I truly hope there’s no underlying health concern. I think this would be one way of knowing for sure and give you peace of mind. Please keep us posted, we genuinely care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    MNNice68 wrote: »

What all was tested? Specifically wondering if your estrogen was tested?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

My (now ex) boyfriend rescued a Siberian Husky in 2007 or so. OMG, he was so much work! I had him for First Walk and Last Walk and my ex took him with him to work and to Dog Park a few times a day. Until we developed that routine, he had behavior issues. Working dog breeds sure need exercise!

Wish I'd had a pedometer then!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Neither of us had had a Working Dog breed before. So much work! So worth it, but he had behavior problems until we figured out he needed to be worked and worked.

gdkol26bd2t8.jpg

Your n=1 indicates that a large part of the problem with weight gain for women "of a certain age" is decreased activity.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Neither of us had had a Working Dog breed before. So much work! So worth it, but he had behavior problems until we figured out he needed to be worked and worked.

gdkol26bd2t8.jpg

Your n=1 indicates that a large part of the problem with weight gain for women "of a certain age" is decreased activity.

Yep, most likely. I've been losing just fine. Posting mostly snarky and otherwise unrelated comments in 'Lets do this' and have lost about 2-2.5kg since starting exactly a month ago. Which to be honest is a bit too fast for my liking. Conclusion? More food, and especially more snacks!