Open discussion on the minds ability to influence the physical body......

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

Like people with similar degenerative conditions, say, muscular dystrophy or motor neurone disease or Huntingtons disease - absolutely no amount of positive thinking or compliance with treatment or believing anything will change the outcome.

But don't you hope that someone, somewhere is saying, "Of course there's a cure! And we will find it. Let's get to work."

of course - but that doesnt change what I said before.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thank you for this interesting thread. Considering that being the absolute best in any field, happens to too few people, no matter how hard the vast majority of serious people who truly want to get to the top, work… It involves having political savvy, communication skills, emotional intelligence, marketing skills, good PR, character, maturity it, etc. And a host of other traits, like a “good network”... Look at all the winners of "American Idol" and "The Voice", what percentage of all the winners truly made it, despite having loads of talent? There can only be so many Carrie Underwoods.

I always thought the, "You can be anything was a lie." How many Barbara Walters, Albert Einstein's, Nobel Peace Prize Winners, Howard Sterns, Michael Jordan's, Michael Jackson's, pro-athletes, musicians, quality politicians, actors, musicians, athletes, Bruce Jenner's to get on the “Wheaties box”? Only a few percentages of people, survival of the fittest….

I would never want to discourage a child. Let's face it, a person with the most grit, tenacity, resiliency, and consistency with a list of other factors gets to the top. Sometimes it is luck, but usually it is about your network, more money usually means more opportunities, preparation meets opportunity. How many years did they practice?

All I know for myself, the times I made a concentrated effort to visualize my weight loss results, I lost more weight and my commitment was greater vs. the times I did not visualize. I had a harder time, and I was not as committed or I wasn't as mentally tough and made excuses. I would review it in my head periodically throughout the day. This quality as well as completing the tasks help me get to my weight loss goal.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    To be clear, the part I'm disputing is the implication that if something doesn't think they can get better, they won't get help. IME, often, despite despair, they will get help, follow a course of treatment . . . and some do get better.

I didn’t say if they don’t think they will get better then they won’t get help, so let me clarify.

There’s people that don’t think they’ll get better and do get help. And there’s also people that don’t think they’ll get better and don’t get help. I’m speaking to the latter.

For those that don’t think they’ll get better and don’t get help, likely won’t get better unfortunately. That’s why it’s worth trying. That’s the ENTIRE point of everything I’m saying. Whether you believe it or not, it’s worth trying.
  • ddsb1111
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I dont agree with that - my point in fact was that no matter how much I beleive and put in effort (nobody is saying things will just be achieved without effort) everything is not acheivable just by believing it is, even with maximum effort at it.

I didn’t say everything is achievable by just believing it.

re another point - not sure what part of wedding vows are not meant to be taken literally? - I certainly took mine literally.

I meant this mostly as a joke. Think modern women using traditional vows.
  • ddsb1111
    edited October 2023
    Options
    But, if I'm 40, living in my Mom's basement still.... well, maybe it's time to move on from that dream of being a famous writer.

Lol, yeah please don’t do that.

The reason some manifestations are realized is because someone not only thought about it but worked hard for it (this is the part I feel is missing from everyone’s manifesting definition). In no way does this mean mooch off your poor mother. Also, I’m not a huge fan of the word manifest but it was the topic I was responding to.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    dddsb111, I don't see the working hard for it bit as something anyone has missed..
    Quite the reverse - absolutely nobody seemed to me to be saying goals would be achieved without working toward them.

Our point was that even when one does as much hard work as possible, not every goal is acheiveable - and the 'You can be anything if you believe and try hard enough' mantra does say everything is acheivable - therefore IMO it is a silly and trite and false saying
  • paperpudding
    Options
    For those that don’t think they’ll get better and don’t get help, likely won’t get better unfortunately. That’s why it’s worth trying. That’s the ENTIRE point of everything I’m saying. Whether you believe it or not, it’s worth trying.

No sometimes it is not.

Sometimes people are better off focusing on quality of life that seeking more and more treatments trying to get better when that is not going to happen and losing quality of the time they have.

Individual decisions in individual circumstances
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    No, no, it was just an example, like general 'you' - was not a personal or individual comment and, No, I myself do not have a terminal illness or any illness.

So sorry if my poor wording suggested that, entirely unintentional.

However my mother did really die from PSP, a rare degenerative brain/muscle disorder.

Like people with similar degenerative conditions, say, muscular dystrophy or motor neurone disease or Huntingtons disease - absolutely no amount of positive thinking or compliance with treatment or believing anything will change the outcome.

So glad to know I misunderstood you :smiley:
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    Options
    dddsb111, I don't see the working hard for it bit as something anyone has missed..
    Quite the reverse - absolutely nobody seemed to me to be saying goals would be achieved without working toward them.

Our point was that even when one does as much hard work as possible, not every goal is acheiveable - and the 'You can be anything if you believe and try hard enough' mantra does say everything is acheivable - therefore IMO it is a silly and trite and false saying [/b].

No sometimes it is not.

Sometimes people are better off focusing on quality of life that seeking more and more treatments trying to get better when that is not going to happen and losing quality of the time they have.

Individual decisions in individual circumstances

No, you just took my first post out of context and made it about something else. My post was about the meaning of manifesting and how it is both the mental intention and actions (work). I related that quote to manifesting which didn’t imply actions and I said the action part (work) was the missing part in many peoples idea of manifesting.

Here’s where the dots connect:

-Many people think manifesting is something you sit and think about and hope it comes true, with no mention of work or action.

-The quote is something you think about or believe and too makes no mention of work or action.

I then said, what people (who believe in manifesting) are missing is the actions part. I used an example of Jim Carrey using manifestation by writing a check and then he visualized cashing it. But he didn’t mention working his *kitten* off everyday in that same conversation.

You decided to completely focus on the quote and how you don’t agree with it, when my post was never about the quote specifically. I used it because I found a connection to the quote with peoples idea of Manifestation. I don’t have a problem with it either because I don’t take it too literally, which I did mention when my post was derailed.

Basically, I was talking about lemons. You decided I was talking about oranges and you don’t like oranges. I have no intention of arguing about oranges because I don’t have a like or dislike for them. Hey, if you don’t like oranges then don’t. I honestly don’t care if you do.

If you want to discuss lemons though, by all means let me know. I can’t say I have the same tenacity as you do, but I’ll certainly hear you out.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    arguing? :*

thought it was a civil discussion myself.

My posts are not responding just to you or what you posted but to anyone/everyone reading.

I dont think the thread has been derailed - it still seems about OP's topic to me - but perhaps it just isnt going the way you would like :*
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    arguing? :*

thought it was a civil discussion myself.

My posts are not responding just to you or what you posted but to anyone/everyone reading.

I dont think the thread has been derailed - it still seems about OP's topic to me - but perhaps it just isnt going the way you would like :*

You changed the meaning of my comment and then make an assumption about how I feel to be snarky lol. Mom, is that you? 😆
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I think maybe it's time to let this thread die... it seems like we've heard the different points of view.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    No, not trying to be snarky, sorry you took it that way.

yes, I agree Sollyn -that's it from me anyway, unless anyone else has anything new to add.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll add just a couple things..not in the vein of "dream it, work hard, get it" because ... no.

@AnnPT77 wrote the phrase "inappropriate positivity" a few pages back, and it reminded me of something that might be connected. Having recently suffered a devastating loss, I read up on grieving and mourning and how they're different. I also read to avoid people who would minimize the loss; folks who minimize your loss aren't good for you to be around when your emotions are raw and fresh.

In my opinion, minimizing loss and tossing around inappropriate positivity via cliches or maxims both equal a kind of dismissal.

The other thing: I've been thinking about the whole "menopause and weight gain" subject that pops up in these boards all the time. It seems there's a connection between prevailing (wrong) world-wisdom: "You've reached the age of menopause, now the fat deposits will settle in your midsection." I think this can have a very real physical effect on women without them even trying to think about it too much... they accept it as a foregone conclusion, and the weight gain happens. Definite mind/body fulfillment, or something close to it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Well, I'll add just a couple things..not in the vein of "dream it, work hard, get it" because ... no.

@AnnPT77 wrote the phrase "inappropriate positivity" a few pages back, and it reminded me of something that might be connected. Having recently suffered a devastating loss, I read up on grieving and mourning and how they're different. I also read to avoid people who would minimize the loss; folks who minimize your loss aren't good for you to be around when your emotions are raw and fresh.

In my opinion, minimizing loss and tossing around inappropriate positivity via cliches or maxims both equal a kind of dismissal.

[snip for focus]

@vivmom2014 speaking of grieving, there's a free online Workshop tonight from the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health. The main presenter is not right on point, but last year the other presenter, Reggie Hubbard, did a Day of the Dead workshop that was helpful for me with my own grief, so I am attending this one. There was absolutely no minimizing of loss by Reggie last year or ever. (I attend all his workshops.)

Reggie says, "I am merging my Dia de Los Muertos practice with Michael's Death Over Dinner program to create healing community to normalize discussions about death, grief and loss."

https://kripalu.org/presenters-programs/death-over-dinner

Join founder of the international movement Death Over Dinner, Michael Hebb, and internationally recognized yoga and meditation teacher, Reggie Hubbard, for an evening of deep connection. Come gather around the table to discuss your personal relationship to mortality.

During this one-of-a-kind online experience, you will:
    • Learn about how facing end-of-life can give us more vitality.
    • Gain the inspiration to create a comprehensive end of life plan.
    • Reframe your relationship to grief.

Find out why millions of people around the world have found peace of mind and deeper clarity by turning toward this sometimes difficult conversation. This is an experience that will leave you feeling uplifted and filled with life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this over.

Probably it's just me, but inspirational aphorisms don't really work for me. More often, hearing them makes me want to rebel against them. (That's probably a character fault. ;) ).

I tend to believe that my behavior can lead and shape my attitude, more than I believe the reverse. Attitude without behavior is mostly wishful thinking, for me. Don't get me wrong: Starting from behavior can still IMO involve the mind leading the body. There has to be a decision to change behavior, a commitment - that's 100% the mind. (This may be a viewpoint - or trait? - that others don't share; believing this myself isn't an express or implied criticism of anyone with different views or practices.)

Despite not being about inspirational quotes, I do have one on my MFP profile page: "Act as if". If I'd like to be at a different weight, what would my life look like? Do that. If I'd like to be fitter, what would my life look like? Do that. Doing will lead somewhere, somewhere positive if it's sensible doing. I can work hard if it's an important trajectory for me, and be open-minded about how far it can go.

Yeah, there will be uneven and possibly incompetent first steps . . . but if I commit to the behavior change, I'm more likely to read/research, learn more, try different things, improve both tactics and adherence.

That's the "incremental progress" model I mentioned early, the idea that surprisingly good outcomes can come from a small starting goal that gets revised with learning, time and progress. Personally, I don't need to believe I can reach some specific dramatic end point.

I like the focus on action. I also like a quote (song) from a movie that some others will recognize: "Don't dream it, be it." ;):D