Slimming world or My Fitness Pal......HELP

Options
whitevanman5
whitevanman5 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
dnktz1s3not6.jpg

Hello...
My name is Wayne, I'm 6ft 2in tall and nearly weigh 36 stone. Old boy here, I'm 53 years old. Really struggled with my weight for over 20 years. Not on medication (at the moment) I'm quite lucky in that respect. I've done SW for about 9 months and yes had amazing results, got down into the 31 stone bracket. But I lost my train of thought and went off the rails. And put the weight back on. So I'm probably back up to 36 stone again. Personally I don't like stepping on the scales, it really affect my mood and mind set. So this is where I am, do I stick with my remaining 3 months of SW or do I start on MFP. Yes I'm posting on here so does that sway me to start calorie counting on this app ? Just need some good advice to help me on my journey. I'm too embarrassed to join a gym, it's very difficult. So I need to look at looking at my food intake. Oh another thing, I do work full time so I'm not sat on my *kitten* claiming benefits from the state. Although I'm a van driver, so I suppose I am sitting on my arsenal....lol šŸ˜†

All advice, help any suggestions is more than welcome.

Many thanks
Wayne šŸ‘

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    Consider whether you want to continue eating the slimming world way once you've lost the weight or not. Weightloss only really sticks if you build healthy habits during weightloss thus doing something that you only do temporarily and then go back to your way of eating often means failure because you've not learned anything for maintenance afterwards. With MFP you can eat the way you want, as long as you eat your allocated calories. It very likely means you can't eat everything and in any amount, but the only punishment for, say, having a fish and chips is that it probably obliterated a substantial part of your calories for the day. I don't know how this works with SW.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I, also, am not familiar with SW, but think you can do both. Many people do Weight Watchers and still log on MFP to see the difference. It takes a while to get the hang of counting calories, so finishing out your 3 months will give you time to see the difference and move smoothly into MFP. Many people here like to exercise (you get a few more calories), but it isn't necessary to lose weight. Just start logging your food with a digital food scale, and try to fit in a daily walk, if you can.

There's a whole new life out there and changing your old habits for some new healthier ones will give you a better future.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    You're going to probably need professional help. Medical and psychological.

We can teach you how to log food, talk about healthy nutrition, but there is a psychological component that has to come from within.

To have gotten to the weight you are, you have to have been over-eating massively/compulsively for a very long time. There may be trauma from your past underlying it or a mental health issue that can be treated.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution. You've been using food as some sort of comfort or hobby or mental block, I'd guess - unless there is some physical problem. Either of them need professional help at this point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    ...also, maybe go back and re-read the other threads you posted in the past...lots of good thoughts in them.

This one is good: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10805170/im-big-35-stone-490-pounds#latest
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You say you have no medications----yet. Are you waiting for a health scare for motivation? Some people do that. Agree that therapy might help you. Some people can't lose until they do some. That's not a problem. Look for a good therapist that you click with. Keep looking if necessary.

As for your previous attempts, that's OK. Sometimes it takes multiple tries. But please get going. No time like the present. I think you know what you need to do. Embarrassment can be a crutch so don't use it to not get better.