Body Recomp & Hunger

2»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 864 Member
    edited November 2023
    What body fat level are you trying to reach? Underweight even for women usually isn't a healthy thing, unless one's body configuration (skeletal dimensions, breast size) is ustatistically pretty unusual.

Honestly, I’m not sure because I don’t know my BF %. I’d like to reduce the fat from my inner thighs that chaf and the fat roll I have on my abdomen that is much larger than it was the last time I was at this exact weight, as well as reduce the overall size of my arms for the same reason. I want to feel stronger, and as I age I’m realizing how important adding/maintaining muscle is. Since I can’t spot reduce I have to come up with a plan to reduce the fat and maintain my weight.

We can use my Renpho scale as a baseline, even though that’s a shot in the dark. It says I’m 21% BF. I doubt that.

Wrt your desired bf % being underweight, what do you mean by "underweight"? BMI? If so, yeah maybe that's going too far. It's harder to get an accurate body fat % reading, home scales are typically terrible at that.

I’m 5-9 lb away from being underweight at my current maintenance range. As for BF % it says I’m 7% above the top end of Essential fat. I really don’t know what I want my BF % to be I just want to change the shape I currently have, which is a lot less muscle than I had before kids, to be stronger & leaner. I don’t know how to do that without the nagging hunger and reduced NEAT (I’m glad that was mentioned).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,175 Member
    edited November 2023
    This makes me wonder if I should maintain for a few months before starting a new fitness adventure if you will. Or just doing something so small where it doesn’t effect my maintenance routine too much.

This is most certainly what *I* did. Probably closer to the second part (doing things that didn't affect my new maintenance routine much in either direction). Of course I was coming from a different perspective (obese) and the maintenance part was, in my mind, CRITICAL.

Basically I started from "learned helplessness" = I can't possibly lose weight and maintain the loss successfully. To: "you know, I can actually lose weight for more than a few months at a time and arrange things so that I don't give up". To: I really do need to stick the landing/there is nothing more important than the landing.

So I went into the landing fully prepared to fight the statistics. And the statistics are fairly dismal. So I can't in any way shape or form find fault with someone spending months in making sure the landing worked.

Of course I was coming from more than a year in deficit... albeit stopping at a point of significantly more plentiful energy reserves than you (i.e. my stopping is closer to where you started--and that's not even counting relative fat % between M-F). But basically it took more than a year of stable weight and maintenance eating before "I woke up one morning" and felt both mentally and physically that maintenance and my maintenance calories were my default and normal and that it was 'easier' to continue as I was. and that my hunger cues COULD be trusted.

While the standard bodybuilding cycle of leaning out and then bulking may get the best/fastest/most impressive results, to me it does NOT sound like it would be a good adventure for you.

Sometimes what's optimum is finding the right balanced way of getting where we want.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,808 Member
    edited November 2023
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have a lot of respect for your opinions, Retro, but I think you sound more like a lifting guy than an experienced cardio guy - even though you probably do some cardio (I hope).
    Thank you, and likewise back to you. You're right about me there for sure. It's a fair point to quibble about the situational stuff. I assume we know it when we see it. For example, my cardio is typically light on my indoor recumbent bike for say 40 mins at a consistent pace. I can feel fine after, not feeling any effect on hunger or NEAT. I also go out inline skating weather permitting, typically an hour, and that includes going up some short hills or slopes which takes quite a bit of effort (50's, around 215 pounds currently). I'm probably getting some HIIT in there in segments, forgive me if I'm using the wrong terms, I don't use a fitness tracker or heart rate tracker. I just know I'm huffing and puffing at times, and over time my need for brief stops is going down, and my total time for the same distance is going down. And I definitely feel more hunger and NEAT reduction after those sessions, than on my bike.
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    Here's a good example from a YouTuber I follow, Mark Lewis, with him and his wife talking about her fitness journey. This is why you don't aim to overshoot on the way down.

Key part at 15m-18m, should be time stamped. She was focused on her weight, the number on the scale, thinking she could only look better if that number went down. She started lifting and working out more. She gained 4.4 pounds while greatly improving body composition and posture, and she likes the way she looks here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXjbINwTfA&t=900s

Thanks for linking this video I’ll definitely take a look. A lot of women my age are stuck on a ridiculous number created by movies and magazines from when we were teens. It was a big deal in my generation to have the lowest number possible. I’m relieved the newer gens have shifted that thinking by quite a lot and embrace strength, curves, and food!

I’m comfortable with recomp and not a specific number. I wish I could figure out the hunger and neat issue though so I can knock out my workout and move on 😊. So much respect for the vets on this side of the fence cause this is tricky!
  • ddsb1111
    While the standard bodybuilding cycle of leaning out and then bulking may get the best/fastest/most impressive results, to me it does NOT sound like it would be a good adventure for you.

Sometimes what's optimum is finding the right balanced way of getting where we want.

No, I wouldn’t like that process, not even a little bit. Not judging what others may want to do, but I’m not a competitor, heck I’m not even an athlete! I’m okay taking my time and enjoying the process. I mean, what else am I gonna do? I’m not going anywhere… I hope.

As an aside, thank you for providing unbiased advice even though we’re on different parts of the journey. It’s pretty incredible what you’ve accomplished and I think your perspective and attitude to sticking that landing and taking your time is how I would have wanted to do it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,942 Member
    @ddsb1111, I hope you're realizing that "essential fat" is defined as the level of fat needed for healthy physiological functioning, not the amount it's essential to get down to for best health?

Some elite athletes or female body builders might get below that, either for performance reasons (less weight to propel through space) or because bodybuilders do have some compensatory extra body mass in the form of muscle.

For reference, though this is BMIs rather than BF%:

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20793992/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition/

If you're actually at 21%, that's pretty reasonable ("fitness" level of body fat on most rankings is 20-24% for women). I'm not arguing with your contention that you'd prefer to lose a bit more fat, either, just saying you may be in a good spot to start maintaining weight and building fitness.

If you want another estimate of body fat, you could run one of the online "Navy Body Fat" calculators online, such as this one:

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

It's just another estimate, not gospel, but looking at multiple free sources/estimates may give you a better feel for probable range. Another source is the visual charts (photos or drawings) of what particular body fat levels look like on women (though body configuration does matter!).

I used to have a link to one that used more measurements as input, but I can't find it just now.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,808 Member
    edited November 2023
    In case of any ambiguity, when I talked about maingaining earlier I wasn't referring to bulk/cut cycles. Say you're happy with your waist size. Lift, progressive overload, small calorie surplus, and if after some weeks you feel your waist size is going up a little, or you're getting a little softer around there (that may not happen), just return to maintenance or a slight deficit for a few weeks. That's not even a diet imo, it's just going from +0 to +200, to +0 to -200, for two or three weeks maybe.
  • AnnPT77
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Here's a good example from a YouTuber I follow, Mark Lewis, with him and his wife talking about her fitness journey. This is why you don't aim to overshoot on the way down.

Key part at 15m-18m, should be time stamped. She was focused on her weight, the number on the scale, thinking she could only look better if that number went down. She started lifting and working out more. She gained 4.4 pounds while greatly improving body composition and posture, and she likes the way she looks here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXjbINwTfA&t=900s

Thanks for linking this video I’ll definitely take a look. A lot of women my age are stuck on a ridiculous number created by movies and magazines from when we were teens. It was a big deal in my generation to have the lowest number possible. I’m relieved the newer gens have shifted that thinking by quite a lot and embrace strength, curves, and food!

I’m comfortable with recomp and not a specific number. I wish I could figure out the hunger and neat issue though so I can knock out my workout and move on 😊. So much respect for the vets on this side of the fence cause this is tricky!

I don't have any good videos to support this opinion, but my intuition from experience is that if we build up our exercise routine somewhat gradually, with attention to sufficient recovery built into the schedule, the hunger/NEAT thing will be easier to figure out and manage.

"Build up" is referring to the combination of exercise type, frequency, duration, and intensity. Unfortunately, I do think which combinations are most fatiguing or appetite-spiking is somewhat individual, and probably interacts with sleep, nutrition quality, and calorie intake . . . among other things.

IMO, too many people dive into a challenging routine all at once. For fitness development, that's not essential, maybe not even a great idea. A manageable challenge at all times, progressively building up that combination (type, frequency, etc.) as one gets fitter, seems like a better approach to me.

If we don't want to feel like we got hit by a Mack truck, maybe don't step in front of one, metaphorically speaking. ;)

A person can make amazing progress with a gradual build up, with consistency and patience, IME.
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    @AnnPT77

If you're actually at 21%, that's pretty reasonable ("fitness" level of body fat on most rankings is 20-24% for women). I'm not arguing with your contention that you'd prefer to lose a bit more fat, either, just saying you may be in a good spot to start maintaining weight and building fitness.

I’m probably 23% rather than 21% if I had to guess, but not really sure. I think I’m at a good spot for recomp. I tried that second calculator but because I don’t know my neck and other measurements it wouldn’t compute. I only have my weight and waist in inches.

A manageable challenge at all times, progressively building up that combination (type, frequency, etc.) as one gets fitter, seems like a better approach to me.

Same. I need to slow it down I guess. Maybe let fitness sneak up on me lol. I joke, but if my hunger signals are going bananas maybe I am pushing harder than I should. I need to phase this out better.

If we don't want to feel like we got hit by a Mack truck, maybe don't step in front of one, metaphorically speaking. ;)

Haha! You mean I’m not 20 and can’t do all the things all at once again! What the heck, Ann! 😂
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    Per the Runnersworld link apparently Tatyana Lysenko (hammer throw) 23.4 and I are about the same. Why no one thought to recommend the hammer throw is beyond me.
  • AnnPT77

(snip)

Haha! You mean I’m not 20 and can’t do all the things all at once again! What the heck, Ann! 😂

So how old are you? I didn't see it on a re-skim of this thread: Is it 40s someplace? If so, you've got a lot of upside. I wasn't routinely active until my late 40s, and kind of surprised myself with results of gradual build, within a short number of years. I'm not in any danger of elite status, but in decent shape, I think, at 68 y/o next week.

Dunno about you, but if I push too fast too far now, injury risk goes up, I de-train faster during the inevitable post-injury hiatus than I did when young, and it takes longer to regain the de-trained capability afterward again. Even without injury, overdoing has a bigger fatigue penalty, so wily recovery strategies are more important. There's a lot to be said, at least for me at my age, for gradual but steady progress, even if it's slow. (That was less true, I think even at age 50.)

You can accomplish things that will surprise you, I predict.
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2023
    Per the Runnersworld link apparently Tatyana Lysenko (hammer throw) 23.4 and I are about the same. Why no one thought to recommend the hammer throw is beyond me.

At one point when I was substantially overweight, I learned that the US Women's Olympic hockey team goalie was about my height and weight. I joked that all I needed to do was become an Olympic athlete . . . . :D
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(snip)

So how old are you? I didn't see it on a re-skim of this thread: Is it 40s someplace? If so, you've got a lot of upside. I wasn't routinely active until my late 40s, and kind of surprised myself with results of gradual build, within a short number of years. I'm not in any danger of elite status, but in decent shape, I think, at 68 y/o next week.

Dunno about you, but if I push too fast too far now, injury risk goes up, I de-train faster during the inevitable post-injury hiatus than I did when young, and it takes longer to regain the de-trained capability afterward again. Even without injury, overdoing has a bigger fatigue penalty, so wily recovery strategies are more important. There's a lot to be said, at least for me at my age, for gradual but steady progress, even if it's slow. (That was less true, I think even at age 50.)

You can accomplish things that will surprise you, I predict.

Just turned 42. I’m starting to feel and see it. It’s been about 10 years since I’ve been consistently active so it seems like a good time to make that a priority again. I’d be impressed with half your results. Happy early Birthday to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    I’d also be okay with being at a tiny deficit and building muscle to maintain my weight, but I didn’t think we could do that?
    [SNIP]

Re your OP, IMO you should focus on zone 2 cardio. Brisk walks, low effort cycling, that sort of thing. In my experience, strenuous cardio or a really good weights session can produce not only more hunger, but also reduced NEAT for a portion of the remainder of the day. Thus when adding say 400 exercise calories burned into MFP and thinking you can eat 400 more, but your NEAT drops by say 200, if you actually eat back all those exercise calories you'll be in a surplus. OTOH, a lower effort cardio session is easier, and doesn't result in reduced NEAT or increased hunger.

As for food, focus on protein and fiber of course to feel satiated, and help with muscle building. With weights, I find it best to plan eating around the session time into my daily totals, e.g. a snack an hour before, and soon after, both with some protein.

Yup, after snow shoeing my appetite is spiked and I'm glued to the sofa.

But usually the weather doesn't cooperate well enough for me to do it more than a few times a year, and none at all last winter.

With swimming, I have to be careful not to overdo it - about a half hour is my sweet spot - and hydrate very thoroughly immediately afterwards.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

x5te65c4dw68.png
  • ddsb1111
    kshama2001 wrote: »

x5te65c4dw68.png

kwsh32l605oo.gif
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 90 Member
    The only way to know is to eat that amount and experiment.

BUT but but - any time I lower calories I struggle for about a week...then the gnaw-my-arm-off hunger subsides. Stay the course.

AND and and - more protein and fiber are the key for me. Lots of vegetables and fruit. 4-6 servings a day. I also have to cut back on wheat and sugar when I cut calories or I tend to do nothing but worry about my next meal.

Ditto all of this.