Body Recomp & Hunger

13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

(snip)

Haha! You mean I’m not 20 and can’t do all the things all at once again! What the heck, Ann! 😂

So how old are you? I didn't see it on a re-skim of this thread: Is it 40s someplace? If so, you've got a lot of upside. I wasn't routinely active until my late 40s, and kind of surprised myself with results of gradual build, within a short number of years. I'm not in any danger of elite status, but in decent shape, I think, at 68 y/o next week.

Dunno about you, but if I push too fast too far now, injury risk goes up, I de-train faster during the inevitable post-injury hiatus than I did when young, and it takes longer to regain the de-trained capability afterward again. Even without injury, overdoing has a bigger fatigue penalty, so wily recovery strategies are more important. There's a lot to be said, at least for me at my age, for gradual but steady progress, even if it's slow. (That was less true, I think even at age 50.)

You can accomplish things that will surprise you, I predict.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    edited November 2023
    Per the Runnersworld link apparently Tatyana Lysenko (hammer throw) 23.4 and I are about the same. Why no one thought to recommend the hammer throw is beyond me.

At one point when I was substantially overweight, I learned that the US Women's Olympic hockey team goalie was about my height and weight. I joked that all I needed to do was become an Olympic athlete . . . . :D
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 850 Member
    edited November 2023
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(snip)

Haha! You mean I’m not 20 and can’t do all the things all at once again! What the heck, Ann! 😂

So how old are you? I didn't see it on a re-skim of this thread: Is it 40s someplace? If so, you've got a lot of upside. I wasn't routinely active until my late 40s, and kind of surprised myself with results of gradual build, within a short number of years. I'm not in any danger of elite status, but in decent shape, I think, at 68 y/o next week.

Dunno about you, but if I push too fast too far now, injury risk goes up, I de-train faster during the inevitable post-injury hiatus than I did when young, and it takes longer to regain the de-trained capability afterward again. Even without injury, overdoing has a bigger fatigue penalty, so wily recovery strategies are more important. There's a lot to be said, at least for me at my age, for gradual but steady progress, even if it's slow. (That was less true, I think even at age 50.)

You can accomplish things that will surprise you, I predict.

Just turned 42. I’m starting to feel and see it. It’s been about 10 years since I’ve been consistently active so it seems like a good time to make that a priority again. I’d be impressed with half your results. Happy early Birthday to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I’d also be okay with being at a tiny deficit and building muscle to maintain my weight, but I didn’t think we could do that?
    [SNIP]

Re your OP, IMO you should focus on zone 2 cardio. Brisk walks, low effort cycling, that sort of thing. In my experience, strenuous cardio or a really good weights session can produce not only more hunger, but also reduced NEAT for a portion of the remainder of the day. Thus when adding say 400 exercise calories burned into MFP and thinking you can eat 400 more, but your NEAT drops by say 200, if you actually eat back all those exercise calories you'll be in a surplus. OTOH, a lower effort cardio session is easier, and doesn't result in reduced NEAT or increased hunger.

As for food, focus on protein and fiber of course to feel satiated, and help with muscle building. With weights, I find it best to plan eating around the session time into my daily totals, e.g. a snack an hour before, and soon after, both with some protein.

Yup, after snow shoeing my appetite is spiked and I'm glued to the sofa.

But usually the weather doesn't cooperate well enough for me to do it more than a few times a year, and none at all last winter.

With swimming, I have to be careful not to overdo it - about a half hour is my sweet spot - and hydrate very thoroughly immediately afterwards.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Per the Runnersworld link apparently Tatyana Lysenko (hammer throw) 23.4 and I are about the same. Why no one thought to recommend the hammer throw is beyond me.

x5te65c4dw68.png
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 850 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

x5te65c4dw68.png

kwsh32l605oo.gif
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 88 Member
    The only way to know is to eat that amount and experiment.

BUT but but - any time I lower calories I struggle for about a week...then the gnaw-my-arm-off hunger subsides. Stay the course.

AND and and - more protein and fiber are the key for me. Lots of vegetables and fruit. 4-6 servings a day. I also have to cut back on wheat and sugar when I cut calories or I tend to do nothing but worry about my next meal.

Ditto all of this.