What if your friend at work told on you?

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
Here’s the scenario:

You’re close with a person in your department. You’re good friends outside of work; know each other’s families, etc. At work, you work closely together, your work effects theirs and vice versa. One day you’re reviewing something your friend did, and it’s wrong. It’s not the first time you’ve come across this, you find errors all the time. You don’t say anything, you just correct it. The time comes for your friend to review something of yours, they find an error and they don’t do what you did, they actually tell the boss. You end up getting reprimanded which takes away from the amount of quarterly bonus you get. Would you be mad? Would you then go back and tell on them for the things you let slide? Would you confront them about it? What would you do?

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    LOL

I have a file of errors my cowroker has done in my office. I don't tell on her, but if I were put in this situation, I have some ammo to use.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would start taking the errors to the boss as she has.... don't mention that you weren't unless there is "balcklash". But what is fair is fair.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Depends.... did hte errors you corrected of hers affect her bonus or anyone elses?
    Without all the details, its really not just a case of tell or don't tell.... it depends who else it affects and how much money.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't seek revenge by pointing out past errors. But I would start reporting all of that person's errors instead of correcting them myself. Turnabout is fair play.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    well for starters, fixing the occasional error she makes is fine. But if its a repeated issue - talk to her about it and get it resolved. Maybe she really didnt know?
    But telling on you is kind of lame. Youre adults. Nothing you cant bring up to eachother first since you work as a team. Now if it was something shes told you again and again and you just leave off for the sake of "shes my friend - she'll deal" then I can see the tattling being a little more necessary.
    Sucks about the bonus though!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would stop correcting her work. She probably has no idea you fix her errors. Rude awakening on the horizon! At this point in time, it has nothing to do with your friendship but with your money. And thou shall not mess with thy $$$$$$!

5499814.png
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    I would start taking the errors to the boss as she has.... don't mention that you weren't unless there is "balcklash". But what is fair is fair.

Agreed.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    A) what would YOU do or have you done? B) regardless of what she did to me, I would bring it to her attention to give her a chance try to sort out, rather than rat her out.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't seek revenge by pointing out past errors. But I would start reporting all of that person's errors instead of correcting them myself. Turnabout is fair play.

Same here!
  • Wooogirlem
    Options
    I wouldn't tell her or anyone else that you have been cleaning up her errors-just start making a regular note of it and notifying your supervisor just as she did from this point forward. She didn't hesitate to toss you under a rolling wheel.

But...don't harbor any ill will because that is the worst thing you could ever do. Forgive and move on, but change your process :)
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    And thou shall not mess with thy $$$$$$!

This!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'd confront them (outside of work) and likely end the relationship as it is becoming burdensome at work. From then on I would behave in a professional manner following company protocol in regard to errors and reporting.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don't tell on her.

She is your friend and you have to continue working with her. Since you aren't severing these ties, you don't want to make the situation worse.

You need to explain to her how upset you are at what she did. Explain to her what you do in order to help her out when she makes mistakes. Ask her to have some common courtesy in return.

maybe it's just that you are so fabulous, that this is the first mistake of yours she has come across and she didn't know what to do about it and how talking to the boss would affect you personally and financially
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Confront. Next time your friend makes an error leave it. look after number 1.
  • GiseleLKennedy
    Options
    I would talk to her about it, but you cant really expect people to behave as you do. You just know what category to put her in and maybe it is time to pull back. It is NEVER a good idea to be friends with coworkers. You cant address the past, however, moving forward? It would be a total shredding. Just make sure what you think are errors are true errors and that you really are on top of YOUR game.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would have been telling my co-worker at the time that there was this & that error & have them correct it & ask them to do the same for you. By covering for this person they now think they are better at their job than you are & seem to have no loyalty to you at all. I would be scaling back on the friendship in & out of work too.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    LOL

I have a file of errors my cowroker has done in my office. I don't tell on her, but if I were put in this situation, I have some ammo to use.

And crap like THIS is why so many marriages don't work. Seriously, why can't most women forgive and forget? (I realize this was a coworker, but its the same type of thing)

To the OP: TALK to her. Getting snarky doesn't help anything. If she stabs you again then its time to rethink the friendship.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you're friends outside the office, you should talk to her about it. Otherwise, you're the bad friend.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would have been letting the co-worker/friend know that I had made a correction for them so that it wouldn't happen again.

How can someone correct a mistake or bad behavior or anything if they genuinely don't know it's happening?
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would be mad. As a professional courtesy (not to mention the friend code) he/she could have, and should have, come to you and said 'Hey I found this error.' What he or she did was inconsiderate. I don't think I would go to the boss and say 'Here are all the past mistakes that he or she made' because then that reflects poorly on you. You look like a whiner and that's not fair to you. I hate confrontation, but I think I would just say something to your friend. Say 'You know, I understand that we all make mistakes, but I would have appreciated it if you had come to me first. There have been plenty of times where I've found errors in your work and I've fixed the problem to avoid problems for you. I'm not asking you to do the same for me, because that would involve more work on your part, but the least you could have done is point it out to me and given me the chance to fix my own mistakes.' Then leave it at that. And for the record, I would also STOP fixing their mistakes. That's not your job and you're not getting paid to do two jobs, just your own. :wink: