60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    judefit1 wrote: »
    Hi- just returning to MFP after a year. after regaining the 20 lbs I lost 2 years ago... I am 66 and need to get a handle on the yoyo that I keep doing to myself. I'm glad I found this group, I need accountability!

Welcome back, and while yoyoing is never good, at least you stopped the regain before putting on any more!

In the past, I would yoyo ever higher, which is why this time it is FOR LIFE.

You know what to do - now find a way to do it that hurts the least lol 😅
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey, @ridiculous59, my first dragon boat race finally happened today: Very fun.

It was a charity event, just 3 races (heats), around 250-300m, so pretty much pure sprint. Low calorie expenditure, somewhat higher fatigue factor, pretty darned fun.

Our team - which was all women, lots of newbies, and an ad hoc pickup team that doesn't practice other than at the event - finished at 5 out of 10 teams. I don't feel bad about that. In the top 4 were 2 teams that have boats and practice regularly, plus a team formed around a fitness center. (Ours was formed around the local Women's Center, which was also the beneficiary of the event's proceeds.)

It was fun. I put a high value on fun active stuff. :) I'm happy.

Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it!! My DB club used to have two different nights of paddling; one was more serious for the more competitive minded people (I liked it because it was a real workout) and the other evening was purely fun and recreational. We'd paddle across the lake to see what was going on in the eagle nests, check out whatever birds were on their way through, etc. It was still exercise, but less intense. After COVID we ended up with lots of new paddlers coming out (a reason to celebrate!) so now both evenings, for the most part, are recreational. If the desire is there from some of the newbies to kick it up, then we'll go back to two different evenings next season. But either way, I just love being out on the water, using my body, and being part of a team-type activity. Rowing must give you those same feelings too 🙂
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 You wouldn't want to be rowing here now (Colorado); it started snowing, but we shouldn't be getting much. It was sunny and in the 60s yesterday. We'll only get into the high 50s next week, but of course, we have that amazingly hot Colorado sun, so it feels hotter outside. (Yes, I do realize that it sounds a bit possessive of the sun!).

Sorry to hear of the osteoporosis coming back; I was diagnosed with mild osteopenia last year. I have a question or two for you, if you don't mind. You worded that osteoporosis came back in some areas, not others. Do you get different/more extensive testing/scans than the typical every 2-years dexa scan of one hip? If you do, is it because you previously have been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Nothing more than curiosity, I guess. Thanks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 You wouldn't want to be rowing here now (Colorado); it started snowing, but we shouldn't be getting much. It was sunny and in the 60s yesterday. We'll only get into the high 50s next week, but of course, we have that amazingly hot Colorado sun, so it feels hotter outside. (Yes, I do realize that it sounds a bit possessive of the sun!).

Sorry to hear of the osteoporosis coming back; I was diagnosed with mild osteopenia last year. I have a question or two for you, if you don't mind. You worded that osteoporosis came back in some areas, not others. Do you get different/more extensive testing/scans than the typical every 2-years dexa scan of one hip? If you do, is it because you previously have been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Nothing more than curiosity, I guess. Thanks.

The place where I go for scans does a DXA to assess density of lumbar spine, femur neck, femur, plus some new thing that assessed bone quality (not just density). They hold a follow-up appointment with me where they go over the results in detail, and give me a multi-page report with statistical results (i.e., my status compared with norms and the diagnostic criteria for osteoporosis/osteopenia). It also has some imaging from the bone quality assessment.

The practitioner (I think she's a PA, but maybe an NP) spends a lot of time with me, going over the report in detail, plus discussing issues of exercise, diet, etc. She also answers any questions I have about medication options (and she actually listened to me that I prefer more-frequent oral meds over less-frequent infusions!).

I'm recommended scans every 2 years now, which I do think is because of my history of osteopenia. In my case, we believe that at least some of the cause was side effects of chemotherapy and anti-estrogen medications for breast cancer. Besides direct effects of those things, I went into menopause early, at 45, triggered by the chemotherapy. Possibly hypothyroidism, or the treatment for it, haven't helped.

The practice where I go for this has a specialty in osteoporosis. From discussing this with friends around here, I think I get more in-depth assessment and information than they've gotten from other sources.

I wouldn't so much say that my osteopenia came back, as that when I was previously on bisphosphonates (for 4 years), my osteopenia improved enough that I was able to go off the medication (and it's preferred for patients who can to go off the meds for a period of time after 4 years, besides).

That was quite a while ago. I went in for a re-scan right before the pandemic (2020), but didn't do the follow-up appointment because of lockdown cautions. They gave me the written report, and I could see that the osteopenia had worsened even then. My primary care wanted me to go for a re-scan now, so I did. This one showed that my spine had actually improved a tiny bit since 2020 (still over the line into osteopenia), but femurs are substantially worse, enough to meet the osteoporosis definition. In addition, the bone quality in that area ("FRAX score") is pretty bad. The report says I have a 16.4% statistical risk of a major osteoporotic fracture in the next 10 years.

The printed report also includes some exercise and daily activity dos and don'ts to avoid fractures; useful info about foods and supplements; and other info.

I hope that may be helpful. :)
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    annliz23 wrote: »
    I'm 57 but married to a 69 year old if you want to add me for support!

Having trouble adding friends (maybe my security settings? I try and try), but if you'd like to add me I'd be happy.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No idea how old I am but suspect my birth certificate would say something that sounds very high to me! I just rejoined this week and am happy to have people friend me since somehow the friend function is not working for me. I am able to accept friend requests but it doesn't show me where to send them--probably security settings or something. Good luck to all!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thanks for the information; I appreciate it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday morning to you all, just wanted to say hello. It's a rainy day here but not cold. Glad I got my walk with the dogs in this morning before the rain. Today is a no excuse day to do some much needed cleaning/organizing...I spend more time outdoors so don't get around to doing much besides maintenance & cooking housewise
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Speaking of getting older, yesterday was my birthday (#68).

My birthday gift seems to have been a head cold, so today I asked for a rain check on going out for lunch with a friend until the symptoms clear up.

Other than that, I don't have any big news.

I did finally face facts that on-water rowing is over for this season (cold, rainy, windy . . . persistently), so I sent out an email to the group I coordinate for morning rowing, and announced that. :'(

Last evening, I did my first rowing machine workout of my Winter-ish season, 3 x 2 kilometers with some slow rowing between and a cool-down. It's just not as much fun as on water rowing. :| But I need to used to some routine volume: Holiday Challenge starts next week.

How's everyone doing?

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday all!

@AnnPT77 I hope you get over your cold soon. I hear the disappointment in your voice about ending your rowing season. My dragon boat season has ended so until there's enough snow for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing I'll be at deep water running class and spin class. Neither are as much fun as being outdoors though.

Regarding getting older: Years ago I worked with an older guy and whenever anyone asked how he was doing his response was "Well, I'm on the right side of the grass!". Now I'm older and every so often I catch myself saying that. And cringe haha

Exercising is going well. So far the month I've averaged over 10,000 steps per day and that doesn't count my pool time (my Fitbit isn't water resistant) or my spin class. I also do some yoga and strength training too. Food is always a struggle though *sigh*
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Good Morning my gloriously well seasoned compatriots! Checking in to say hello. Had the annual wellness physical last week. Blood work OK and physician had no concerns. So, I guess this healthy living thing is paying some dividends. The holidays are upon us with all the hustle and bustle that is implied. We’re traveling for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, as the oldest is hosting us for Thanksgiving and the youngest is hosting us for Christmas. The big prize will be spending time with the grandkids, so yay to that. Hope you-all are doing well! And remember, we’re not just getting older, we’re getting… oh heck, we might as well just admit it… we’re getting older… 🤣

Getting older is better than . . . not getting older, eh? ;)

Hey Ann! Yes, getting older is waaaay better than the alternative. Hope you beat your cold soon. Seems like a lot of respiratory crud as well as covid going around this fall.

• KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all from Southern California where we got our first autumn rain. But we will be getting ferocious Santa Ana winds the first of the week. Many of our devastating wildfire happen during the holiday season.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all! And happy birthday, Ann.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Speaking of getting older, yesterday was my birthday (#68).

Happy {Belated} Birthday to you Ann. Hope you had a good one despite the head cold.

I am amazed that you were still rowing outside this late into the year. Would think you've already seen some snow flurries up there. That is some dedication!

Happy Thanksgiving, too.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    7knfdrub11e6.jpg
    I spent yesterday doing trail maintenance, mostly cutting back a plant called dog hobble.
    AnnPT77 today is my birthday
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I hope you have an excellent birthday, @tnh2o!

And bless you for doing trail maintenance. If that's Leucothoe fontanesiana, I grow that as an ornamental (the 'rainbow' cultivar). It's not invasive here, in fact, only marginally robust. It looks like it behaves otherwise where you are!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Happy late birthday @AnnPT77 . I am sorry you have a cold. My favorite thing at the gym was the rowing machine but I had to stop because my arms/shoulder was getting achy due to a pinched nerve I had. The PT said after you have one the area is weak & there's a chance it could happen again & it was very painful. I put a freeze on my gym membership. I've been going for about 35yrs but I needed a break & I've developed a few other physical issues so my main exercise is daily walking(my dogs) & I do some strength training with YouTube but I'm happy with that for now. Today is a beautiful sunny & a little windy day in Central California. Wish it would stay like this all the time. I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving. I always loved Thanksgiving. I loved cooking everything & having a yummy meal with everyone. We've raised 4 kids who are grown & have kids. two live in town so We usually have dinner with one of them & the other son has dinner with his in laws. I'm fortunate that our son who we see the most & eats "healthy" so I don't have to worry too much about temptation. He does the cooking for his wife & 2 kids & has a smoker he uses often, however, his MIL cooks the best Mexican food. They have a home gym and they use it every day too. He's smoking a turkey this year. I also go to a faith based group meeting every month which includes a potluck. I've learned to be pretty picky in what foods I eat which are the ones I like the most & leave the rest so I'm not too concerned about an abundance of calories although it will be more than usual but with foods I like. One day really doesn't matter anyway. What are some of your plans?