Anyone over 59?

Options
Hi! My name is Anna ! My husband and I joined this platform 2 months ago and we are having a great time with great results! However we cannot find relatable themes or discussion here, with people over 59! Anyone care to comment as to why?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Will be 60 in January. Also am a Certified PT who interacts with the community here for over 12 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I'm 68, joined at 59, lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight in just under a year, maintaining weight in a healthy range for 7+ years since.

There are quite a few 59+ people here in the Community, IME.

What themes do you think need discussion that aren't being addressed? Maybe start a thread in the related topic area.

Wishing you continuing success!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Strange, there are several threads running for over 60. I, myself, am 68 and post fairly often. I agree that if you have a specific interest, you should create a thread. We'll be anxious to help.
  • marie19781
    marie19781 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m in my 60’s.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,921 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of us are older. Maybe we're just young at heart so you didn't recognize us.
    😆
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Scroll through the threads. Familiarize yourself with the boards. There’s tons of threads on all the boards.

I started at 56, lost nearly 100, currently 61 and in maintenance with 80 lost. I intentionally increased my weight goal to accommodate for added muscle.

My husband, 68, is also on MFP for the past couple years and has lost enough weight to come off diabetes meds, although he hates to weigh and won’t share his numbers with me. (We were schedule to go to New Zealand in 2020, before he began, and he’s still upset he was too heavy for a helicopter ride. He hasn’t shared since.) he could also come off a couple other meds, but is hesitant to do so, he’s been on them so long.

The old greyheaded possums are out here, you just have to do a little board mining.
  • Julesbg63
    Julesbg63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 this year. Sticking with MFP as it seems to be the best thing to help me with my newly diagnosed T2 diabetes. I’ve cut out most carbs and find sticking to my allowance really easy now 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Lots and lots of us are older. Maybe we're just young at heart so you didn't recognize us.
    😆

That's a good point, at least metaphorically.

To me, it seems like losing weight is about the same kind of a process for anyone of any age range, no matter what gloom and doom the blogosphere may be spreading about various subgroups (in order to sell magic solutions to those subgroups' "problems", mostly).

In my experience of more than 8 years here, it seems like people have more in common (so can help each other along) than is different between groups, and that differences are largely individual.

For sure, the psychological factors occur across the age spectrum, maybe things like comfort food, bored eating, sometimes even true uncontrollable binge eating.

Sure, at our age, we're statistically more likely to have some health conditions, limitations, aches and pains. But some of the young'uns have those things, too.

Sure, some of us may have a somewhat lower calorie budget than when we were 20 . . . but for various reasons, that lowered budget can be true for some of the younger folks, too. (Partly, that's because at least some of the factors that can result in lower calorie needs at older ages are things that we can change, and increase our calorie budget.

It's great that you're reaching out to find people in your age group, and there are lots of us . . . but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind and engage with the all-ages discussions here. I've learned some good things and gotten some excellent support from people here who are decades younger than I am. We may have more life experience, but sometimes those younger are more aware of new approaches and technologies that can help us, or have enlighteningly different perspectives on a challenge.

IMO, you can belong in pretty much all the threads and groups, even at "over 59".

P.S. I'm kind of curious about the phrase "over 59". Is being 60+ difficult to talk about in some way? Speaking as (so far) a cancer survivor, I feel like every year is cause for celebration; and I feel better now than I did in my 40s, hands down.
  • marie19781
    marie19781 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anna, do you like walking/ jogging? 5K races ( go to the or virtual). It’s all about the shirt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi! My name is Anna ! My husband and I joined this platform 2 months ago and we are having a great time with great results! However we cannot find relatable themes or discussion here, with people over 59! Anyone care to comment as to why?

Hi Ann! Welcome :smiley:

Have you been hanging out in the Social Corner forums? Plenty of people 50s and up in the main boards. I'm 57. But my picture is of a 3 yo cat :lol:
  • deadenddiva
    deadenddiva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 70. I need to lose 45 pounds for the sake of my knees and my a1c level. I am delighted to be here (again.) I am planning on a camping trip in the desert in February, and I need to get my stamina back. I retired and stopped moving, but where there is life there is hope :)