Just how important is protein now?

Options
Hi!

I've reached my goal weight (30 kg/66 lbs down, yay) and am now trying to find my maintenance calories, which is taking a while, but that's fine.

I know protein is important for weight loss and also for building muscle. It's also really "in" right now and there are high protein versions of many foods in the grocery store. I already buy these because I have a huge problem reaching even the lowest protein goals without them. Even if I eat two protein bars and a protein-rich (for my standards) lunch, I can't get even half the protein I'm supposed to be getting (according to online calculators).

I'm vegetarian (no meat or fish but yes dairy and eggs), which is obviously the problem here. :')

I'm now neither trying to lose weight nor trying to build much extra muscle/working out. Do I really need more than 40 - 60 g of protein per day? For the life of me, I can't reach anything above 60 g despite going over my calories for the day and eating "high protein" food variants (high protein yoghurts or puddings, high protein chips, protein bars). Most calculators recommended 120+ g, I set MDL to "only" 97, which is still unreachable for me.

I tried to google this, but every site assumes I'm trying to either lose weight still or trying to really build up muscle/change my body fat/etc.

For reference, this is for ~1450 daily calories (I'm still slowly increasing to find my maintenance level) and I now weigh 58 kg/128 lbs at 1.66 m/5'5".

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    If your food diary were open, people might take a look and be able to give better feedback. In the meantime, here's some basic things to think about:
    • Protein requirements are guidelines; there is some debate about how much you need.
    • You also need complete protein, which for sure you can get even without eating dairy or egg, but you're way ahead of the game if you add dairy and egg as far as all your amino acids.
    • The most basic guidance is 0.8 grams of protein per Kg of body mass. That means for a 58 Kg person, you'd want to aim for a little less than 47 grams.
    • Some people provide guidance of 1.2 grams of protein per Kg. That would be closer to 70 grams of protein, but that 1.2 gram guidance is for LEAN BODY MASS, not total body mass. Unless you have an idea of your fat mass and lean mass, that guidance can be misleading.

I am sure you'll get much better information than this, but it's a starting spot.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Agree with the last post. I’m not veggie but I don’t eat a huge amount of meat. I supplement with quite a lot of protein powder. I guess it’s not ideal, but I’m not shooting for an ideal diet, just a reasonably balanced one. So I have 2 shakes a day. Water, whey protein and frozen fruit.
    I also mix whey into Greek yoghurt. I find this approach means I make 100 g a day of protein without too much much effort. I’m 135 pounds so that’s ok for me.
  • momlongerwalk
    momlongerwalk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would say "it's not easy" to get the protein at this level of calories--I'm in the same boat there. I work out a lot (play tennis, hike, too), and I seem to never keep up, even though I'm omnivorous. I will say lean protein goes a lonnng way toward remaining satisfied with a healthier (read: low saturated fat, low sugar) intake. If my protein intake dives, my ability to be smart about my food choices plummets as well.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're comfortable with your approach.

It looks like you're doing OK on protein. Keep sticking to it!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    protein is important to maintain muscle, not just build it.

i'm a vegetarian, 5'4" and female, and my goal is to build muscle, so i eat a lot of protein (i try to keep it over 140 grams per day). when i wasn't building, i tried to keep it to at least 75 grams per day, so i ate a lot of greek yogurt, egg whites, protein shakes and soy beans. lately i've been lazy, so protein bars and protein powder figure largely in my diet... i notice when i drop below that 140 grams, my recovery is slower.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein powder but they’re not all the same. Muscle Milk has one I order online that has 50 grams of protein for 300 calories. That’s how I reach my 100 G protein goal every day.