For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I always like seeing the Brussel Sprouts on a stalk. ☺️

I was trying to identify the whiteish root veggies next to them, there was no sign…

kscax5rkrlac.jpeg

Definitely jicama. It's been unavailable around here lately. So sad. Definitely NOT rutabaga. They are in season here, and I've been enjoying them. They are more oblong than flat; they have a smooth whitish skin rather than rough and brown. There's a chance it's celeriac. Usually though that has some little root things sticking off from it. It's been available here lately; maybe I should get some as an alternative to jicama.

I've really really been enjoying grated raw golden beets in my salads lately. So good. If I had some jicama, it would go in there too.

Any of the celeriac we get here is much more bumpy and knotty than that. I considered celeriac, but rejected it on that basis. Maybe they're a bit different regionally though. I did a web search, and there's definitely variability. Ours are usually on the knottier-looking end of the scale. (I have one of those in the fridge, too: I should eat that, too!)

I say that in part because I think many of the rutabaga here are somewhat more flattened, though others are indeed more oblong as you say. Suspicion: We have a lot of heavy soil hereabouts (clay content, usually). Many root veg don't grow as big vertically in this soil, need to struggle for root growth, compared to a more ideal sandy loam kind of soils. The photo below is from a web site (realthekitchenandbeyond), but closer to what I'm talking about:

rutabaga-cut-open.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are good. I knew my produce peeps would know veggie trivia better than anyone else. 😉

Lately I keep finding all these vegetables at the store with no labels. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Enjoy the rutabega and golden beets!! @AnnPT77 & @mtaratoot

Thanks! 🙏🏻
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Not celeriac?
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Just for fun, here are the rutabaga and celeriac that are currently in my fridge (both locally grown), in their most jicama-looking orientation. (Forgot to put in a "for scale" thing, but that's a normal paper towel pattern.)

auxhihoqin8j.jpg

Here is what the same ones look like more characteristically oriented:

77v0k07ozzfd.jpg

If you've never eaten one or the other or both, get some. They're good.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

That first picture doesn't look at ALL like a rutabaga. Odd indeed. Of course it also doesn't look like the jicama that @SafariGalNYC was wondering about.

The last two times I bought rutabaga, the cashier asked either, "What is this? Is it a turnip?" I get to explain that they are sometimes called Swedish turnips, but they are milder than turnips and they are really good roasted and some people like to mash them with potatoes or on their own and....

I was planning on cooking some rutabaga today, but a friend just dropped off some "excess" produce from her CSA, and there's some potatoes in there that really need to be cooked soon. One is rotting, so it will go to the compost. Rutabaga later in the week. I wonder if I should try to freeze some of my cornbread for later. Maybe I will if I cook potatoes.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @mtaratoot, yes, one of the ways we ate rutabaga when I was growing up was mashed in together with potatoes. :) The other was in pasties, which my mother made only rarely.
    @AnnPT77

That first picture doesn't look at ALL like a rutabaga. Odd indeed. Of course it also doesn't look like the jicama that @SafariGalNYC was wondering about.
    (snip)

Indeed. I swear those are the same two veggies in both pictures, just oriented differently (obviously I also accidentally flipped my phone over between the two photos, so they switched sides). Our local rutabagas here are nearly always more round-ish to oval-ish, not longer (more turnip-y looking) like I see in some photos online.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Mmm. Pasties. I should make some of THOSE.

I worked with a fellow that grew up in Michigan. He told me about pasties. There used to be a shop locally that made them and sold them at a weekly market (next city south of here) and sold them frozen in one of our local grocery stores. I miss them.

At some point I learned that historically people didn't eat the crust! What?!?! Yep. They were lunch foods for miners. The crust would keep the filling warm, and they would keep the miners warm too. Then when it was time to eat, they'd bust 'em open with their filthy dirty hands and eat the filling out and discard the now filthy crust.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Mmm. Pasties. I should make some of THOSE.

I worked with a fellow that grew up in Michigan. He told me about pasties. There used to be a shop locally that made them and sold them at a weekly market (next city south of here) and sold them frozen in one of our local grocery stores. I miss them.

At some point I learned that historically people didn't eat the crust! What?!?! Yep. They were lunch foods for miners. The crust would keep the filling warm, and they would keep the miners warm too. Then when it was time to eat, they'd bust 'em open with their filthy dirty hands and eat the filling out and discard the now filthy crust.

I'm a little skeptical. My paternal grandfather worked for a mining company for a time in his young adulthood in Michigan's upper peninsula, copper and iron country then, though he mostly worked above ground. That's how pasties entered my family foodways - even though that family was hardcore Scandinavian and IMU pasties were of Cornish origin there. My whole family ate the crusts, and no one ever said anything about the miners doing otherwise. Those were less fastidious days, but I suspect the pasties could've been wrapped in a cloth or some newspaper and eaten crust and all, reasonably hygienically. Folks were poor, and flour cost money. Maybe true, maybe myth, not sure.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I saw some celariac today in a grocery. I wonder if it's been there all along because it was hiding behind some stacks of fresh local cranberries and also because there were soft spots on the outside. I opted not to buy any because of the soft spots. I wonder if they were more visible if they'd stay fresher. I might walk over to the other local store and see if they have any crisp stuff.

And, just for grins, I snapped pictures of celariac (with the yellow tape), rutabaga (second image with a more brownish skin) and turnip (last picture with whiter skin).

Now you'll be able to tell the difference.

I didn't take a picture of the jicama because we've determined that's what @SafariGalNYC had included a picture of when she asked about it on Sunday and started us down this path to get to the ROOT of the matter.

03f0z6ywj5b1.jpg

rab1m3nbq19c.jpg

lhcmbew49bbd.jpg
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    My latest obsession is invisible apple cake... don't go there.. you may go insane!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I’m in Bangkok and bought some mangosteen and water apple. I have never had water apple before. Do I just slice it up and eat it? The glossy skin feels slightly sticky, as if leaking sugar.rrni8l6mrobe.jpeg
    0w82h962lq50.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    widgit808 wrote: »
    I blame the brown color of broth on the mushrooms 😉

I love mushrooms; I bet a lot of that color is from the better-that-bullion. I find it adds color when I use it. Flavor too.

• widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    widgit808 wrote: »
    I blame the brown color of broth on the mushrooms 😉

I love mushrooms; I bet a lot of that color is from the better-that-bullion. I find it adds color when I use it. Flavor too.

@mtaratoot No better-than bullion in the soup, by btb i meant bring to boil. But i do agree better than boullion adds a lot of flavor, i used to use it back in the day before i had to worry about sodium
  • acpgee
    Options
    New vegetable for me in a restaurant on Koh Tao that does some local island dishes. Langia leaf could be ordered stir fried with egg or boiled in coconut milk. At home I would probably substitute spinach or watercress in either recipe, assuming I can find them online.
    7gcah11vxhfm.jpeg