Is it possible to be a size 2 at 5"8

Options
2»

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't use a clothing size as your goal, especially in the US. Women's sizing varies wildly depending on the brand. I'm really jealous of men's sizing, which uses numbers that actually mean something.

<snip>

In short, these numbers mean nothing.

You might be surprised that men's clothing has suffered the same issues of late. It is true that when I buy pants, the number is ~supposed~ to represent an actual measurement. One handy thing many of us do is actually take measurements. You'd think that a size 32 waist would fit someone who's waist is.... 32 inches. Well, I bought some shorts in that size that would fall off of me. It's possible they were mislabeled. I once bought a long-sleeve top for kayaking. The tag said L/S on it, but it had short sleeves. I guess that happens.

I have two pair of Carhartt pants. The one that has a smaller size is bigger than the one with a larger size number. The smaller sized ones are too big for me. The larger size actually fits.

I think that shirt measurements are probably still correct - neck circumference and sleeve length. If you know those measurements, you can even buy clothes from a thrift store without trying them on if they have that kind of measurements.

It's even worse with sizes that aren't numbers - like S, M, and L. At the thrift shop, I have to guess how old a garment is to know what those letters mean. There's no way I should wear size small pants, yet if they're modern, that's the size that usually fits. Between sizes in shirts makes nothing fit right. Oh well. I don't dress to impress - just to stay warm.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Don't think so unless you're really skinny with no muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AZAlyssa
    AZAlyssa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8", carry my weight in my midsection, and wear an 8. My stick-thin daughter is an inch or so shorter and wears a 4 and they are loose. Her BMI was below the charts low last year and her Dr. was concerned enough to suggest medication. That has since been corrected for her, but I truly cannot imagine a grown adult at my height fitting into a 2. That's eating disorder territory, IMO.
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    AZAlyssa wrote: »
    I'm 5"8", carry my weight in my midsection, and wear an 8. My stick-thin daughter is an inch or so shorter and wears a 4 and they are loose. Her BMI was below the charts low last year and her Dr. was concerned enough to suggest medication. That has since been corrected for her, but I truly cannot imagine a grown adult at my height fitting into a 2. That's eating disorder territory, IMO.

You make a good point, I had never considered how where we carry our weight can impact how clothes fit too.