For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mrsstoll2016
    mrsstoll2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Like SpicyWater I am vegetarian in a small community in Western PA so my options are limited but I do eat some form of fruits or vegetables on a daily basis (even if it's just frozen)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    We stumbled across the Bangkok edition of Din Tai Fun, an international chain purveying Taiwanese food. Less exorbitant than the London branch and I couldn’t resist stopping in for my favourite vegetable. Stir fried pea shoots topped with shrimp. I grow pea shoots but never harvest enough to make this dish.
    b4pdtldxderc.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I had another huge salad today. Assorted greens. Carrots. Shredded golden beets. Red onion. Very lightly dressed. Added nutritional yeast, fresh ground black pepper, and sesame seeds. I finally remembered to open a can of anchovies and chop half of 'em up. I poured half of the fishy oil in too. Good stuff.

Tri-color quinoa will be off the stove soon. I am skipping the roasted vegetables tonight.

I also started soaking some black beans and myocoba beans to cook tomorrow.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I imitated a dish we had at a restaurant on Friday. Caprese salad where layers of tomato were replaced by beetroot between thin slices of fresh mozzarella. At the restaurant the veg was topped with anchovy but at home we used smoked salmon.
    b9808z0vwttd.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    edited January 12
    Options
    Jicama!!!!

I found it! Well, I found some that wasn't sad and soft. I had found some at a higher end grocery, but it was hidden behind some other produce, there were only a few of them out, and they really didn't look or feel that good.

There's another grocery across town not far from my gym that's more of a budget store. I go there every few months (or more often) for shelf-stable things. Better-than-bullion is three bucks instead of seven. Canned fish is much cheaper, although there's just a few that I get there, but that's another story. Nancy's yogurt and cottage cheese are a lot more affordable than anywhere else in town. Bulk items like rolled oats, rye, and dried beans are SO much less expensive. Same with produce; for things that I don't prioritize getting organic, I can stock up there, like onions, cabbage, carrots, and other things on the "Clean 15" list. Many of their produce items are higher quality than the higher end stores. One of the reasons they have lower prices is volume, and another is that they don't take credit cards. No problem.

A lot of people of diverse ethnic background shop there, so they have a lot of varied produce. It's where I get Napa and daikon for fermenting. They have nopales. They have many kinds of chiles. They have chayote. They have burdock. They always have bok choi. And ... they have JICAMA!!!! Well, after all, another name for it is "Mexican Turnip," and there was a whole big pile of them. They were firm. OH. YEAH! I took one home.

I just cut into it to put a bunch on a big salad. Oh, it's so good. I forgot how good. Crisp. Sweet. Delicious.

Adding some nutritional yeast to my salads means I get all nine essential amino acids. I am embarrassed to admit that until recently I didn't realize that yeast is a complete protein. It is! Adds fiber, too.

I also roasted some more sweet potatoes this evening. Tonight I used hazelnut oil instead of olive oil, and I seasoned them with salt, pepper, Hatch green chile powder, and cinnamon. The cinnamon and hazelnut oil, combined with the green chile made them DIVINE.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    This one had ~some~ produce. Not much. Just carrot, celery, onion, and LOTS of garlic. It had other plants though. I just don't consider dried split peas or hulled barley "produce." Should I describe it? No? Well too bad; here it is.

I have been picking up and putting down a container of dried split peas for weeks. I know I wanted them, I just had other things I wanted to cook. I'm trying to use up any dried legumes from last year so I can get some fresh. They last a long time, but they can take longer to cook if they're old. Plus - they are so tasty.

I also have been wanting to cook barley for weeks. Instead I have been making some kind of brown rice, wild rice, or quinoa. Because I like those too. Well today I used both.

I perused some recipes after searching for "split pea and barley." I found some, and I took inspiration and made some soup. It was super easy to make, and it is already delicious. If any lasts until tomorrow, it will be better. I should go put some away because a quart of soup is probably enough for one meal....

I started with a pound of split peas and some hulled barley (not pearl barley - it has the hull removed but not the bran). I usually buy Streaker Barley which doesn't even have hulls, and to be honest, that might be what I had. I put it in my wonderful 6-quart enameled cast iron Dutch Oven and added some water. I added some salt, the obligatory seven bay leaves from the yard, and some herbs and spices (cumin and thyme mostly). After about 20 minutes simmering with the lid on, I added a bunch of chopped carrots and celery, a half onion chopped, a chopped serrano chile (seeds, placenta, and all), and a whole glove of garlic coarsely chopped. Lid back on for another half hour while I searched for my two "extra" hummingbird feeders (we're going to have very cold temperatures and not go above freezing for several days, so I wan to alternate them to keep my little friends happy and healthy - and I still haven't found them).

That's it.

I sprinkled a little Maldon Salt over my bowl as I used a light hand when I salted the peas and grains. It's a complete protein, it's filling, and it warmed my head to toe. I needed that. I ate two large bowls. I bet it would be good with a little ginger. Maybe next time because I'll make it again.

I still have some of my garbanzo salad from two days ago, I'm soaking some mayocoba beans to cook tomorrow, and my bean sprouts should be ready soon. I think the next thing I want to cook is short grain brown rice with lentils. I have LOTS of brown lentils, but I think I'll go with French green lentils. Either way - it will help me use up the rest of last year's legumes and then I'll restock.

Did I mention I love beans? And cast iron? And now that pressure cooker, but it wasn't the right tool for this job.

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I never posted what I did with the leftover Christmas turkey. Similar produce content to @mtaratoot's post above me, actually. First I cut the meat into bite-sized chunks. We weren't able to go out this year due to illness in the household so we had care packages dropped off from both sides of the family and the turkey hubby's cousin cooked was tough. Not dry, but the meat was hard to cut. I don't understand it eithet. But I digress....

I chopped a bunch of carrot and celery, and minced a fair bit of garlic. I love Russian red but only had 1 clove left, so I used some of the white one that's easiest to find here year-round (not sure of the variety name) as well. Dumped it in the slow cooker with brown lentils and pot barley, some Better Than Boullion - I used some of each, chicken and vegetable - and water.

7 hours later... soup that not only I but my whole family (and the kid's a picky eater) were very happy with!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Bagna cauda is a great way to eat lots of raw or blanched veg. It is not exactly low calorie being garlic, anchovies, olive oil and butter. Bread is used to help transport the veg from the communal pot to the plate. It gets eaten once it is soaked in the garlicky, salty dip. This was a starter for six people who couldn't believe we finished all the veg.
    kqdt9vt57b12.jpeg
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    cbik8yawo2fb.jpg
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Hmm....looks outstanding....strawberries, blueberries, dill, jalapeno????
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

What looks like dill could also be fennel fronds.

• widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

@888Angie888 correct to all 😀 there's also some onion pickled in lemon juice hidden in there. Topped with chopped mixed nuts and a piece of salmon post produce photo 😉
  • acpgee
    Options
    I roasted and peeled a bunch of red peppers this week. Any ideas on what to do with them besides eating them plain as a side?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I roasted and peeled a bunch of red peppers this week. Any ideas on what to do with them besides eating them plain as a side?

I like them on sandwiches/tacos, in pasta dishes, pureed as a sauce for pasta or veggies, on pizza, in hearty soups or stews, in egg salad or similar, . . . .

I don't think I've ever just eaten them plain as a side. Hmmm. ;)