NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @trooworld Small steps is a good start. Also it makes change more sustainable. @cbabie Too bad about the sickness. I’m tired of the cold, too. It’s 34 now. @saybyebob Too funny about your ride counting as rowing. It’s good that you exercised. @theslightedgeforever Good job on the walking. Hi, all. Dinner last night was good. My son cooked. When he cooks there are a lot of dishes to wash. Luckily my son-in-law helped. Tonight I am making pork burgers from a Milk Street cookbook. I’m using low-fat ground pork. It’s an Indian recipe so I will make DH one without the spices. I have lettuce and tomato plus frozen sweet potato fries. Today is a swim day.
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    @cbabie Aww, I'm glad you have such a close relationship with your grandson. He must be very special. Your poor dogs...my dogs were affected as well. I'm glad the baby slept through it. I can't believe you guys don't like Thai food! It's my fave! Liking bland has its advantages, I think: less heartburn.

@fabgeekmom Yeah I still have lights on my porch I forgot to take down. Oh well. I'll take them down eventually lol. Great job staying active!

@theslightedgeforever Good job with the walk and staying near your point goal!

@saybyebob Great job with the bike! And water!

Hi all. I had my consultation with the bariatric surgeon yesterday. I weighed in at 0.4 lbs away from my highest weight ever. Not good. But I did qualify for surgery based on the weight alone. It will take 6 months to get through the nutritional counseling/physician-supervised weight loss program (seeing a dietician) and then another 7 months to get on the surgery schedule, so I'm likely not looking at surgery until 2025. Plenty of time to work on getting this weight off as much as possible. MFP Premium has a new 7-day plan called Big Changes Start with Small Steps. I signed up to do it. I have a lot to change this year. It starts today.

Water yesterday: 50 oz

My phrase for the year: "New year, new me!"

You got this! We are here for you. I signed up for that plan as well.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    @saybyebob Yaaay on using the bike. I don't like bike exercises either. Ha on the boat. Sounds more impressive than just riding a bike. Nice on the water. You are starting out the year really good.

@trooworld I'll look into the Big Changes or whatever it's called. lol Too lazy to scroll back up and look. I'll just tweak it to my points. What other health goals can you work on while you wait for your surgery? I see you did an uptake in water too. Woohoo!

@cbabie Sorry about the sickness. Wear warmer clothes LOL Drink sugar free hot chocolate. That helps. I only seem to get heartburn if I eat chocolate before bedtime. Or if I drink OJ.

@fabgeekmom How were the pork burgers and your swim? All week I've been planning to make that Moroccan chicken dish you once talked about. It keeps getting pushed back day by day. Maybe Friday.

@gemwolf110 I'll go join that thing you and @trooworld did. We can do it together.

I walked 20 min today in the mall. I made lentil soup with lots of cumin and turmeric. It was good. Cornbread to go along side. Should have pretracked instead of eating the second piece and then tracking.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    @cbabie It's cold here, too. Oh no! I hope everyone gets over it quickly. Thank you for your support. My problem is I get impatient to see results and my portions are too big of the wrong things. DH is supportive. Oh heartburn is the worst lol. I wish you focus this year.

@fabgeekmom Yes! LOL when my DH cooks, it's the same way. Why can't they do dishes as they cook like I do? LOL How did the burgers come out? They sound interesting.

@gemwolf110 Thanks! I appreciate it. Yeah, that program sounds good.

@theslightedgeforever If you open your app and hit PLANS, you should find it. ;) I am focusing on tracking and water right now. I will add other goals when I speak to the dietician next week. Good job with the walk. The soup sounds good.

Hi all. It's 46F here right now, which is bone cold lol. It's not going to get warm today, a high of 50s. Yesterday, thanks to the plan, I pretracked. I was pretty close to being at my calorie goal but then I had snacks (an apple and some veggie straws) which put me over. I do not regret those snacks, I needed them and they were mostly healthy. I went over by 435 cals. Today, I pretracked the snacks I will have and I'm still over by 237 cals. Not too bad and I will end the day at 1,748 cals which is acceptable to me. Tonight, I'm making Caramelized Onion, Apple and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash for dinner.

Water yesterday: 89 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld Your dinner sounds really good. So I joined that plan and did all my tracking. Which is never the problem. Portion control would probably be it.

Today is a planned off day for exercise. I'm going to check my diary for last week to see if I can spot some patterns.
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld Good job on tracking. Pre tracking, too. You are off to a good start. Hi, all. The pork burgers were good. I gave my DH what I prepared and he liked it. The recipe had no ginger in it. That’s the spice he’s not crazy about. In case anyone is interested, I combined 1 pound of lean ground pork, 2 egg yolks, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 5 teaspoons each of paprika and garam masala, 2/3 cup panko crumbs and 2 teaspoons garlic powder. I refrigerated it for 15 minutes and air fried it for 8 minutes, flipping halfway. I ate mine on a low calorie hamburger bun with Greek yogurt, lettuce and tomato. I rode my recumbent bike while I listened to an audiobook.
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    Hi, all. I forgot one ingredient:1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
  • saybyebob
    saybyebob Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, Not on computer much since I went back to work. I also got my decorations put away. Having trouble keeping a diary of food, I might start just jotting it down in a note book instead of try to log it here. It truly is stopping me from eating things I shouldn't because I know I will need to log it.

@trooworld I also seen the bariatric surgeon a few years back, got approved but couldn't take the time off for all the appointments I chocked it up to everything happens for a reason. I'm now 30lbs heavier then I was at that time. I wonder if I had the surgery what I might look like now.

Weigh in tomorrow. I hope I lost something.

ByeBOB
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Evening guys, sorry on here late. It's been a day. I got the Christmas stuff put away, house cleaned and hopefully disinfected as much as possible, washed bedding, clothes, stuffed animals. I am ready to be sickness free. No exercises for me, eating wasn't the best as well. I just ate PB and a cup of ice cream for dinner. Family had pizza and I don't eat that.

@trooworld good for you for pretracking and are okay with your choices. I agree, they were healthy choices..could have been chocolate fudge..LOL

@theslightedgeforever I am the most layered person in my home..LOL. I just an always cold and the 2nd go around of sick, I think came from my little friend from Alaska...LOL

@fabgeekmom I don't eat pork, makes me retain water..but it sounded good, however, I am like your DH..I would leave at the cayenne pepper LOL

@gemwolf110 I saw that plan, I might go back and check it out.

Cbabie
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    8faxhlrxsuva.jpeg

Can’t believe it’s already Friday! I’ve tracked most days this week! Unfortunately, I went over all of the daily nutrient goals so that’s something I need to work on. But tracking is definitely a good first step. Didn’t get my exercise in this week. Got a chunk of my schoolwork done at least. 2 of 3 assignments completed and submitted. Whoohoo.

Weekend is looking to be good. Busy Saturday and Sunday might be just relaxing or continuing work on organizing the house. Goal is to have it ready to go if I’m in the position to sell in a few years and buy a house in the country. Hindsight I should have bought a house in the country originally but wasn’t thinking. Live and learn right?

Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!

~ Missy

nx63hpy3goiw.jpeg
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever It was! Here's the recipe, keep in mind it is originally a Paleo and Whole30 recipe: http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sausage-stuffed-acorn-squash-paleo-whole30/ Hopefully the challenge will have something to help you with portion control. I have a hard time with that as well. I hope you enjoyed your rest day.

@fabgeekmom Thank you! Which Milk Street cookbook is that from? I may have it. Those sound good. Great job with the bike!

@saybyebob Some people just take pics of the food before they eat it and log it later, I don't know if that would help you? That's good that it is stopping you from eating things you shouldn't. I wondered about all the appointments, so far, it's not bad. I have to see the nutritionist once a month. I have a psych eval which is a one-and-done deal. Both of those are over the phone. I don't feel like I have a choice: I've been trying to lose for 30 years now with nothing more than fleeting success. I wish you the best on your journey. Good luck with the weigh-in today!

@cbabie Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday. Thanks, yes, it could have been chocolate fudge lol mmmm.

@gemwolf110 I'm GLAD it's Friday! That's great you tracked most days. I have, too. I also went over. Way to get those assignments done! Enjoy your day!

Hi all. I gained more weight this week: 0.8 lbs. Looking back at what I ate this week, I'm not that surprised. Speaking of eating, last night's recipe was really good. Here's a pic below.

Water yesterday: 84 oz

i48h8u0xhlzo.jpg
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    @theslightedgeforever It was! Here's the recipe, keep in mind it is originally a Paleo and Whole30 recipe: http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sausage-stuffed-acorn-squash-paleo-whole30/ Hopefully the challenge will have something to help you with portion control. I have a hard time with that as well. I hope you enjoyed your rest day.

@fabgeekmom Thank you! Which Milk Street cookbook is that from? I may have it. Those sound good. Great job with the bike!

@saybyebob Some people just take pics of the food before they eat it and log it later, I don't know if that would help you? That's good that it is stopping you from eating things you shouldn't. I wondered about all the appointments, so far, it's not bad. I have to see the nutritionist once a month. I have a psych eval which is a one-and-done deal. Both of those are over the phone. I don't feel like I have a choice: I've been trying to lose for 30 years now with nothing more than fleeting success. I wish you the best on your journey. Good luck with the weigh-in today!

@cbabie Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday. Thanks, yes, it could have been chocolate fudge lol mmmm.

@gemwolf110 I'm GLAD it's Friday! That's great you tracked most days. I have, too. I also went over. Way to get those assignments done! Enjoy your day!

Hi all. I gained more weight this week: 0.8 lbs. Looking back at what I ate this week, I'm not that surprised. Speaking of eating, last night's recipe was really good. Here's a pic below.

Water yesterday: 84 oz

i48h8u0xhlzo.jpg

Those look delicious 😋
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld It’s The World in a Skillet. The recipe looked good. Probably filling as well. Too bad about the gain but looking back will be helpful. @gemwolf110 Good job on tracking and getting school work done. @saybyebob I find pre tracking helpful. @cbabie I hope sickness leaves your household. Hi, all. Last night I microwaved a meal I made before Christmas. It was the American goulash from Skinnytaste. Today is a swim day. Also our steak night. My milk frother broke so I ordered a new one. I’ll have to make do without one for a few days.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I have been up most of the night with the baby. I am trying to be productive until I am sure I will need a nap, (won't ). LOL. I have my breakfast, I need to track. That's where to start. I am going to make a good effort to exercise today. I guess I am struggling with myself as I read something that makes me not care to push as hard...losing weight is 80% nutrition 20% exercise. LOL

@trooworld Sorry about your gain, I think you know what tweaks you need to make and you will do it. You are determined or you wouldn't have been trying all this time to change your habits.

@fabgeekmom We love goulash, I just have people that live here that won't eat left overs..weird because I raised them to eat leftovers. LOL

@gemwolf110 sounds like you have been very productive and focused on the things you need to get accomplished. good for you.

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    @gemwolf110 Thanks, they were!

@fabgeekmom Oh I think I may have that one, I'll have to look. Yes, it was filling and good. I love the American Goulash from ST. I hope you enjoyed swimming and steak night. I have a milk frother I love. I only use it when I make espresso but maybe I should for regular coffee as well!

@cbabie Oh dear, that's not a good start to your day. I hope you can catch up on that sleep. I am very aware of that thing you read and it's one thing that makes me not so enthusiastic to exercise lol. I always think about that. I am determined!

Hi all. I woke up with a migraine. For those that don't know, I used to get them more frequently, but haven't gotten one in a few months. Today's the day, I guess lol. I took some medication but it's a double-edged sword: it works but it makes me nauseous. I have a lot to do today so I don't want that migraine impeding my efforts. Enjoy your day.

Water yesterday: 64 oz

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @cbabie @trooworld It is daunting to realize that exercise only contributes 20% to weight loss! What motivates me to exercise is more than weight loss. I just feel so much better when I get activity. I have arthritis and would hurt more if I didn’t exercise. Hi, all! Steak dinner was good. I roasted a spaghetti squash for our vegetable. I’ll have some for lunch with my sandwich, soup and yogurt. My cousin brought us homemade molasses cookies. I only ate one. I wanted a second one. Tonight we’re going to a Thai restaurant. I told my DH that this morning and he didn’t look happy. He can order the chicken pad Thai which is what he gets there. I want the tofu noodle soup. We cater to him most of the time.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom That's a good point. I do eat better when I exercise. I'm glad you are going somewhere YOU want to go! Enjoy the Thai!
  • trooworld
    Options
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld I read that article. I never counted potatoes as a vegetable but I do count winter squash as a vegetable.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @fabgeekmom I think I'll try your recipe tomorrow. I'll use ground chicken or turkey instead. I have everything else in the house. Plus buns. Yaaay on the bike.

@saybyebob Tracking is tracking no matter where it is. Whatever helps you lose weight the most to be healthy. Bariatric patients can gain back weight too. So you will never really know which way it would have went. It still requires behavior change I think.

@cbabie Walk me through your thinking of it's okay to eat PB and ice cream but not pizza. I'm thinking you might say well it makes me swell up. But then it's just water weight, right? What goes up must come down. But is it possible to gain weight from the PB and ice cream? Plus sugar that would contribute to pre-diabetes/diabetes. What if you told yourself I don't eat ice cream or I don't eat PB? Just trying to get you to see what a mindset change might be. I hope you have washed all the sickness out of your house. Exercise is good for strengthening bones as we age, helps us with mobility as we age, doing things around the house like carrying groceries or other things. It releases endorphins. So many things it does.

@gemwolf110 Woohoo on your tracking. You just reminded me I need to check in with that snakk steps challenge were are doing and see what the next tasks are. The house in the country sounds nice.

@trooworld Thank you for the recipe. Your food pic looks really good. Does your bariatric doc want you to keep gaining? What are the guidelines for this?

I attended an all-day webinar yesterday on goal setting. So I have mine all set up for the year then broken down into quarters, monthly, and weekly. :) All I need to focus on is the daily part and DO IT.

I walked the mall this morning. I had leftovers for lunch. Apple cauliflower salad and a white bean with peppers dish. I weighed in and lost 1.4 lbs. First week of 2024: success