What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,901 Member
    Ziti puttanesca with the weird celery/bean/mushroom/feta salad from last week's Washington post.
    2dsun69dmbxh.jpeg

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,726 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    the weird celery/bean/mushroom/feta salad from last week's Washington post.
    :#:D So how was it?
  • acpgee
    Beef rendang pulled out from the batch, cooked sous vide two weekends ago. The asian salads were Bep Vuyk's recipe for tomato lalab and a cucumber with black sesame dressing. Last night's leftover celery salad from the weird Washington Post recipe.
    6tmter50sue8.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Pan fried sea bass, some Peruvian aji verde pulled out of the freezer, air fryer oven chips, sauteed spinach, a little leftover Waldorf from last night.
    sgcjh3my7xzv.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 459 Member
    ynufvodv38db.jpeg
    dsoq79bw1mlb.jpeg
    I had rehearsal tonight so got home late. Dinner of odds and ends from the fridge. Breakfast was smoked salmon/cream cheese/toast. My goal was to have breakfast everyday this week and so far I’ve succeeded!
  • acpgee
    Still practicing for Japanese dinner party the first week of March. I have not nailed kakiage which I want to served warmed up in the air fryer or oven so as not to deep fry while guests are here. This time I tried rice flour which was lighter and crispier than my usual potato starch+wheat flour combo, but only crisped up on reheating after getting too dark in colour. I tried an easy home style tuna salad maki rolls which are tinned tuna mixed with wasabi mayo. Dinner party sushi will be California roll temaki because that is a lot less work for a crowd.
    qh7ydja6bwcf.jpeg
    ld8vyriw5i98.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,346 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Starter of taktouki and toast. Main of sous vide lamb leg, mash, Moroccan carrots with chermoula. A gravy made with the liquid from the sous vide bag and sherry under the meat, and two Peruvian anticucho sauces (red and yellow from the Nobu cookbook) on the side.
    xg2o8v8ubql2.jpeg
    u307i3oct734.jpeg

Yum!!!! 😋
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Trying to make more of an effort w. Breakfast. I bought a Costco-sized smoked salmon and I live alone so :smiley:

I have the ambition, but haven't cleared the time, to actually cure my own from fresh. Maybe it's time to re-up my Costco membership.
    I don't know where you are, but I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a bit, so there isn't a salmon I've met that I didn't like. I treat myself to lox occasionally, but prefer to bake or grill it when I can.
    There was (and maybe still is) a seafood supplier in Tacoma, WA, on the Puget Sound, that sold smoked fish (woodsmoked fish) that was just terrific. Johnny's, or something like that. Truly sublime.

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited February 27
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    There was (and maybe still is) a seafood supplier in Tacoma, WA, on the Puget Sound, that sold smoked fish (woodsmoked fish) that was just terrific. Johnny's, or something like that. Truly sublime.
    Okay you have my attention. Is this the place? https://www.nwadventures.us/JBistro.html
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 14,079 Member
    Okay you have my attention. Is this the place? https://www.nwadventures.us/JBistro.html

Yes. Followed your link. Actually, I think back then it was just actually "Johnny's Dock" as mentioned in the article. 1985 was the last time I shopped there (visited Seattle/Tacoma area a few times, moved to the area in 1970 for a bit). My uncle kept a boat nearby. In 1985 I bought a bunch of smoked seafood - salmon and other species, don't remember the details (I want to say kelp greenling was one type, because I had also just completed a weeklong diving excursion with family friends in the San Juan Islands as part of this trip, and they were all spearfishers [I was the camera guy], and they got some greenling [I think - memories fade] at a submerged rock reef partway to Victoria), but it was all good stuff I bought. Dry smoked (wood smoked), so it wasn't like lox, and I had it dry-ice-packed for the flight home East in a big foam cooler.

If you're in the area, and do stop in there, let me know how it went to satisfy my curiosity, please.

Dry smoked or lox, it divides the world sometimes. Me, I'm just on team salmon, all types. I went to school in Michigan, and the first time I put lox in our dorm fridge, my roommate, from northern MI, was shocked - "You've got raw fish in there!" LOL (this was 1972 lox wasn't seen often there). My older daughter married up in Ontario CA, and I always make a point of picking up some maple-smoked salmon at the duty free when returning home. It isn't as good as I remember the Johnny's smoked salmon, but is better than nothing.

Sorry for length, guess I'm in a chatty mood this evening.

Maybe Ling Cod. It's actually a type of greenling even though it's got "cod" in the name. They are in markets a lot more than kelp greenling. They are delicious.

A lot of lox these days is made from Atlantic salmon. I don't eat those. Lox can be hot smoked or cold smoked or can be cured with sugar and salt (gravlax).

Until recently, there was a local company that made really good lox from Pacific salmon.

There's a place down in Charleston, Oregon that has a smoker and makes the BEST smoked fish.