Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Glad that somebody revived this thread because it is inspiring and needed it.
    I am also working in cleaning up and organizing my closet, and a little bit at the time donating things that I no longer wear or need. But I am having trouble letting them go. I have a bag with items not good enough for the donation bin, but the fabric can be recycled and kept away from the trash can. I need to find a site nearby or even pay to mail it to places located in other cities of states, if necessary. I have a list of organizations; I just need to put my act together and make a choice. Maybe writing about it will motivate me.
    Donating or recycling books are also in my "must do" list, but it is a slow process of detachment.
    Nothing is out of order or cluttering the house and everything is in its place, and I think that it's the reason I don't act on these goals promptly. But I am getting there.
    Hopefully, we will get some inspiring posting to keep this thread and my goals going.
    G.

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,841 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    A plastic bag full of old and not longer relevant study books went to the recycling bin. A part of my past has been trashed, but I am keeping the memories and the knowledge.
    But I am sad..... :(

@Gisel2015 Perhaps it will ease the pain if you think about all the space you have now to find things that will make new memories and/or bring new knowledge. You are right.....you haven't lost any of the old memories or the knowledge.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    My husband move from another country to my house. He had to be ruthless with what he left behind and took here. I'm sure it was painful to leave behind some beautiful memories and items. He did sell a lot on Facebook Marketplace, but he learned to make the prices quite cheap. But a lot of big items like the couch and table and chairs sold quickly.

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Went through some of my desk drawers as the layers were getting deeper. How many pens and highlighters do I need? So I took a big bagful into work for the front so the parents can walk off with them.
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    In a past post here, someone wrote "I'm mentally ready to go through my closet." That was me today. I am such a disorganized person and I loathe that about myself. So, I'm going to try to get organized this year and stay that way.

I got rid of a bunch of body sprays and scented lotions, mostly gifted to me and some a decade old probably that were under my bathroom sink. I don't typically wear stuff like that so these days if I get it, I just regift it to my daughters. I should have regifted it to anyone else a long time ago. It may have prevented some waste.

@loveychar Great start to your new you & new life! No regrets!
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Sorry to hear about your issues with pick ups. I’ve only done it once in my lifetime and typically only did large furniture items.

Nowadays it seems like they are 3-5weeks out for scheduling pick ups so I never think to bother.

Anything else I’ve just loaded up the car.

I’m fortunate to live less than a mile away from a thrift store. Plus there are others to choose from.
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    @cory17 I know it’s hard to release clothing you’ve never worn. I’ve got a couple of pieces in my closet like that. But while Decluttering, I’m trying to think about how I’m creating an opportunity for another person to experience joy from using an item or a find because of me. I know I’ve been grateful for times I’ve thrifted a found donated shoes and clothes for my toddler son that fit him perfectly in times past. I now get to pay that feeling forward.

And my library only allows donations 2 days a week and 2 bags or boxes a day—curious if it’s per person or household 🤔 That fact will be a game changer for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!